Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

ESQ
MVP
MVP

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by ESQ »

5thhorseman wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:09 pm Quenneville's contract runs thru 2019-20. Is he just paid a flat severance or does he have to avoid being hired by another team in order to continue collecting a paycheque? If the latter, then he has plenty of time to make a decision on which young and upcoming contender he wants to join ;) ;)
This came up when Torts was fired here. The canucks paid him his salary (I forget what it was, but it was the highest in the league). CBJ wanted to hire him, but wouldn't match the salary, so Torts would actually take home less money to actually coach for the CBJ, because signing with CBJ would end his canucks contract.

In the end Aquilini had to grease the BJ's to get them to take torts and thereby end Tortd's salary from the canucks.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

ESQ wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:48 am
5thhorseman wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:09 pm Quenneville's contract runs thru 2019-20. Is he just paid a flat severance or does he have to avoid being hired by another team in order to continue collecting a paycheque? If the latter, then he has plenty of time to make a decision on which young and upcoming contender he wants to join ;) ;)
This came up when Torts was fired here. The canucks paid him his salary (I forget what it was, but it was the highest in the league). CBJ wanted to hire him, but wouldn't match the salary, so Torts would actually take home less money to actually coach for the CBJ, because signing with CBJ would end his canucks contract.

In the end Aquilini had to grease the BJ's to get them to take torts and thereby end Tortd's salary from the canucks.
I thought the general rule of thumb was that if a fired head coach was hired by another team as head coach then the former team could just pay the difference in the salary for the remainder of his tenure.

Obviously a severance package would change that. But it would also free the coach up to go wherever he wanted.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Mëds wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:14 pm
I thought the general rule of thumb was that if a fired head coach was hired by another team as head coach then the former team could just pay the difference in the salary for the remainder of his tenure.

Obviously a severance package would change that. But it would also free the coach up to go wherever he wanted.
I think the specific issue with Torts was that his salary with the Canucks was exceedingly high, and Columbus didn't want to pay Torts that much. Which would mean that as you say, the Canucks would be "topping him up" on top of his CBJ salary. So the Aquilinis would be paying less to Torts, but at the same time they'd be paying Torts to coach a different team.

I think the usual rule of thumb has been the hiring team matches the previous team's salary and its not an issue. Or, if the hiring team is playing less, the coach accepts it because the opportunity to coach is so important, and ultimately more valuable to future earnings potential than sitting at home collecting a paycheque. But perhaps Torts was a special case, because he wanted to have his cake and eat it to - continue getting paid as one of the top-salary coaches in the league, while coaching a team that didn't want to pay him that much.

This comes into play with Quenneville, because he's making over $6 mil through this season and next, making him one of the highest-paid coaches in the league. If a team wants him to take over, but doesn't want to match the Hawks' salary (which is extremely unlikely - Quenneville is much more sought after than Torts), it could create a sticky situation. But that's very unlikely.
Skintag Necklace
AHL Prospect

Post by Skintag Necklace »

ESQ wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:48 am

The only rule of thumb is don’t sit down too fast when you have it up your fat greasy ass Mëds
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

ESQ wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:35 pm

I think the specific issue with Torts was that his salary with the Canucks was exceedingly high, and Columbus didn't want to pay Torts that much. Which would mean that as you say, the Canucks would be "topping him up" on top of his CBJ salary. So the Aquilinis would be paying less to Torts, but at the same time they'd be paying Torts to coach a different team.

I think the usual rule of thumb has been the hiring team matches the previous team's salary and its not an issue. Or, if the hiring team is playing less, the coach accepts it because the opportunity to coach is so important, and ultimately more valuable to future earnings potential than sitting at home collecting a paycheque. But perhaps Torts was a special case, because he wanted to have his cake and eat it to - continue getting paid as one of the top-salary coaches in the league, while coaching a team that didn't want to pay him that much.

This comes into play with Quenneville, because he's making over $6 mil through this season and next, making him one of the highest-paid coaches in the league. If a team wants him to take over, but doesn't want to match the Hawks' salary (which is extremely unlikely - Quenneville is much more sought after than Torts), it could create a sticky situation. But that's very unlikely.
Simple: Toronto just hires him as another assistant.
"evolution"
Skintag Necklace
AHL Prospect

Post by Skintag Necklace »

Sure thing Dicky :roll:
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Hahaha good old skintag is back...
If you need air...call it in
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Lmao!!!!
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Skintag Necklace wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:03 pm Sure thing Dicky :roll:
"evolution"
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:58 am The rest of Canada’s hate on for all things Canucks has moved in from the Sedin slagging to the now Pettersson slagging. Everybody runs to Gaudreau’s defence after the MacAvoy hit (no small man, small neck card was brought out like it was for Pettersson as to why he was hurt. Must be a general dislike for Swedish players by the rest of Canada unless you are Salming or Sundin, I suppose.

Green should stop being a twat and remove the ever so useless Eriksson from Petterson’s wing and put Roussel there, he really can’t be any worse than Eriksson. Nobody can.
:lol:
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:44 am
RoyalDude wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:58 am The rest of Canada’s hate on for all things Canucks has moved in from the Sedin slagging to the now Pettersson slagging. Everybody runs to Gaudreau’s defence after the MacAvoy hit (no small man, small neck card was brought out like it was for Pettersson as to why he was hurt. Must be a general dislike for Swedish players by the rest of Canada unless you are Salming or Sundin, I suppose.

Green should stop being a twat and remove the ever so useless Eriksson from Petterson’s wing and put Roussel there, he really can’t be any worse than Eriksson. Nobody can.
:lol:
Are you now championing Eriksson?

Should he play centre?

Baubles is flip flopping so much we'll start calling him The Thong.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

He should play defence. He could be the Wart’s partner
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

https://www.tsn.ca/bruins-grant-g-rask- ... -1.1206950

Bruins grant leave of absence to Rask after game with Canucks.
"evolution"
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Where's Jeff Brown?
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

____
Try to focus on someday.