L-GDT: Canucks @ oilers may 14/24 6:30 pm snp

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

CrzyCanuck
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: L-GDT: Canucks @ oilers may 14/24 6:30 pm snp

Post by CrzyCanuck »

It's like 11.6 only came for a pubic skating session

Smh
Hockey is Life, Nothing Else Matters
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Kind of surprised that Blobber has joined in the fray. He's been pretty patient with EP thus far.

Most of us would be happy to not be critical of his play at all. You could excuse the regular season since the ASG. You could even excuse the first few games vs the Preds, but two rounds of poor play when you are supposedly the 1st line center... sorry, bud. That's chokier than Cap'n Nazzy.

Like I said earlier in the GDT, I'm surprised we've gone this far with only 2 forward lines contributing anything.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 19 People!
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Cornuck wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 9:39 pm
Mëds wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 9:31 pm
He definitely didn’t see that one all the way in.
I haven't seen the replays, and ESPN doesn't show/know shit.

Was that last goal deflected?
No. In Miller's post game comments JT said it all: He shouldn't have let that pass get through and he should have blocked the shot, his positioning meant that if he doesn't block the shot Silovs can't see anything until it's right in front of him.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 9:40 pm

No and I saw the replay. He watched it the whole way
Cuz watched the replay through a haze of smoke.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Carl Yagro wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 10:18 pm Kind of surprised that Blobber has joined in the fray. He's been pretty patient with EP thus far.

Most of us would be happy to not be critical of his play at all. You could excuse the regular season since the ASG. You could even excuse the first few games vs the Preds, but two rounds of poor play when you are supposedly the 1st line center... sorry, bud. That's chokier than Cap'n Nazzy.

Like I said earlier in the GDT, I'm surprised we've gone this far with only 2 forward lines contributing anything.
Our blueline, d-system, and goaltending, does keep us in games until those 2 lines can break through finally and get something done.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Mëds wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 10:26 pm

No. In Miller's post game comments JT said it all: He shouldn't have let that pass get through and he should have blocked the shot, his positioning meant that if he doesn't block the shot Silovs can't see anything until it's right in front of him.
And THAT is how you take responsibility.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Cornuck wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 11:05 pm
Mëds wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 10:26 pm

And THAT is how you take responsibility.
Millsie's post game was excellent!
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

Re Marner vs Pettersson. I would point out that Marner has only one year left on his contract, after next season $10.9 in cap space opens up to spend as you please.

Whereas Peter, as we all know, begins an eight year regimen of $11.6. Now given all of this, there is no way Toronto even considers doing that deal. But if they were willing, we'd be nuts not to grab it and run like thieves.
el rey del mambo
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

So Tocchet says there are 5-7 guys who are passengers right now and that he wonders if they realize that it's the playoffs.

Pettersson
Hronek
Lafferty
Mikheyev
Aman
Blueger? - Not sure on this, he's been better.
Suter? - Was a warrior versus the Predators, but haven't really noticed him or heard his name this series.

I feel like Cole is playing hard, just making mental mistakes.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: GDT: Canucks @ oilers may 14/24 6:30 pm snp

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 9:52 pm
Chef Boi RD wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 8:52 pm It’s like the game is too fast for Petey, lol. WTF happened to this guy?
I’ll finally join the dog pile. If you’re injured, excuse yourself and don’t dress. If you’re hurt, play through it like a man. If you lack the compete level your teammates posess, go away. Go be an actuator or a chiropractor or a bone smoker on the Cap Reserve. It’s like he’s a kitten with a thorn in his paw or a clipped whisker.

Seriously, start participating in the fight. Your countrymen are showing a fair bit more heart and grit than you. 6 ft 3, 127 pounds. A stiff breeze would knock this player over.

Are you worth 11.6 million dollars next year ‘Lil’ Petey or 11.6,million pesos?

Grow a heart and a set of nuts to match. What a bum.
It’s hard not to pile on him, I don’t like it but it is what it is, even his coach dog piled on him. Tocchet’s criticism of Petey removed any doubt Petey is suffering from any injury bug of any kind otherwise he would have been more sympathetic. IMHO it’s his strength and conditioning, he looks very weak out there, his skating doesn’t look right. He’s typically two or three steps ahead of the play, anticipation wise, now he looks like he’s always behind the play, can’t keep up.

