Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Postby Strangelove » Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:03 pm

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Strangelove wrote:UMMMMM Phaneuf?? :crazy:

Subban will get 8 X $8m = $64 AND it will probably be front-loaded.

Karlsson got his 2 years ago when it was unsure if/how-much the cap would go up with the new CBA.

And yeah, Phaneuf doesn't even belong in the conversation bro.


Can arbitrators decide how to "structure" contracts? I thought they were just one-year deals.


No the contract must be standard structure.

I think the team has a 2-year option if it's player-elected (too lazy to look it up)

Besides, Canadiens wouldn't choose that anyway because he'd be a UFA.

Island Nucklehead wrote:8x8, get it done. It's really that simple, he's that important to their team (worth at least what Kessel, Staal Giroux, Perry/Getzlaf, are to their franchises). It will sting this year, but when Kane and Toews are asking for 11/12M per it won't feel so bad.


Agreed, I don't get what the holdup is here.

They're rich, he's an... "elite"... player, keep him happy.

Doubt this gets to arbitration...
____
Big Dog
User avatar
Strangelove
CC Legend
 
Posts: 7726
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Postby Island Nucklehead » Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:02 pm

Strangelove wrote:They're rich, he's an... "elite"... player, keep him happy.

Doubt this gets to arbitration...


Damn "elite" players. Why can't the Canucks ever get their hands on some!? :lol:
User avatar
Island Nucklehead
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4336
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:27 pm

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Postby Strangelove » Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:54 pm

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Strangelove wrote:They're rich, he's an... "elite"... player, keep him happy.


Damn "elite" players. Why can't the Canucks ever get their hands on some!? :lol:


Because we've never drafted 43rd overall? :?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vancouver_ ... raft_picks

Image
____
Big Dog
User avatar
Strangelove
CC Legend
 
Posts: 7726
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Postby dangler » Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:28 pm



Looking at that list it's no wonder the Canucks are thin on prospects. '09 to '11 are especially bad.
That,coupled with the Gillis waiting a year too long to bail on the '11 core,all the crappy contracts and the
Torts fiasco,the team is lucky to look as promising as they do.
User avatar
dangler
CC 1st Team All-Star
 
Posts: 625
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:31 pm
Location: Commercial Drive Coffee shop

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Postby Hockey Widow » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:36 am

OTTAWA - The Ottawa Senators announced today that General Manager and President of Hockey Operations Bryan Murray has been recently diagnosed with cancer. The Senators organization issued the following statement:
“Mr. Murray is undergoing further testing and will begin treatment immediately for this condition as prescribed by the team’s doctors in collaboration with specialists.

Mr. Murray’s treatment schedule may require him to be away from the Senators office periodically. During his periodic absence, assistant general managers Pierre Dorion and Randy Lee will be responsible for managing the Ottawa Senators hockey operations department.

Not a signing but other team related.

All the best for a speedy recovery. Beat that monster Murray!!
The only HW the Canucks need
User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4440
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Postby Jovocop » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:17 pm

dangler wrote:


Looking at that list it's no wonder the Canucks are thin on prospects. '09 to '11 are especially bad.
That,coupled with the Gillis waiting a year too long to bail on the '11 core,all the crappy contracts and the
Torts fiasco,the team is lucky to look as promising as they do.


Check out 2007 before calling 2009 to 2011 bad...
User avatar
Jovocop
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1789
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:18 pm

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Postby Betamax » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:19 pm

dbr wrote:You replied to my post with a story about a potential team in a city that I mentioned might not be a viable option to host an above-average revenue franchise.

That story contains literally nothing relevant to what I said and has already been denied by Gretzky since it was posted.

So thanks for that.....


So dave, when Linden interviewed the day before being announced as President of the Canucks by Global TV's Steve Darling and denied the rumors, did you take him at face value and bought his denials hook, line and sinker?

As the saying goes, "Where there's smoke, there's fire." :mex:
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1360
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:45 pm
Location: @betamax1080p

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Postby dbr » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:22 am

Betamax wrote:
dbr wrote:You replied to my post with a story about a potential team in a city that I mentioned might not be a viable option to host an above-average revenue franchise.

That story contains literally nothing relevant to what I said and has already been denied by Gretzky since it was posted.

So thanks for that.....


So dave, when Linden interviewed the day before being announced as President of the Canucks by Global TV's Steve Darling and denied the rumors, did you take him at face value and bought his denials hook, line and sinker?

As the saying goes, "Where there's smoke, there's fire." :mex:


Oh hey good point, because one guy lied about a thing once everyone who says anything similar ever is also lying.

Not that this has one single thing to do with my post so... thanks for that.....
dbr
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2597
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:37 pm

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Postby Betamax » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:59 pm

dbr wrote:
Betamax wrote:
dbr wrote:You replied to my post with a story about a potential team in a city that I mentioned might not be a viable option to host an above-average revenue franchise.

That story contains literally nothing relevant to what I said and has already been denied by Gretzky since it was posted.

So thanks for that.....


So dave, when Linden interviewed the day before being announced as President of the Canucks by Global TV's Steve Darling and denied the rumors, did you take him at face value and bought his denials hook, line and sinker?

As the saying goes, "Where there's smoke, there's fire." :mex:


Oh hey good point, because one guy lied about a thing once everyone who says anything similar ever is also lying.

Not that this has one single thing to do with my post so... thanks for that.....


dave, you're welcome ..... lest we forget .... you were one of the (many) fans that was eating up the shit sandwiches Tort's was serving you last season. :mex:
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1360
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:45 pm
Location: @betamax1080p

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Postby Betamax » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:23 pm

Strangelove wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:
Strangelove wrote:UMMMMM Phaneuf?? :crazy:

Subban will get 8 X $8m = $64 AND it will probably be front-loaded.

Karlsson got his 2 years ago when it was unsure if/how-much the cap would go up with the new CBA.

And yeah, Phaneuf doesn't even belong in the conversation bro.


Can arbitrators decide how to "structure" contracts? I thought they were just one-year deals.


No the contract must be standard structure.

I think the team has a 2-year option if it's player-elected (too lazy to look it up)

Besides, Canadiens wouldn't choose that anyway because he'd be a UFA.


via: https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/ ... 6053770240

Elliotte Friedman Verified account ‏@FriedgeHNIC

Just a couple of notes on player-elected arbitration. No one who chooses it can sign offer sheet, team has choice of one- or two-year award


2:18 PM - 5 Jul 2014


Yeah, the Habs are in a coulda, woulda, shoulda ............ if they locked him long-term earlier and not sign him to a bridge deal .... would have been closer to what Doughty's 7M AAV is. But I could see it easily being well north of 8M AAV towards 9M AAV if he signs a long-term deal with them. :mex:
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1360
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:45 pm
Location: @betamax1080p

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Postby dbr » Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:12 pm

Betamax wrote:
dbr wrote:
Betamax wrote:
dbr wrote:You replied to my post with a story about a potential team in a city that I mentioned might not be a viable option to host an above-average revenue franchise.

That story contains literally nothing relevant to what I said and has already been denied by Gretzky since it was posted.

So thanks for that.....


So dave, when Linden interviewed the day before being announced as President of the Canucks by Global TV's Steve Darling and denied the rumors, did you take him at face value and bought his denials hook, line and sinker?

As the saying goes, "Where there's smoke, there's fire." :mex:


Oh hey good point, because one guy lied about a thing once everyone who says anything similar ever is also lying.

Not that this has one single thing to do with my post so... thanks for that.....


dave, you're welcome ..... lest we forget .... you were one of the (many) fans that was eating up the shit sandwiches Tort's was serving you last season. :mex:


Well obviously Torts was a disaster here, but it had little to do with shot blocking or the teams style of play in their own zone. I'll give our new coach the benefit of the doubt yet again this year as he likely knows more than I do (someone who so transparently appeals to authority as you do with local media hacks, scouting prognosticators and others should understand this). And I'll continue to argue that accountability and discipline are good things for a hockey team (and their coach for that matter).

Call it whatever you like but as with your last message board account the number of posters who take your opinion seriously is in the single digits and dwindling fast.. so frankly I'm not too worried about it.
dbr
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2597
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:37 pm

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Postby herb » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:28 am

Kane and Toews have signed identical 8 year, $84M contract extensions. Not much of a "home town" discount there.

Obviously both are wonderful players, but tying up two guys to $21M in cap space (30% of existing cap) per year is bloody expensive.
User avatar
herb
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2366
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:17 pm
Location: Mars

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Postby Zedlee » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:42 am

herb wrote:Kane and Toews have signed identical 8 year, $84M contract extensions. Not much of a "home town" discount there.

Obviously both are wonderful players, but tying up two guys to $21M in cap space (30% of existing cap) per year is bloody expensive.


Wow...big money! Only comparable is Crosby and Malkin...and how did that work out for the Penguins lately?
Zedlee
CC Veteran
 
Posts: 193
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:52 pm

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Postby Island Nucklehead » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:49 am

herb wrote:Kane and Toews have signed identical 8 year, $84M contract extensions. Not much of a "home town" discount there.

Obviously both are wonderful players, but tying up two guys to $21M in cap space (30% of existing cap) per year is bloody expensive.


Yeah, that model hasn't worked especially well for Pittsburgh recently.
User avatar
Island Nucklehead
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4336
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:27 pm

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Postby herb » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:51 am

Zedlee wrote:Wow...big money! Only comparable is Crosby and Malkin...and how did that work out for the Penguins lately?


$10.5M is nearly $2M more per year than Crosby makes and $1M more than Malkin! :shock:

Great players, but I thought they'd take a bit of a haircut to keep the band together and all that.

Kane and Toews will be the highest paid players in the league next year by a fairly wide margin. Malkin's hit is $9.5M, Crosby's at $8.7M, Perry is at $8.6M and Giroux is at $8.2M.

Even if the cap does continue to go up (it won't go up as much as it has in future years), $21M is a huge portion of cap space.
User avatar
herb
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2366
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:17 pm
Location: Mars

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest