For me it’s about reciprocity.
Another person’s actions/words do not necessarily control my own response.
Sports and Politics. Do they mix?
Moderators: donlever, Referees
- Meds
- MVP

- Posts: 6322
- Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:50 pm
Re: Sports and Politics. Do they mix?
Somewhere in NW BC trying (yet again) to trade a(nother) Swede…..
- donlever
- Moderator & MVP

- Posts: 7308
- Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:07 pm
Re: Sports and Politics. Do they mix?
I regard booing an anthem like dropping a middle finger on someone who cut you off in traffic.
Pretty useless overall from the instigators perspective but the roi can be a bitch.
Hughes bolting town.
A machete between the eyes.
Pretty useless overall from the instigators perspective but the roi can be a bitch.
Hughes bolting town.
A machete between the eyes.
DeLevering since 1999.
- UWSaint
- MVP

- Posts: 1464
- Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:37 pm
Re: Sports and Politics. Do they mix?
(1) Not angry; most recent conversation was instigated by my observation that if some American players feel unwelcome in Canada, it may have something to do with booing at rinks, threats, etc., associated with their status as Americans. (I’ve not made the claim of whether what inspires the booing is good or bad; I’ve implied it’s the wrong forum). That most recent conversation is an example of a broader point that I don’t much like using sport to make political points, subordinating sport to politics. It’s ineffective politics, and it takes a place for bridges and sullies it.
(2) I don’t want this thread to get into what Trump is doing, but the claim “getting his hands on Canada’s resources by any means necessary” is exaggerated. Do you *really* believe the United States is going to use military force to take Canada’s stuff? This kind of rhetoric is (to little old me) as whacked out as Trump’s can be. And it’s too bad, because the sky-is-falling chicken-little Chamberlain-Hitler-TRUMP! stuff undermines the credibility of those who could be stating legitimate grievances.
Hono_rary Canadian
- UWSaint
- MVP

- Posts: 1464
- Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:37 pm
Re: Sports and Politics. Do they mix?
Right. And this goes both ways. Trump’s rhetoric doesn’t change whether I think it’s appropriate to boo an anthem. And I’d advise those players to thicken their skins unless the danger is real.
Nor is another man’s guilt mine, whether that other man is my kin or countryman.
Hono_rary Canadian
- Meds
- MVP

- Posts: 6322
- Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:50 pm
Re: Sports and Politics. Do they mix?
Exactly. Meet hate with love. Meet disrespect with respect. Meet enmity with friendship.
See what happens.
Somewhere in NW BC trying (yet again) to trade a(nother) Swede…..
-
Ronning's Ghost
- MVP

- Posts: 879
- Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2004 5:25 pm
- Location: New Westminster
Re: Sports and Politics. Do they mix?
I suppose it's less of a transgression against board order to bring hockey talk into the Bar & Grill, so:
I predict that 5 years from now, there will a consensus amongst informed hockey observers that Hughes did the Canucks a huge favour, not only by informing them of his long-term plans, but by being the final domino to fall that convinced ownership to begin the rebuild that returned the franchise to relevance, and by kickstarting that rebuild with solid trade value.
Heck (stretching it a bit) in five years the Canucks might prefer to have just Novotny over Hughes.
