Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Postby Lancer » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:57 am

Hockey Widow wrote:From the NHL.com:

Marchand left the game and didn't return after getting elbowed in the head by Devils defenseman Anton Volchenkov with 4:49 left in the second period. He needed help off the ice from Andrew Ference and Jaromir Jagr and headed straight for the dressing room.

Now normally I don't like to see players get hurt but well, its scum bag and if you catch the replay I can't help but think he embellished, he did take a nasty elbow but I'll believe he is really hurt when he misses a few games.

Volchenkov laid a nasty and he will gets suspended a few games for that one, but, well, it was scum bag.

Gee.... if that isn't a bit of a dillemma for 'ole Buttman and Shanaban. Do you placate Jeremy Jacobs and the morally outraged mobs of yobs in Boston by suspending the A-Train for the rest of the season, or do you do right by Loyal League guy Lamoriello and go lenient? I wager Buttman and the league will remember the Kovalchuk contract and damn Volchenkov to purgatory for the rest of the regular season, maybe part of the playoffs.

...and after the suspension is announced, Marchand will be right back in the lineup joking with the training staff that he was 'trying to draw a Fiver'. :mex:

Tanti09 wrote:Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy. :twisted:

+1

I truly hope he can still barely remember his name this time next year. This guy is the worst example of douchebaggery on and off the ice. My brother and sister in law live in his hometown and barely anybody can stand him the way he acts back there. My nephews want nothing to do with him when they see him out.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby wafflecombine » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:43 am

Didn't see this earlier so deleted the thread I posted.

To me the hit look glancing but who knows. Hopefully he is out for a couple of games to prove the hit was real and not just another one of the famous Bruin's dives.

meh.
wafflecombine
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Postby Lancer » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:03 am

You know, somewhere in Florida a certain Finnish defenceman is probably enjoying a quiet smile over this turn of events.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby BurningBeard » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:47 am

Did anyone see the slash that Taylor Hall dished out last night? It was brutal.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/11/videos-taylor-hall-takes-a-huge-hit-unleashes-a-big-slash/

That's a tap on the ankle that puts Bobby Clarke to shame.
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
BurningBeard
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby wafflecombine » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:18 pm

wafflecombine
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Postby wafflecombine » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:26 pm

BurningBeard wrote:Did anyone see the slash that Taylor Hall dished out last night? It was brutal.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/11/videos-taylor-hall-takes-a-huge-hit-unleashes-a-big-slash/

That's a tap on the ankle that puts Bobby Clarke to shame.

Wow... that's the kind of BS play that probably makes the 'Yotes wish they'd kept Torres around. Hall has a tonne of talent but he is a cheap little punk on this crap.
wafflecombine
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Postby Vader » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:57 pm

wafflecombine wrote:Apparrently worthy of 4 games.

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/consol ... &id=237895

Another blown call by Shanny.

Volchenkov was protecting himself as Marchand was taking a run at him :look:
Vader
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Postby Eddy Punch Clock » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:21 pm

Vader wrote:

And Hall doesn't even get a hearing.
2011..... the one that got away.
Eddy Punch Clock
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby Jovocop » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:27 pm

If Howard gets $5.3m per year, I just don't see Luongo being an "expensive" goalie. Schneider would be a steal at $4m.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=420473

The Detroit Red Wings and goaltender Jimmy Howard are close to finalizing a six-year, $31.8 million contract extension.

"It definitely means a lot," Howard told Craig Custance of ESPN.com. "[I] started my career here, being drafted almost 11 years ago this June. It definitely means a lot to stick around here."

The 29-year-old Howard has been with the Red Wings organization since being drafted by the club in the second round (64th overall) of the 2003 NHL Entry Draft. He is the first goalie in franchise history to win at least 35 games in each of his first three full seasons.

Through 33 games this season, Howard is 16-12-4 with a 2.41 goals-against average and .917 save percentage. His 16 victories currently places him 11th in the NHL.

Howard was set to become an unrestricted free agent this summer after signing a two-year, $4.5 million contract in 2011.
Jovocop
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby rats19 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:43 pm

Jovocop wrote:If Howard gets $5.3m per year, I just don't see Luongo being an "expensive" goalie. Schneider would be a steal at $4m.

The Detroit Red Wings and goaltender Jimmy Howard are close to finalizing a six-year, $31.8 million contract extension.

"It definitely means a lot," Howard told Craig Custance of ESPN.com. "[I] started my career here, being drafted almost 11 years ago this June. It definitely means a lot to stick around here."

The 29-year-old Howard has been with the Red Wings organization since being drafted by the club in the second round (64th overall) of the 2003 NHL Entry Draft. He is the first goalie in franchise history to win at least 35 games in each of his first three full seasons.

Through 33 games this season, Howard is 16-12-4 with a 2.41 goals-against average and .917 save percentage. His 16 victories currently places him 11th in the NHL.

Howard was set to become an unrestricted free agent this summer after signing a two-year, $4.5 million contract in 2011.

its the term i think that skewes it...
You are who you hang with.....
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Postby Jovocop » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:46 pm

rats19 wrote:
Jovocop wrote:If Howard gets $5.3m per year, I just don't see Luongo being an "expensive" goalie. Schneider would be a steal at $4m.

its the term i think that skewes it...

Luongo's contract has a few out clauses. It's not like he can't be trade once he is traded for...
Jovocop
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Hockey Widow » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:53 pm

How does that Hall slash not get the attention of the NHL? He is a repeat offender to boot. In my mind that is worthy of at lest 2 games.
The only HW the Canucks need
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Postby Hockey Widow » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:54 pm

Vader wrote:

LOL Exactly. He saw Marchand's ear come flying at him and all he did was put his elbow up to protect himself.
The only HW the Canucks need
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Postby Aaronp18 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:59 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:LOL Exactly. He saw Marchand's ear come flying at him and all he did was put his elbow up to protect himself.

Not to mention his beak!

That thing could take someone's eye out.
Aaronp18
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Tanti09 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:41 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:How does that Hall slash not get the attention of the NHL? He is a repeat offender to boot. In my mind that is worthy of at lest 2 games.

Yeah that was a vicious slash to a guy's back. Can't believe he didn't even get a fine!

And it looks like Jeremy Jacobs picked up the phone to Buttman on the Volchenkov elbow. 4 games? Even though I am bias against the Bruins and do think Marchand is a asswipe, that still seems excessive for a glancing blow.
Tanti09
CC Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat