Canucks select Jared McCann at #24

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Post Reply
User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 28178
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 12:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: Canucks select Jared McCann at #24

Post by Strangelove »

Hopefully Jared McCann turns out to be an "elite" NHLer.

Can we PLEASE get back on topic guys?
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1353
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:45 pm
Location: @betamax1080p

Re: Canucks select Jared McCann at #24

Post by Betamax »

Strangelove wrote:Hopefully Jared McCann turns out to be an "elite" NHLer.

Can we PLEASE get back on topic guys?
You can hope all you want ...... but more likely he will be a serviceable 3C NHLer .... like Horvat and have a productive if not spectacular career. :mex:
User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 28178
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 12:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: Canucks select Jared McCann at #24

Post by Strangelove »

Well by my definition all NHLers are elite. :wink:

One never knows how good these young draftees are gonna turn out though... relatively speaking.

Amirite or amirite? :mex:
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1353
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:45 pm
Location: @betamax1080p

Re: Canucks select Jared McCann at #24

Post by Betamax »

Strangelove wrote:Well by my definition all NHLers are elite. :wink:

One never knows how good these young draftees are gonna turn out though... relatively speaking.

Amirite or amirite? :mex:
Well, the thing is ....... we have 44 years or so to evaluate the Canucks' drafting record. Bure and the Sedins are the only drafted and home grown players that would be classified as elite among their peers.

Now someone pointed out Neely. Well, if you are going to use that logic, then the NYI should take credit for drafting Bertuzzi and the Pens should take credit for drafting Naslund. LOL.

To me it's has to be both D&D. Drafting and Development i.e. not in reference to the board game. :mex:
User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 28178
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 12:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: Canucks select Jared McCann at #24

Post by Strangelove »

Betamax wrote: To me it's has to be both D&D. Drafting and Development
Yeah.

And the D&D&D (Desire, Determination, and Drive) of the player at hand.

This McCann kid has a big chip on his shoulder, hopefully that's an indicator of strong D&D&D.
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!
User avatar
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP
Posts: 8363
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:27 pm
Location: Ottawa

Re: Canucks select Jared McCann at #24

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Betamax wrote:I mean the only "elite" level talent they've drafted in their entire 44 year history, other than the Sedins who were top 3 picks, BTW, has been Bure and it was more luck than anything and The Cory, whom they traded in a fire sale. :mex:
Betamax wrote: Now someone pointed out Neely. Well, if you are going to use that logic, then the NYI should take credit for drafting Bertuzzi and the Pens should take credit for drafting Naslund. LOL.
Reading the garbage: laughable
Time it takes to sort the garbage: frustrating.
Letting the garbage take itself out: Priceless.
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1353
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:45 pm
Location: @betamax1080p

Re: Canucks select Jared McCann at #24

Post by Betamax »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Betamax wrote:I mean the only "elite" level talent they've drafted in their entire 44 year history, other than the Sedins who were top 3 picks, BTW, has been Bure and it was more luck than anything and The Cory, whom they traded in a fire sale. :mex:
Betamax wrote: Now someone pointed out Neely. Well, if you are going to use that logic, then the NYI should take credit for drafting Bertuzzi and the Pens should take credit for drafting Naslund. LOL.
Reading the garbage: laughable
Time it takes to sort the garbage: frustrating.
Letting the garbage take itself out: Priceless.
I think it was implied with the "home grown" talent. It's pretty clear the Sedins and Bure are the only "sure fire" elite talents that have been drafted and developed by the Canucks.

I didn't include Bertuzzi or Naslund, for obvious reasons ...... who only fit one part of the two, likewise Neely (top 10 pick) or Vaive (top 5 pick).

Please put me on ignore so I don't feel obligated to respond to your "frustrating" replies. :mex:
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1353
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:45 pm
Location: @betamax1080p

Re: Canucks select Jared McCann at #24

Post by Betamax »

Strangelove wrote:
Betamax wrote:
Strangelove wrote:Yeah no, if Panic Attack was an "elite" goaltender you'd see his name somewhere on this page by now:

http://hockeygoalies.org/awards/vezinavoting.html

Interesting dat. :mex:
It won't be long.
Oh so he's... not.... an elite goaltender? :mex:
The Cory has delivered "elite" numbers the past few seasons. He is now entering his prime years. BTW, didn't you have a wager or a contest with some hf board user on prospects of The Cory winning a Vezina?

re: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showt ... ?t=1491203

With that in mind, I think the question that needs to be answered over the next three or so years is who is the one going to have a "panic attack", eh? :mex:
User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 28178
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 12:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: Canucks select Jared McCann at #24

Post by Strangelove »

Betamax wrote: The Cory has delivered "elite" numbers the past two seasons.
Actually the most important number when it comes to measuring "elite"-ness is the Games Played number.

Which is why you don't see Panic Attack listed on the page I linked.

Not even ONE SINGLE Vezina vote and he's 28 years old! :eh:

So yeah, kinda creepy how some Canuckers are still in love with ole Marblehead. :look:

All I can say is, hopefully Jared McCann has accomplished much more in the NHL by age 28.

Hopefully YOU will fall in love with Jared McCann in the not-too-distant future. :drink:
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!
User avatar
Doyle Hargraves
MVP
MVP
Posts: 20594
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: Canucks select Jared McCann at #24

Post by Doyle Hargraves »

Schneider has a long way to go before he can be measured with the elite at his position. Most people with a half a brain in their heads know this. :mex:
“Gohmert and Bumpty sitting in a tree”
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1353
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:45 pm
Location: @betamax1080p

Re: Canucks select Jared McCann at #24

Post by Betamax »

Strangelove wrote:
Betamax wrote: The Cory has delivered "elite" numbers the past two seasons.
Actually the most important number when it comes to measuring "elite"-ness is the Games Played number.

Which is why you don't see Panic Attack listed on the page I linked.

Not even ONE SINGLE Vezina vote and he's 28 years old! :eh:

So yeah, kinda creepy how some Canuckers are still in love with ole Marblehead. :look:

All I can say is, hopefully Jared McCann has accomplished much more in the NHL by age 28.

Hopefully YOU will fall in love with Jared McCann in the not-too-distant future. :drink:
Well, we shall see what happens to The Cory within the next three years which are prime years for goaltenders. For a goalie that's played only a "few" games, he seemed to have managed a decent "bridge" deal @ 4M AAV.

How much do you think he'll receive in his next contract .... I mean, he's just a 28 years old goalie with Not even ONE SINGLE Vezina vote! :eh:

BTW, how old was Timmy Thomas when he received his first Vezina vote? :mex:
User avatar
$lacker
CC 2nd Team All-Star
Posts: 261
Joined: Mon May 07, 2012 5:33 pm

Re: Canucks select Jared McCann at #24

Post by $lacker »

Betamax wrote:
Strangelove wrote:Hopefully Jared McCann turns out to be an "elite" NHLer.

Can we PLEASE get back on topic guys?
You can hope all you want ...... but more likely he will be a serviceable 3C NHLer .... like Horvat and have a productive if not spectacular career. :mex:
People were saying the same thing about Kesler when he was drafted and developing... He turned out pretty well.
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1353
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:45 pm
Location: @betamax1080p

Re: Canucks select Jared McCann at #24

Post by Betamax »

$lacker wrote:
Betamax wrote:
Strangelove wrote:Hopefully Jared McCann turns out to be an "elite" NHLer.

Can we PLEASE get back on topic guys?
You can hope all you want ...... but more likely he will be a serviceable 3C NHLer .... like Horvat and have a productive if not spectacular career. :mex:
People were saying the same thing about Kesler when he was drafted and developing... He turned out pretty well.
Well ..............



If you looked at the "hype" prospects receive when they are first drafted and fast forward years later, most do not live up to the "hype" or best case scenarios presented. I mean, how many times over the decades has a Canucks' prospect been compared to Linden? Now Kesler's the guy that's being used as the blueprint, eh? :mex:
User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 28178
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 12:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: Canucks select Jared McCann at #24

Post by Strangelove »

Betamax wrote: How much do you think he'll receive in his next contract .... I mean, he's just a 28 years old goalie with Not even ONE SINGLE Vezina vote! :eh:
He'll likely get ~$6m AAV (about how much average #1s seem to be getting of late).

Yeah, he definitely won't be getting what the "elite" goaltenders are getting dude. :hmmm:

True he hasn't exactly established himself as a #1, but the Devs don't want to lose him as a UFA.

And as YOU keep saying, a team must pay a premium for those UFA years. :wink:

So they're basically in a sign-him-at-slightly-less-than-average-number-one-wages-and-cross-fingers stage.

PLUS that UFA premium. :wink:
Betamax wrote: BTW, how old was Timmy Thomas when he received his first Vezina vote? :mex:
Dunno, but Roberto Luongo was 24. :mex:
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!
User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 28178
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 12:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: Canucks select Jared McCann at #24

Post by Strangelove »

$lacker wrote:
Betamax wrote:
Strangelove wrote:Hopefully Jared McCann turns out to be an "elite" NHLer.

Can we PLEASE get back on topic guys?
You can hope all you want ...... but more likely he will be a serviceable 3C NHLer .... like Horvat and have a productive if not spectacular career. :mex:
People were saying the same thing about Kesler when he was drafted and developing... He turned out pretty well.
Exactly, one never knows.

I'm intrigued by that Kesler-like chip on his shoulder.

Thanks for getting us back on topic btw $lacker. :thumbs:
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!
Post Reply