Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Strangelove »

Mëds wrote:According to GeneralFanager Reimer doesn't have any kind of trade protection. Luongo does.

Unless things have changed I think Florida has to honour Lou's NTC and protect him unless he waives.
Nope, Lou can be exposed in the expansion draft (and I'll bet Florida will indeed expose him).

See, Lou doesn't have a NMC.

Pretty sure the expansion team won't take a 38-yr-old (by then) $6M goalie though.

I'll bet the Cats ran this all by Luongo before they signed Reimer...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Strangelove wrote:
Mëds wrote:According to GeneralFanager Reimer doesn't have any kind of trade protection. Luongo does.

Unless things have changed I think Florida has to honour Lou's NTC and protect him unless he waives.
Nope, Lou can be exposed in the expansion draft (and I'll bet Florida will indeed expose him).

Pretty sure the expansion team won't take a 38-yr-old (by then) $6M goalie though.

Yeah of the two, I still think they'd protect Luongo. Not sure why they gave Reimer the deal they did, probably to bring him in there without trade protection, and have him backup Lou in case Lou starts to break down. Word is they're already starting the season without him.

Vegas will be able to choose a combination of Bernier/Gibson, Rask/Subban/Khubodin, Ward/Lack, Howard/Mrazek, Lehtonen/Niemi, Dubnyk/Kuemper, Andersson/Hammond, Mason/Neuvirth, Miller/Markstrom, Pavelic/Hellebuyk etc etc... the list is long and then you get into spots where some goalies have NMC's and need to be protected so guys like Matt Murray or Andrey Vasilevski could even be available barring fairly significant trades.

Goaltending is the one spot where Vegas will be able to find some competitive help right away.
Hockey Widow
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Hockey Widow »

Having to select a minimum of three goalies, and looking at who is potentially available, they should get two decent NHL goalies and someone for their AHL affiliate.

Any idea who their AHL affiliate is?
The only HW the Canucks need
BladesofSteel
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by BladesofSteel »

Hockey Widow wrote:Having to select a minimum of three goalies, and looking at who is potentially available, they should get two decent NHL goalies and someone for their AHL affiliate.

Any idea who their AHL affiliate is?
Reno Rejects?
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Almost-27 year old, 15-goal, 40-point winger Alex Killorn gets $4.45x7 years.

And again, after a disastrously-injured season, the Sutter contract is still looking better and better.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Vegas will be able to choose a combination of Bernier/Gibson, Rask/Subban/Khubodin, Ward/Lack, Howard/Mrazek, Lehtonen/Niemi, Dubnyk/Kuemper, Andersson/Hammond, Mason/Neuvirth, Miller/Markstrom, Pavelic/Hellebuyk
Obviously protected: Gibson, Rask, Mrazek, Dubnyk, Andersson, Mason, Markstrom, Hellebuyk.

Most of those other guys will either be UFAs or otherwise not worth selecting.

Subban will be plucked for sure, and I agree with you that Vegas will end up with a decent set of goalies.

I think they end up with Fleury, Subban, and ??
Island Nucklehead wrote: and then you get into spots where some goalies have NMC's and need to be protected so guys like Matt Murray or Andrey Vasilevski could even be available barring fairly significant trades.
No possible way that Murray or Vasilevski are exposed.

Bishop is a pending UFA (so he doesn't need to be protected) (which means Pens can protect Murray).

Anyway, Bishop is very likely traded...

Fleury will either be traded, agree to waive for the draft, or get bought out (Vas is their goalie now).
____
Try to focus on someday.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Strangelove wrote:

So automatic expansion protection only applies to NMC's not NTC?

Do you have a link for the protection rules, merely curious to read it.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Mëds wrote: Do you have a link for the protection rules, merely curious to read it.
http://www.canuckscorner.com/forums/vie ... 85#p260685

:wink:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Strangelove wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:
Vegas will be able to choose a combination of Bernier/Gibson, Rask/Subban/Khubodin, Ward/Lack, Howard/Mrazek, Lehtonen/Niemi, Dubnyk/Kuemper, Andersson/Hammond, Mason/Neuvirth, Miller/Markstrom, Pavelic/Hellebuyk
Obviously protected: Gibson, Rask, Mrazek, Dubnyk, Andersson, Mason, Markstrom, Hellebuyk.

Most of those other guys will either be UFAs or otherwise not worth selecting.
Yep. Point being Florida shouldn't be worried about exposing Reimer OR Luongo. But I think Luongo will be the better goalie as long as he wants to keep playing. Even if FLA loses Reimer it's not like they can't go right back in†ø the UFA market July 1 and find a capable replacement.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Vegas could be looking at people like Luongo as 'marquee' players to start building the brand. Consider that Luongo's a big poker player and you've got some built in marketing right there. ;)

Vegas has to win sell tickets in their sophomore year, but they need some personalities to sell the game that is new to 95% of the local population.
Hockey Widow
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Hockey Widow »

I have a hard time imagining Riemer going unclaimed.
The only HW the Canucks need
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Cornuck wrote: Vegas has to win sell tickets in their sophomore year, but they need some personalities to sell the game that is new to 95% of the local population.
Can they claim Torts?
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

They need Jeremy Roenick in the front office for marketing... I hate him (old fashioned hockey hate, nothing serious) but that muther gives awesome interviews!!!
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

No surprise, PK's a natural as the Man In Black

http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/106081 ... hville-bar
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Island Nucklehead wrote: Callahan's got a NMC which has a limited NTC for 2018/19 and 19/20. Not sure if that means he retains his No-Move but has to provide a trade list. If he keeps the NMC that screws them come expansion time. Fillpula has a NMC with some form of trade protection as well. Kind of grey as they look like combination deals, ie they can't be waived but they can be asked to submit trade lists.

Could get interesting for Tampa. Johnson, Palat, Kucherov, Kilorn, Hedman and Bishop will all be up for contracts between now and 2017. Hedman and Bishop, if they stay, will be eligible UFA's and I would imagine demand some form of NTC/NMC (not that they would leave them exposed). Drouin (if he stays) will be off is ELC by then and need to be protected.
Callahan, Flip and Bishop have a NMC, but Bish is limited nmc, he probably will be moved, but if they don't get anything worth value they'll keep him till UFA.

Killorn, Hedman re-signed.

Leaves Johnson and Palat whom imo will get $6M - $5M respectively.

If some team wants to throw a wrench in Yzerman's perfect team and perfect world, where everyone is happy and jolly with low taxes, and life is grande with no cons, only pros.

A team could offersheet Kucherov the sniper of snipers.

$7.5M per just to be a dick.

or be real ruthless and offer $8.5M per (he's worth that imo), mortgaging your future for a young 23 year old uberstar winger, as he's a game breaker in the playoffs avg. a point per game, a goal every other game.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.