From Bountiful to Ponoka

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: From Bountiful to Ponoka

Postby Fred » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:07 pm

Can any one explain what Sutters rational was to signing Stajan for so much for such a long time ? Maybe he was trying to justify his trading Phaneuf...what was the man thinking. It was one of those signing I suspect every one sat up and noticed and thought what the Hell is he thinking ??
cheers
Fred
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3433
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 7:00 pm

Re: From Bountiful to Ponoka

Postby dhabums » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:54 pm

BCExpat wrote:
Topper wrote:So it is now
Dion Phaneuf, Fredrik Sjöström, Brett Sutter and Keith Aulie

For
Matt Stajan, Tom Kostopoulos and Anton Babchuk


Matt Stajan isn't in the lineup either tonight.


And Babchuk has been a healthy scratch.
User avatar
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1291
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:55 pm

Re: From Bountiful to Ponoka

Postby jackalman » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:16 pm

[quote="Fred"]Sutters rational quote]
Fred you just came up with a new oxy-moron. Congrats!
jackalman
CC Veteran
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:16 am

Re: From Bountiful to Ponoka

Postby BCExpat » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:38 pm

[/quote]And Babchuk has been a healthy scratch.[/quote]

Yeah - but this re-signing was Feaster's doing. Babchuk is great at playing the point on the power play, but that's about it. Lots of tough times ahead for the Flames.
Feaster Famine
User avatar
BCExpat
CC 2nd Team All-Star
 
Posts: 241
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:18 pm

Re: From Bountiful to Ponoka

Postby Potatoe1 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:12 pm

BCExpat wrote:
Yeah - but this re-signing was Feaster's doing. Babchuk is great at playing the point on the power play, but that's about it. Lots of tough times ahead for the Flames.


I thought Babchuk was better then Phaneuf? :D
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1613
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:06 pm

Re: From Bountiful to Ponoka

Postby BCExpat » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:11 pm

Potatoe1 wrote:
BCExpat wrote:
Yeah - but this re-signing was Feaster's doing. Babchuk is great at playing the point on the power play, but that's about it. Lots of tough times ahead for the Flames.


I thought Babchuk was better then Phaneuf? :D


Like I said - Babchuk is good on the point for the powerplay. He's slow and isn't very good defensively. So, Brodie is now getting a shot, and could very well replace Babchuk in the lineup. As for being better than Phaneuf - as flames, both Babchuk and Phaneuf sucked.
Feaster Famine
User avatar
BCExpat
CC 2nd Team All-Star
 
Posts: 241
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:18 pm

Re: From Bountiful to Ponoka

Postby Blob Mckenzie » Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:01 pm

Hilarious shit at the mongoloid farm. This cat makes it seem like THAT board holds people to a higher standard.



http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showpost.php?p=3380356&postcount=48

:lol: bizarre and ridiculous statements make up 98 % of that board.
Tell me how my ass tastes.
User avatar
Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3085
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: From Bountiful to Ponoka

Postby Rayxor » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:16 am

didn't check their site but one can only imagine.

outshot 9-1 to start the game and down 2-0.

finish the game outshot 11-3.

But in fairness, it was against a team that is a Cup favorite, firing on all cylindars with an up-and-coming star in net.

...oh wait, it was Columbus.

Nevermind!
User avatar
Rayxor
CC 2nd Team All-Star
 
Posts: 209
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:05 am

Re: From Bountiful to Ponoka

Postby Larry Goodenough » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:11 pm

I see Iginla was minus 2 and had only one shot last night. His team entered the 3rd down 3-1 and was still outshot 11-3 in that period. This against the worst team in the league, with Curtis Sanford in net.

Is Iginla's strong leadership indeed a myth?

He was one 2004 game 7 OT goal away from never advancing past the 1st round of the playoffs in 14 seasons. You can bring forth all the anecdotal evidence you want, but the actual evidence appears to be right there.
Larry Goodenough
CC 1st Team All-Star
 
Posts: 727
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:43 am

Re: From Bountiful to Ponoka

Postby BCExpat » Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:54 pm

Larry Goodenough wrote:I see Iginla was minus 2 and had only one shot last night. His team entered the 3rd down 3-1 and was still outshot 11-3 in that period. This against the worst team in the league, with Curtis Sanford in net.

Is Iginla's strong leadership indeed a myth?

He was one 2004 game 7 OT goal away from never advancing past the 1st round of the playoffs in 14 seasons. You can bring forth all the anecdotal evidence you want, but the actual evidence appears to be right there.


It's a team game. Iggy isn't going to do it himself. I don't think Jesus Christ himself could have done much more with the type of team the Flames have. They just never managed to get enough talent around Iggy to do better. The entire team looks like they are just going through the motions. I'm sure they will blow up the team by year's end. It's long overdue. Also, I hope they keep Sutter as coach. He did a great job with his Red Deer Rebels. When the Flames rebuild, I think he would be a good coach to mentor a young group.
Feaster Famine
User avatar
BCExpat
CC 2nd Team All-Star
 
Posts: 241
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:18 pm

Re: From Bountiful to Ponoka

Postby Island Nucklehead » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:07 pm

BCExpat wrote:It's a team game. Iggy isn't going to do it himself. I don't think Jesus Christ himself could have done much more with the type of team the Flames have. They just never managed to get enough talent around Iggy to do better. The entire team looks like they are just going through the motions. I'm sure they will blow up the team by year's end. It's long overdue. Also, I hope they keep Sutter as coach. He did a great job with his Red Deer Rebels. When the Flames rebuild, I think he would be a good coach to mentor a young group.


