The Rebuild...

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Re: The Rebuild...

Post by Madcombinepilot »

So, when we finish 30th, we will have the usual 50% chance of drafting 5th? :lol:
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

It's a must that we finish 31st so we get the 4th overall pick. It's the only way we stay in the top 4 by finishing 31st
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Really?? What's the difference between 4th and 5th? Once your out of top 3 (arguably 2) what's the difference?!?

Just accept it.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:47 pm Really?? What's the difference between 4th and 5th? Once your out of top 3 (arguably 2) what's the difference?!?

Just accept it.
No shit. What’s the difference between having the choice of Olli Juolevi, Jesse Pulujarvi, Matt Tkachuk and Colton Keller when you were going to pick Olli anyways.

I’ve already prepared myself that there’s no way the Canucks are picking Brady Tkachuk if they have the opportunity. Linden hates the fact that his old man used to bounce Trevor around the rink
Last edited by Blob Mckenzie on Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

That reminds me. I've heard very little about the progress of Juolevi.
I suppose if there is nothing glaringly bad or good, there is simply not much to chat about.
Guess we wait till late summer.
Actually, it's quite interesting. He didn't want to go back to London, and I remember agreeing with him.
BUT: Had he, would Evan Bouchard been his team-mate?
Holy Shit- :shock:
"evolution"
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

micky107 wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:07 am That reminds me. I've heard very little about the progress of Juolevi.
I suppose if there is nothing glaringly bad or good, there is simply not much to chat about.
Guess we wait till late summer.
Actually, it's quite interesting. He didn't want to go back to London, and I remember agreeing with him.
BUT: Had he, would Evan Bouchard been his team-mate?
Holy Shit- :shock:
He was Bouchard’s defence partner the season before
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Right. So if we don't win the 1st, this has a pretty distinctive odor about what we will do...
"evolution"
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Hey Blob: You want Brady, don't you?
It's very tempting.
"evolution"
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

micky107 wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:13 am Right. So if we don't win the 1st, this has a pretty distinctive odor about what we will do...
The 2018 draft for your Canucks potentially will be 2016 2.0. I see a scenario, if not picking 1st, whereby Benning will take a defencemen ahead of any of Tkachuk, Svechnikov and Zadina if any of them or a combo of are still on the table. I'm OK with a D-man getting picked ahead of Zadina but not Tkachuk and Svechnikov.

I'm not happy with the Juolevi selection but that being said I'm not writing him off because he was the less desirable choice.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:47 pm Really?? What's the difference between 4th and 5th? Once your out of top 3 (arguably 2) what's the difference?!?

Just accept it.
I'd like the pick to stay in the top 3, but you're right, I could see Benning picking a D at 4 if Zadina is the one available. I'd be horrified if Benning took one of the other D outside of Dahlin if Tkachuk or Svechnikov are still available but wouldn't be surprised, it's the Benning way
nuckster
MVP
MVP

Post by nuckster »

Good morning to all of you hard-core loser Canuck 'plebes'. I found my mind ruminating about a couple Canuck related issues this am, and since most of us have the day off, there's actually time to put it into words on the 'corner'.

So I caution you right at the outset, this is a bit of a rant, so hang in.

I was really looking fwd to a piece of the Canuck rebuild that took place last night. Here we have the debut of a young player who is a Hobey Baker finalist (hell, Brock Boeser wasn't a finalist) and what does Green do with him?? He slots him on the 4th line with a player returning from an injury and another rookie who drifts between being a 'plug' and an occasional opportunistic goal scorer; all told, Gaudette gets 9+ minutes. I would bet money, that more people were interested in watching Gaudette last night than were actually concerned about winning (but the jury may be out on that one). So what in hell is the philosophical mind-set of our coach and leadership at this point in the rebuild??

Many if not most fans can appreciate the benefit that exists in finishing low in the standings at this time of year, even if the lottery can bump a team 3 spots back (it think it's 3?). Being assured of a high draft pick for a rebuilding team is crucial. Yet, we have the coach playing vets a significant portion of the time in what appears to be an all out bid to win as many games as he/they can down the final stretch. Interesting dynamic to have a large proportion of fans hoping to see a loss and acquire a higher quality draft pick, vs a coach and a team with many 'so-so' vets looking to win and prove themselves. Where were the frikin 'want to win' vets over the course of the season when wins meant something? So drag the Canuck fans along for a miserable losing ride over the course of the season, and then down the stretch when jockeying for draft position means something, proceed to fuck yourself for the upcoming draft by winning as much as you can. I know, I know about the competitive mind-set of players and how it'sunreasonable to suggest that they 'ease up' or not try. But hey man, mgt could insist on playing the fucking rookies more and we have a back-up goalie that could really help to set the stage for the kind of outcomes that we need right now! The 'schizophrenic' life of being a Canuck fan. Don't get me started on Markstrom - frikin ass plays like an AHL back-up most of the year and now he has found his groove apparently just in time to help fuck up our 'cause' and influence Benning to think that he could/should be our number one next year (granted, if he plays like he is now, over the course of next year, I'll drive his children to school everyday!).

Goldobin looked good last night, and no doubt, Green is teaching Virtanen how to be a player - Green has huge up-side to how he coaches. It appears however that he has a mind-set towards rookies that involves a general 'all rookies need to start at the bottom and work their way up' approach. He had Boeser sit out the first two games of the season - can you imagine that? Boeser only cracked the line-up when he did because of injuries in the line-up. In the case of Gaudette, here's a guy that has all kinds of potential to be much more than a 3rd or 4th line plug - and fans were excited to see him cause hey he's a significant part of our REBUILD, a frikin rebuild. So lets put him out there with players that would even drag Crosby down. Then there's Leipsic?? What the hell? He gets to play with Horvat and is put on the first line in his debut - I mean WTF? Inconsistent much Green?

It seems that over the course of the year there are so many decision-making pieces that just don't add up - from on ice coaching decisions, to Benning's apparent inability to acquire more draft-pick issues, and then re-signing and going fwd with a group on defense that is essentially the worst in the whole NHL. I don't have confidence in this leadership's ability to actually create and manage a high end team in the NHL. Yet, I'll continue to follow them and hope for the best; any success they have will be greatly valued :) Thanks for indulging my diatribe. All the best to you all this long weekend!
cc oldtimer
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

I agree with you nuckster
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

rats19 wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:04 am I agree with you nuckster
Me 2.

A problem with a lot of coaches.

Maybe Green wanted to ease him for his first game. If he is still on the 4th line in 2-3 games from now then I see a bigger issue.

The D is horrid and as I posted before, sell Edler now, get some assets back that can help this team in the 20/21 season when this team should be starting to look like a contender.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

It's a bit frustrating, I was under the impression with Green like I was under the impression with Willie that these 2 were going to give the kids some slack in the rope, trial by fire, but just doesn't seem to be the case. The disconnect with what the fans want again rages on, I guess this little meaningless win streak means something to the coach and vets, the fans don't really dig it. Reminds me of Wilbrods great finish to his rookie campaign, winning a bunch, pushing us further up the standings but thankfully we snagged Boeser at 23. Regardless we are still getting a good prospect if we manage to stay in the top 10. My dream of drafting Dahlin is fading very fast, just gotta hope we pull a New Jersey, Philly or Dallas at the lottery, and not a Vancouver.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

This is why we are all ca-sucks.

We suck at winning and then we suck even worse at losing.

Hooray for that winning culture though
If you need air...call it in