He and Hronek of the core group are killing us right now. We need these two to be way better. Hughes seems to not be as dynamic either but not faulting him in any way, just not seeing much of his magic in this series. The hit parade on him seems to be working.

Still not getting much from the fourth line, back to the drawing board on that, give Podkolzin a try FFS, Tocchet? Aman and Karlsson and Lafferty and Blueger looked like they didn’t belong last night. We look terribly slow, could use some of Podkolzin’s skating and his hands are miles better than those other jack asses. Does Hoglander get back in? Need more offence. Mikheyev is god awful, his perimeter speed is creating nothing, he needs to drive it to the net more, creating some net front havoc with his speed.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
theman
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by theman »

4th line isn't really costing the Canucks anything, so I will leave them alone.

Petey, yeah, it is hard not to join the chorus. It is truly bizarre his drop of form since the All Star Break. It is almost like he had a lobotomy in Toronto. Alvin and the real GM have made very few mistakes this season but re-signing Petey might turn out to be a huge one. Outside of what Chef has said, which very much could be true and does make sense, the only other reason I can think of is he really misses Kuz.

On the flip side, if he does flip his switch, starting with tomorrow's game, the Canucks will win the series.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

This team has me believing they can win any game. Last night, when we tied it up, I was SURE we could hang on for 1:40 to go to OT.

Oh well - back to a best of 3 with home ice. We just need a few 'passengers' to step up.

Of that list, I think Hronek, Blueger and Suter are making an effort, but the rest? Ghosts. (and yes, EP40 has a goal that any of us could shot into that gaping net - it didn't seem to help confidence.
theman
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by theman »

Cornuck wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 9:01 am This team has me believing they can win any game. Last night, when we tied it up, I was SURE we could hang on for 1:40 to go to OT.

Oh well - back to a best of 3 with home ice. We just need a few 'passengers' to step up.

Of that list, I think Hronek, Blueger and Suter are making an effort, but the rest? Ghosts. (and yes, EP40 has a goal that any of us could shot into that gaping net - it didn't seem to help confidence.
I think whoever wins game 5 will win the series. Tomorrow's game is huge!

As you said, best of 3, some guys just need to do a 'mental reset.'
Lancer
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Lancer »

Cornuck wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 9:01 am This team has me believing they can win any game. Last night, when we tied it up, I was SURE we could hang on for 1:40 to go to OT.

Hronek just looks outmatched out there. He's still making good passes more often than not, but he's losing battles all over the place and just not being hard enough on the puck. He seldom has any room to unleash his shot, but the odd time he has the room he either whiffs or passes. I think the issue is in his head, but what the issue is can be anyone's guess.

Blueger is doing alright given his job. He's a good 4th-line centre and is keeping his head above water. You'd like some of their sustained shifts in the Oilers' zone to result in goals, but any goals from your 4th line is found money anyway. Bluegers is the least of the team's worries.

Pettersson... much has already been said. All I would add is that there were spurts last night where Petey was skating and puckhandling like the Petey of old - but they were just small spurts. Call it hunting for silver linings, but would like to see more of that Petey on a sustained basis, regardless how many points result from it. Go see a shrink or something, because this is all in his head. I don't think he's hiding an injury.

Hoglander's the surprising one. I thought his game would translate easily to playoff hockey but he's disappeared. Almost as if his style worked in the regular season because he was playing more playoff style when everyone else was in regular season mode, but as soon as it became playoff hockey his edge disappeared because now everyone was playing that way. Kid has to find another gear. Either that, or he has to up his conditioning if it's a matter of game fatigue. Tocchet did say he does better when he plays lower minutes.

Regardless, the team has shown that they can come back within a game, and bounce back between games. Game 5 is huge, but I'm confident that at least most of the lineup will be ready for it.

At least we get Soucy back. Not like Silovs played his way out of the net, but has anyone heard when Demko might return?
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Raile
MVP
MVP

Post by Raile »

I'd like to see Hogz get back in. He's spent his career responding well when being demoted or benched. As everyone says his game should be good in the playoffs so I'd hate to see him not get another chance now that he's spent a few games watching from the sidelines.

Hronek looks a bit like the game is always a bit faster than he can keep up with. He's not been great, but that said, you can't trade away everyone who doesn't perform well in their first playoffs. I'd hope this would help get his price tag down, but we still need a strong right side and I'd be disappointed if we trade him away simply because of his play here.