Sutter will be gone, and Feaster will have the green light to blow it all up. It's long overdue. That Flames team hasn't shown much in recent seasons, even when they get to the playoffs they're out first round. Generally, when an aging team with a history of making the playoffs stops making the playoffs, it's time for a change.

For me, some of the franchise moves have been downright terrible. Take the Phaneuf trade, what did they get in return for him? Mayers, Hagman, Stajan and White? Phaneuf is again on pace for a 50+ point season, while Stajan is the only guy still playing for Calgary, and has 3 assists on the year. Say what you will about locker-room disruptions and chemistry, that is terrible asset management. How many times are they going to bring Jokinen back?

If I'm Feaster I'm dumping everyone save Iginla, and I'm asking him what HE wants to do. If he wants to move on, then I do everything I can to move him. He's earned that right. Everyone else is trade bait. There's just not much to like about the future there...
User avatar
Island Nucklehead
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4173
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:27 pm

Re: From Bountiful to Ponoka

Postby BCExpat » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:30 pm

Island Nucklehead wrote:
BCExpat wrote:It's a team game. Iggy isn't going to do it himself. I don't think Jesus Christ himself could have done much more with the type of team the Flames have. They just never managed to get enough talent around Iggy to do better. The entire team looks like they are just going through the motions. I'm sure they will blow up the team by year's end. It's long overdue. Also, I hope they keep Sutter as coach. He did a great job with his Red Deer Rebels. When the Flames rebuild, I think he would be a good coach to mentor a young group.


Sutter will be gone, and Feaster will have the green light to blow it all up. It's long overdue. That Flames team hasn't shown much in recent seasons, even when they get to the playoffs they're out first round. Generally, when an aging team with a history of making the playoffs stops making the playoffs, it's time for a change.

For me, some of the franchise moves have been downright terrible. Take the Phaneuf trade, what did they get in return for him? Mayers, Hagman, Stajan and White? Phaneuf is again on pace for a 50+ point season, while Stajan is the only guy still playing for Calgary, and has 3 assists on the year. Say what you will about locker-room disruptions and chemistry, that is terrible asset management. How many times are they going to bring Jokinen back?

If I'm Feaster I'm dumping everyone save Iginla, and I'm asking him what HE wants to do. If he wants to move on, then I do everything I can to move him. He's earned that right. Everyone else is trade bait. There's just not much to like about the future there...


I agree with what you are saying, except for Sutter. I wouldn't automatically assume he's gone. Lets face it, this team has gone through a number of coaches in the last few years. It's become crystal clear that it isn't a coaching problem - it's a player personnel problem. The core of this team has run it's course. Time for change. As for the trades you mention, they were all horrible trades, however, the man that made those trades is not there anymore. Feaster still has to prove himself, but I think he's heading in the right direction.
Feaster Famine
User avatar
BCExpat
CC 2nd Team All-Star
 
Posts: 241
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:18 pm

Re: From Bountiful to Ponoka

Postby Larry Goodenough » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:32 pm

BCExpat wrote:
Larry Goodenough wrote:I see Iginla was minus 2 and had only one shot last night. His team entered the 3rd down 3-1 and was still outshot 11-3 in that period. This against the worst team in the league, with Curtis Sanford in net.

Is Iginla's strong leadership indeed a myth?

He was one 2004 game 7 OT goal away from never advancing past the 1st round of the playoffs in 14 seasons. You can bring forth all the anecdotal evidence you want, but the actual evidence appears to be right there.


It's a team game. Iggy isn't going to do it himself. I don't think Jesus Christ himself could have done much more with the type of team the Flames have. They just never managed to get enough talent around Iggy to do better. The entire team looks like they are just going through the motions. I'm sure they will blow up the team by year's end. It's long overdue. Also, I hope they keep Sutter as coach. He did a great job with his Red Deer Rebels. When the Flames rebuild, I think he would be a good coach to mentor a young group.


I'm not just talking about this year's Iginla. I'm referring to his whole body of work.

And would a leader of Iginla's supposed ilk allow his team to go through the motions, or appear to go through the motions himself.

Or you seem to be leaning towards "leadership" in pro sports being a myth? And instead, talent and individual drive is what's most important?
Larry Goodenough
CC 1st Team All-Star
 
Posts: 727
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:43 am

Re: From Bountiful to Ponoka

Postby Island Nucklehead » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:48 pm

BCExpat wrote:
I agree with what you are saying, except for Sutter. I wouldn't automatically assume he's gone. Lets face it, this team has gone through a number of coaches in the last few years. It's become crystal clear that it isn't a coaching problem - it's a player personnel problem. The core of this team has run it's course. Time for change. As for the trades you mention, they were all horrible trades, however, the man that made those trades is not there anymore. Feaster still has to prove himself, but I think he's heading in the right direction.


That might be true, but won't Feaster want to put his own stamp on the team? Will Sutter even WANT to coach a full rebuild? If the players have tuned him out now, how much more losing can this guy take? The Flames need an identity. It seems like a lot of what they've done is knee-jerk. They really do need to blow it up and start from scratch...

I was surprised Feaster kept Sutter on to start the season, to be honest. I think he'll make the move in the offseason, maybe "promote" him to elsewhere in the organization.
User avatar
Island Nucklehead
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4173
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:27 pm

Re: From Bountiful to Ponoka

Postby BCExpat » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:40 pm

No doubt, changes are coming. Right now, there isn't anyone in the organization that is "untouchable", including coaching and management.
Feaster Famine
User avatar
BCExpat
CC 2nd Team All-Star
 
Posts: 241
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:18 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 2 guests

cron