Canucks News N Notes 23-24 Playoff Edition

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks News N Notes 23-24 Playoff Edition

Post by UWSaint »

Lancer wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 2:16 pm
BoS wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 10:29 am Interesting take on Pettersson, UDub.

I haven’t seen any obvious ailments when watching him behind the play, but he’s always had ridiculous hand/eye with an innate ability to knock down passes, anticipate plays and interrupt the play. He hasn’t been poor defensively, but he has not created turnovers anywhere close to the rate he has much of his career. His ability to break up plays and reverse the flow is what got locals talking Selke candidate, but this aspect has been largely absent for some time.

I also believe his weight is a massive issue. And the deeper the team goes in the post-season, the more evident it will become. I’d be curious to know what his weight is today compared to last October.
Either it’s hurt or he doesn’t trust it - either to do what he wants with it or that he will re-injure or exacerbate it.

We’ll see. It’s also consistent with lack of confidence/the yips getting to him. He did well in the bubble, but we’re starting to find that the Bubble playoffs were only so indicative. Maybe the pressure is getting to him. It was different when he was a wunderkind rookie in the SHL tearing up the playoffs. This is THE big stage and he’s a core part vice a skilled kid. Maybe it’s getting to him.
I don’t think it’s the playoffs and the big stage. He’s been playing like this for a while before the playoffs. And I don’t think it’s the physicality, at least not predominately. He has been hitting (took two oilers out at once on an entry, allowing the defense to collect with zero pressure); it’s possible he’s avoiding areas where he’ll get hit, but he seems absent (or limited) in perimeter play as well.

The psychological theory is a possibility, the physical breakdown theory is plausible, but wrist/hand injury seems like the best explanation for a competitive young man who has previously excelled on big stages.
Hono_rary Canadian
Raile
MVP
MVP

Post by Raile »

UWSaint wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 2:28 pm
Lancer wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 2:16 pm
BoS wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 10:29 am Interesting take on Pettersson, UDub.

I haven’t seen any obvious ailments when watching him behind the play, but he’s always had ridiculous hand/eye with an innate ability to knock down passes, anticipate plays and interrupt the play. He hasn’t been poor defensively, but he has not created turnovers anywhere close to the rate he has much of his career. His ability to break up plays and reverse the flow is what got locals talking Selke candidate, but this aspect has been largely absent for some time.

I also believe his weight is a massive issue. And the deeper the team goes in the post-season, the more evident it will become. I’d be curious to know what his weight is today compared to last October.
Either it’s hurt or he doesn’t trust it - either to do what he wants with it or that he will re-injure or exacerbate it.

We’ll see. It’s also consistent with lack of confidence/the yips getting to him. He did well in the bubble, but we’re starting to find that the Bubble playoffs were only so indicative. Maybe the pressure is getting to him. It was different when he was a wunderkind rookie in the SHL tearing up the playoffs. This is THE big stage and he’s a core part vice a skilled kid. Maybe it’s getting to him.
I don’t think it’s the playoffs and the big stage. He’s been playing like this for a while before the playoffs. And I don’t think it’s the physicality, at least not predominately. He has been hitting (took two oilers out at once on an entry, allowing the defense to collect with zero pressure); it’s possible he’s avoiding areas where he’ll get hit, but he seems absent (or limited) in perimeter play as well.

The psychological theory is a possibility, the physical breakdown theory is plausible, but wrist/hand injury seems like the best explanation for a competitive young man who has previously excelled on big stages.
maybe both?

We've all seen plenty of players get injured, then the body not be able to do what the mind is thinking, leading to frustration, self doubt, etc.
Then weeks/months later he signs a mega contract.. there's a lot of pressure that comes with that no matter who you are. If you are in the middle of playing at your peak and you're a cocky sob then that pressure may be batted aside, but if you sign that contract while you are already injured and with self doubt, maybe the whole thing snowballs.
He wouldn't be the first player.
CrzyCanuck
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by CrzyCanuck »

BoS wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 10:29 am

This has totally disappeared since the ASG.
That anticipation at blue line or neutral zone to either steals players puck or intercept passes and turn them into an odd man rush.

Also the quick and nifty dribbles in traffic

And of course, the i-don’t-give-a-fuck-i-will-score shots
Hockey is Life, Nothing Else Matters
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Cornuck wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 4:56 pm https://twitter.com/Canucks/status/1790838557441184050

"I want to be the difference maker."
Lalji: I know that you and everyone’s maintained that there’s not an injury, so from your perspective, why has it been so difficult these last three months to generate the way you maybe did previously?
Pettersson: [pause] Yeah, good question.
Lalji: [pause] Any thoughts, any answers?
Pettersson: [longer pause] … No.
Just sounds like a guy going through the motions - but then he's never really seemed to enjoy the media.
Or a guy with an injury that he and the coaching staff don’t want the other team to find out about. :|
He can’t mention the injury, doesn’t want to make shit up. Thus ”yeah, good question” and ”… No.”

Also, eyes barely open, blank face… looks like someone who has not slept for 48 hours or is heavily medicated.
Pain killers?
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Per wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 11:12 pm .
Also, eyes barely open, blank face… looks like someone who has not slept for 48 hours or is heavily medicated.
Pain killers?
Petey found the magic giggle lettuce and really is digging the chilling effects of a potent Indica
If you need air...call it in
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Ok so I watched the game last night….. great result we deserve the win.

Someone on a board said Craig Mctavish said to run people over. That can’t be correct.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Lancer
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Lancer »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 4:03 am
Per wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 11:12 pm .
Pain killers?
Petey found the magic giggle lettuce and really is digging the chilling effects of a potent Indica
They should make a Petey-inspired strain.

What to call it?

Alien Kush? Too obvious.

Kraut Kryptonite?

Petey Power Punch?
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

I can’t say enough of how impressed I am with Garlands playoff level. The Smurf has some serious cajones along the boards like a dog on a bone.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

A whole lotta Benning in last nights line-up:

1. Pettersson
2. Hughes
3. Miller
4. Boeser
5. Silovs
6. Garland
7. Myers
8. Hoglander
9. Podkolzin
10. Di Giuseppe

With Demko and Karlsson on the sidelines
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 6:48 am A whole lotta Benning’s dink in my mouth again
Tidied it up for you Buds
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 7:02 am
Chef Boi RD wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 6:48 am A whole lotta Benning’s dink in my mouth again
Tidied it up for you Buds
:lol:
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

We have out-hit the shit out of the Coilers this series. I am surprised the media doesn't mention it much. It has to be wearing david n draisaitl down
Keep it up boys
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Tciso wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 4:19 pm We have out-hit the shit out of the Coilers this series. I am surprised the media doesn't mention it much. It has to be wearing david n draisaitl down
Keep it up boys
One thing that I didn't expect the Canucks to do was "wear down an opponent" - after such a long break from (real) playoffs, and before that, the Sedin era - it seemed very unlikely. But here we are - making the oilers slow down a bit, and it's showing. Again, Kudos to management for building a team for the playoffs.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Playing McBaby and Crysaitl 30 minutes a game comes with a cost down the road. To me they're wearing down a touch from the physical beatings and from being overplayed
If you need air...call it in
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 6:53 pm Playing McBaby and Crysaitl 30 minutes a game comes with a cost down the road. To me they're wearing down a touch from the physical beatings and from being overplayed
When half your cap is on 5 guys, you gotta play them half the game.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!