Rebooted - Which FA’s will be back for the 2024-25 season?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Which FA’s will be back next season?

Blueger
6%
Cole
5%
DeSmith
1%
Hronek
16%
Joshua
17%
Lafferty
No votes
Lindholm
8%
Myers
12%
Silovs
18%
Zadorov
17%

Total votes: 77

Meds
MVP
MVP

Rebooted - Which FA’s will be back for the 2024-25 season?

Post by Meds »

Lots of talk about this in a few threads. Why not put it here with a poll…..

*Friedman not included because poll limit is 10 options…..and really he shouldn’t be back.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Rebooted - Which FA’s will be back for the 2024-25 season?

Post by Cornuck »

Interesting list, and I'm thankful we have a competent management team to deal with this. I'll pick some that I think 'should' stay - but realize we might not have room for them all.

Sivlos - a given for sure, and should be a reasonable signing.

Zaderov - He's proven himself throughout the year and stepped up in the playoffs
Myers - if he's affordable - much less chaos
Hronek - Big question here is how much he'll ask for. Does he want to stay or cash in?

Joshua - same question as Hronek. I'd like to see him stay.
Lindholm - Not sure we can afford him, but if Management can work some miracle, he might be back.

Blueger, Cole, Lafferty - sign cheap or replace a month or two after July 1st.
Raile
MVP
MVP

Post by Raile »

Blueger would be a disappointing one to let get away. He's playing a role that sometimes is called "easily replaceable cheap", and then we've spent a decade having a below league average bottom six.

Cole I think has been better than sometimes gets credit for, but at his age I'm not expecting him to be back for what we can afford to give him. And I'm ok with that.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Cole will come back I think. He's been a pretty steady , low event d-man for us (nevermind the last game 1st period)and I think he likes this management/coaching group alot.
If you need air...call it in
Picker of Cherries
CC Veteran

Post by Picker of Cherries »

I think Zadorov and Joshua might get a huge offer from a few teams, way more than we are thinking. If I were their agent, I’d definitely see what Free Agency offers, so I think they are gone. :(
“Gentlemen, you can't fight in here. This is the war room.”
- President Merkin Muffley
theman
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by theman »

Posted this in another thread, but will repost here:
Current D with current age and cap hit (in millions):

Hughes (24)- $7.85
Myers (34) - $6
Hronek (26) - $4.4
Zadorov (29)- $3.75

Soucey (29)- $3.25
Cole (35) - $3
Juulsen - 775 K

Bolded are the guys that would need to be re-signed for next year.

Might not be as bad as we fear to keep most of them together. Think a lot will depend on Zadorov and Cole. Would Cole be willing to take another 1 year deal but for between 1 - 2 mil per? That would help a lot. Also think we would see Myers and Hronek's number flip. Something like Hronek get 7 mil and Myers around 3 mil.

Would Zadorov be willing to sign for between 4.5 - 5 mil per? If so, think it is possible to bring most of these guys back next year. Only way I think the Canucks could get him for around 5 mil per is if they go the long term deal route.

some extra cap savings can be had with Silovs becoming the back up next year for around 1 mil per. That would save about 800k in cap space, which could be huge for the Canucks next year.
Looking at the forwards, it is much more difficult to figure something out.

Name - current age - current cap hit in mil (except for Petey)

Pettersson (25) - $11.6
Miller (31) - $8
Boeser (27) - $6.65
Garland (28) - $4.95
Lindholm (29) - $4.85
Mikheyev (29) - $4.75
Blueger (29) - $1.9
Suter (27) - $1.6
Lafferty (29) - $1.15
Hoglander (23) - $1.1
Aman (24) - $.825
Joshua (27) - $.825
Di Giuseppe (30) - $.775

Honestly, can't really see a situation where Lindholm returns to the Canucks, short of him taking a major 'home town' discount. Would he really sign for around 5 mil per? Would be shocked if he was willing to do that.

I would try to bring back Blueger but for a 2/3 year deal at around 1.5 mil per. How much will Joshua want? Doubt he takes another contract for under a mil, he will be looking for a decent raise after revitalizing his worth this season.

