GDT, Oct 8, Canucks at Carolina, 4 PM PST, SNP
Moderators: donlever, Referees
-
theman
- CC Hall of Fan Member
- Posts: 2300
- Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:51 pm
Re: GDT, Oct 8, Canucks at Carolina, 4 PM PST, SNP
Zeev with his first point of the season?
- UWSaint
- MVP

- Posts: 1476
- Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:37 pm
Re: GDT, Oct 8, Canucks at Carolina, 4 PM PST, SNP
Sushi is getting manhandled the same as always has. But he is making some progress off the puck in the offensive zone, and is increasing his decisionmaking speed. Don't like him in the d-zone. The verdict is very much still out, and we need many more games before we see whether those counting stats are a product of good fortune. Given his success in the AHL (when not injured) and the possession of a couple NHL+ skills (shot and hands), folks were way to early to write him off. And yet the things that indicated reasonable skepticism remain.
Hono_rary Canadian
-
Ronning's Ghost
- MVP

- Posts: 906
- Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2004 5:25 pm
- Location: New Westminster
Re: GDT, Oct 8, Canucks at Carolina, 4 PM PST, SNP
Coaches like winning, and hate losing.
But until I see evidence to the contrary, I will continue to hope that Malhotra & Co. have the sense to stress that for this season (at least), the numbers on the scoreboard are irrelevant. He will only be stressing individual developments (including, of course, individual developments in effective team play), and that whether or not that that is happening on schedule, and how hard the players are working to keep it on schedule, are the only factors against which they should be measuring whether to be encouraged or discouraged.
For instance:
Like I said, dig out a couple of AV's old "process" speeches and just put them on loop. Or in Manny's words, the difference between losing and playing losing hockey.
In sum, I would say that if any of the players are getting discouraged after a loss in which their individual play was on or above their targeted development curve, the coach is not playing the right kind of head games.
Management should also be emphasizing that every player has a chance to play themselves on to a winning team, whether that's the Canucks in 5 years, or another team before the trade deadline (and they get some say in which).
But of course, fans get discouraged, too, and an empty building will discourage Francesco, whom I see as the real potential mental weak link in the re-build.
Lankinen has the 3rd worst save% in the league, at .796, but Merilainen has the 6th best, at .941. So if discouragement becomes an issue, it would appear that there is a switch to throw to make games competitive.
I'd be planning to give Merilainen the starts at home against the toughest opponents. Still lose, but look really good losing against likely division champions and finalists.
- Cornuck
- Moderator & MVP

- Posts: 6568
- Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:39 am
- Location: Everywhere
Re: GDT, Oct 8, Canucks at Carolina, 4 PM PST, SNP
I get the whole "player development, score doesn't matter " theory.
But every now and then, things are going to click with group, and they'll play a good game, maybe quite a few. I just say (again) that it will be a real drag on those players when their sieve of a goalie loses the game. They need those wins to try to keep the morale high.
If Lankinen keeps it up, it will be tough to call him the starter. I think Demko's done. He might play a few more games than Chytil, but he's not a long term solution.
But every now and then, things are going to click with group, and they'll play a good game, maybe quite a few. I just say (again) that it will be a real drag on those players when their sieve of a goalie loses the game. They need those wins to try to keep the morale high.
If Lankinen keeps it up, it will be tough to call him the starter. I think Demko's done. He might play a few more games than Chytil, but he's not a long term solution.
The Jet Woo Era is over.
- Hockey Widow
- CC Legend
- Posts: 3821
- Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm
Re: GDT, Oct 8, Canucks at Carolina, 4 PM PST, SNP
I think post game Manny beat said it. It’s not they lost it’s how they lost. And that is unacceptable. Any player not getting it will not be around long. So as well as or part of the development is learning not only systems but how to lose.
What we saw this game was losing hockey. So I think some players will be given a longer leash than others but I don’t question for a second that if they identify a “I don’t give a fuck”player that player will be marked for the next ticket out of town anyway possible.
Raty needs to play every game.
What we saw this game was losing hockey. So I think some players will be given a longer leash than others but I don’t question for a second that if they identify a “I don’t give a fuck”player that player will be marked for the next ticket out of town anyway possible.
Raty needs to play every game.
The only HW the Canucks need
- Cousin Strawberry
- MVP

- Posts: 10069
- Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:19 pm
- Location: in the shed with a fresh packed bowl
Re: GDT, Oct 8, Canucks at Carolina, 4 PM PST, SNP
Lanky is just living his best life, no hurries no worries 5 digit paydays every Friday.
"The score doesn't matter"


Mixing bevvies and twistin' fatties off by April 15th just in time for extended relaxation on the shores of some distant tree lined Finnish lake
"The score doesn't matter"


Mixing bevvies and twistin' fatties off by April 15th just in time for extended relaxation on the shores of some distant tree lined Finnish lake
If you need air...call it in