Also, think we will see both Letterkenny and Poldz in the line up next year, maybe Raty too, pretty much have to have ELC's to make up the forward core next year.

Petey's raise will pretty much eat up the cap increase this year. Also the Canucks need to deal with OEL's dead cap buy out this year too. I guess Poolman's LTIR cap hit will cover that dead cap for this year so the Canucks will literally be working with this year's cap ceiling for next year.
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

Cole
Joshua
Myers
Silovs
Zadorov

adjustments...
el rey del mambo
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

I agree with Corn regarding our management team's general competence. With the exception of $11.6M of bad spending they have been pretty good.....and there is still 14 months for them to correct that financial malfeasance. That was why I picked who I picked.....not who I think should be, but who will be back.

Zadorov has surpassed everyone on the blueline depth chart except for Hughes. Going back to the beginning of March he really stepped into a role here. Timeline fits with a guy who was acquired in a mid-season trade finding his footing. He brings exactly what you need, particularly in the playoffs. I can only see him becoming better and making smarter decisions if he stays here working with Foote and Gonchar. While I think Hronek is still a more skilled player overall, I suspect that his ask will be such that JR/PA will prioritize Big Z and trade Hronek in a sign and trade or trade and sign situation. I would be happy with a high 2nd rounder and blueline prospect that projects as a #4 or a lower 2nd round pick and a better prospect.

Myers gives me the impression that he really likes playing in Vancouver. His off-season home is in Kelowna, and he's at the age where few contending teams will offer him significant money with any kind of term. I can easily see him giving the team a Sedin-level discount on a 3 year term. He's another guy who has shown incredible improvement with the new coaches and having a big, strong, blueline, has been a huge factor in our success this season. Unless we see his mobility dropping off to Lucic level sluggishness before he's 37, I hope he sticks around.

Silovs - For obvious reasons. We've seen flashes of a guy who could succeed Demko, certainly he will come cheaper than DeSmith next season, and I'd like to see him signed to a 3 year deal which takes him 1 year past Demko's current contract (I think Demmer is gone after this contract as his price will be too high). Could set us up nicely to have a top-10 goaltender on a dirt cheap cap hit for a season which would help us load up for a run.

Joshua - He's the only forward we have who can bring what he brings AND contribute ~20 goals and 35 points. I would have liked to see more out of him than we have so far in the post season.....however we can't complain because in 2 playoff games he produced more points than Tavares and Marner combined for in 7 games. He's making $825K right now, I think anything under $2M is a win for the Canucks, and realistically he shouldn't command much more as he's only had the one solid season so far. Too try and keep him I'd offer him $2M (and go $2.5M) x 2 on an "OK, now prove it" contract.

Ran this through capfriendly under a projected $87.5M cap for 2024-25.

Podkolzin - Miller - Boeser
Hoglander - Petey - ______
Joshuah (2.5M) - Blueger (2.25M) - Garland
________ - Suter - _______

Hughes
Zadorov (5M)
Soucy - Myers (3M)
Juulsen

Demko
Silovs (1.6M)

Oh and I sent Mikheyev to Columbus for a 4th rounder.

Leaves us with roughly $19.25M to spend on a pair of D, a big and physical top-6 winger and some responsible 4th liners.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Hronek has stunk for awhile now, Chef ain’t hip to that but the RFA gets priority from Allvin cause he’s his big trade and we need right shot D-men
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
theman
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by theman »

Mëds wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 5:50 pm

Hughes
Zadorov (5M)
Soucy - Myers (3M)
Juulsen

Demko
Silovs (1.6M)

Leaves us with roughly $19.25M to spend on a pair of D, a big and physical top-6 winger and some responsible 4th liners.
A couple of things:

1. I hope we could re-sign Blueger for under 2 mil, maybe even 1.5.
2. Cap increase will only cover Petey's raise.
3. Poolman's LTIR will only cover OEL's dead cap hit for this year.

Hronek is now for sure probably be re-signed for 7mil or lower, that is good news. I would still re-sign him as he is a capable top 4 RD. Cole is also probably playing himself into that 1 mil territory. Hope they can re-sign Silovs for lower than 1.5m. Think we will see 2 of Letterkenny, Raty and Podz as full time forwards this year, if for no other reason than they will be on ELCs.

Yeah, good bye Lindholm, it was nice knowing you.
JelloPuddingPop
MVP
MVP

Post by JelloPuddingPop »

Though I do love what Zadorov is bringing right now, goals, hits, good light-hearted leadership in the room etc.

He is 29, on the back side of his career - and guys his size usually slow down way more than the smaller players. I would be very careful giving him more than a 3 year deal, but my guess is him and his agent will be looking for their home-run contract.

Worth it to overpay him a bit now, say 6x2 or 5.5x3 if he would take it? Instead of going 5x5 etc.?
theman
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by theman »

JelloPuddingPop wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 8:38 am Though I do love what Zadorov is bringing right now, goals, hits, good light-hearted leadership in the room etc.

He is 29, on the back side of his career - and guys his size usually slow down way more than the smaller players. I would be very careful giving him more than a 3 year deal, but my guess is him and his agent will be looking for their home-run contract.

Worth it to overpay him a bit now, say 6x2 or 5.5x3 if he would take it? Instead of going 5x5 etc.?
I, if I were the Canucks, would do a 3 year at 5 mil per easily. Honestly, would do 5x5 too but that would partially depend on what Myers or Cole would be getting too.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

theman wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 8:10 am
Mëds wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 5:50 pm

Hughes
Zadorov (5M)
Soucy - Myers (3M)
Juulsen

Demko
Silovs (1.6M)

A couple of things:

1. I hope we could re-sign Blueger for under 2 mil, maybe even 1.5.
2. Cap increase will only cover Petey's raise.
3. Poolman's LTIR will only cover OEL's dead cap hit for this year.

Hronek is now for sure probably be re-signed for 7mil or lower, that is good news. I would still re-sign him as he is a capable top 4 RD. Cole is also probably playing himself into that 1 mil territory. Hope they can re-sign Silovs for lower than 1.5m.
I can’t see Blueger signing for less than he makes now. He had a good season and was only moved down the depth chart when we acquired Lindholm. With a cap increase comes small raises. I gave him an addition $350K.….I wouldn’t go more and would be thrilled with anything under a $250K increase.

I doubled Silovs salary because he will be signing a contract that expects him to be a full time NHL backup with the idea he can handle close to 30 games. He will also be backing up a goalie who has a semi-consistent injury history and the job could ask for 40 games. The other reason for doubling his current contract are to get him signed for one year beyond Demko’s current deal and because his agent now has serious bargaining leverage (insomuch as RFA’s with less than 40 NHL games could have) thanks to his performances in this playoffs.

Zadorov can’t be signed for more than 4 years max for the very reason you state.

While I have Pettersson in my lineup I would be more than fine with trading him for a player like Svechkinov or Necas (a couple of the rumoured Carolina offers at the deadline) and a pick/prospect and then bringing Lindholm back. Frankly, we’re in the second round and, at even strength, dominating one of the projected Cup favourites with next to zero contributions from Pettersson through 9 playoff games. In fact, the only game he scored a goal in we ended up losing. The Oilers less than stalwart D are largely leaving him alone when he doesn’t have the puck, and easily rubbing him out when he does. Unless he’s playing with a hernia it’s pretty clear that the Canucks can get by without him, and likely could use him to upgrade the top-6 wingers.

I agree about Hronek, however we have certainly seen the need for size. I’d keep Z over him.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Big Z is going to get a minimum of 30 million. All day, every day. Figure it out over 6 years or 5. He’s like a big Diesel engine. He is a unique player. Pay the man.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 1:56 pm Big Z is going to get a minimum of 30 million. All day, every day. Figure it out over 6 years or 5. He’s like a big Diesel engine. He is a unique player. Pay the man.
The Canucks could possibly get him for less. Zadorov said when he arrived in Vancouver that he had wanted to play for the Canucks since he was a kid playing junior hockey for the London Knights. He was disappointed when the Canucks took Horvat 6 spots ahead of him.

Now he's here and wants to stay. I agree with you that he's unique, and when he's playing his game and not hating where he's playing (like in Calgary), he's very effective and worth what you say. I wonder if he would stay in Vancouver for $25M. Going 5 years with him takes him to where Myers is now.