Canucks News N Notes 23-24 Playoff Edition

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks News N Notes 23-24 Playoff Edition

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

I have heard Ekholm was quite sick for game 5 and was seriously struggling hence the low ice time. Hopefully it's still in his system as he's by far their best dman.

There are rumours of Tiny Troy Stretcher getting in the lineup too. Please, god of gods...make this happen
If you need air...call it in
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 10:12 am I have heard Ekholm was quite sick for game 5 and was seriously struggling hence the low ice time. Hopefully it's still in his system as he's by far their best dman.

There are rumours of Tiny Troy Stretcher getting in the lineup too. Please, god of gods...make this happen
Is Stecher still stick handling the puck like it’s a hot potato. Unfortunately for Stencher he plays with a field hockey stick or a ping pong paddle, he also gets lit up down low, classic keystone cop. Good guy though.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Skinner and Stecher? Yes, please!

McJesus & Crysaddle will be playing horizontal all night at 5v5, I'm sure.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 19 People!
Raile
MVP
MVP

Post by Raile »

Carl Yagro wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 11:07 am Skinner and Stecher? Yes, please!

McJesus & Crysaddle will be playing horizontal all night at 5v5, I'm sure.
Have we heard they are playing Skinner? their back up was one of their best players last game!
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Yeah, they announced Skinner was back in the pipes. I'm not sure about this move on their part, but hey, I like it!
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 19 People!
Raile
MVP
MVP

Post by Raile »

we make ace lineup changes while they make poor ones. works for me
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

Carl Yagro wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 11:23 am Yeah, they announced Skinner was back in the pipes. I'm not sure about this move on their part, but hey, I like it!
Raile wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 12:11 pm we make ace lineup changes while they make poor ones. works for me
Great news for those who predicted Canucks in 6.
donlever
MVP
MVP

Post by donlever »

You?
DeLevering since 1999.
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

No, I had Oilers in 7.

Not wrong yet, but if either the Canucks can generate one more effort like game 5, or the Oilers get the same performance out of Skinner that we saw earlier in the series, I will be.
donlever
MVP
MVP

Post by donlever »

....and happy to be so one presumes.

Ran into your namesake at Mercedes on Lougheed off Boundary the other week.

He's looking a bit ghost like truth be told....
DeLevering since 1999.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

I'll never forget that time at a house party in Burnaby heights during his playing days, I offered him a blast from my 6 paper party doobie and he sneered, quickly shuffled out to his SL500 and squealed his tires outta there

Nerd
If you need air...call it in
Todd Bersnoozi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

"Oilers got Bullied."

Perspective of an Oiler's fan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8jbMb-gDTc

Big strong doods on our D core (especially NZ91) laying the smack down on the opposition. :P
MJN
AHL Prospect

Post by MJN »

With the success of younger starts winning cups the perception of the prime years of players has shifted, to my recollection it was closer to 27-30 were the best years for players. Given contracts and the amount of hockey played at a younger age it seems like that bracket of age has dropped a bit.

The reason why I bring it up is, to me it looks like a young team that doesn't yet know how to handle adversity and push back of a panicking opponent. There was also a premium on previous stanley cup winners as mentors for budding teams which the canucks lack. The absence of maturity is showing.

To me this is also what Pettersson is going through. He dreamed of making it in the NHL and he has. The reality of getting punched in the face every time you show up for work has to be an eye opener and being a millionaire in your early 20's is going to take some time for him to adjust. It is common for players to struggle the first year after signing a big contract. He has to be become something he has never been before and I don't know where you would really get prepared for that kind of life. The older I get the younger 24/25 seems.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

MJN wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 9:22 am With the success of younger starts winning cups the perception of the prime years of players has shifted, to my recollection it was closer to 27-30 were the best years for players. Given contracts and the amount of hockey played at a younger age it seems like that bracket of age has dropped a bit.

The reason why I bring it up is, to me it looks like a young team that doesn't yet know how to handle adversity and push back of a panicking opponent. There was also a premium on previous stanley cup winners as mentors for budding teams which the canucks lack. The absence of maturity is showing.

To me this is also what Pettersson is going through. He dreamed of making it in the NHL and he has. The reality of getting punched in the face every time you show up for work has to be an eye opener and being a millionaire in your early 20's is going to take some time for him to adjust. It is common for players to struggle the first year after signing a big contract. He has to be become something he has never been before and I don't know where you would really get prepared for that kind of life. The older I get the younger 24/25 seems.
He signed an ELC with bonuses at 19. He was a millionaire by 20. He then signed for $22M over 3 years at age 22. That contract is now finished. He has already had his early 20’s to adjust to being a millionaire. Now he’s in his mid 20’s.

I’ll give him the “first real playoffs” excuse. Same as I do for Hughes and Hronek and the rest of our roster that’s never tasted the NHL post season.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

MJN wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 9:22 am With the success of younger starts winning cups the perception of the prime years of players has shifted, to my recollection it was closer to 27-30 were the best years for players. Given contracts and the amount of hockey played at a younger age it seems like that bracket of age has dropped a bit.

Not so sure about that

Florida - Ekblad, Bennett, Reinhart, verhaeghe, Barkov are 28 going on 29. Tarasenko and OEL are 32. Cousins and Rodrigues are 30, Okposo is 36, Brobovsky is 35, Forsling is 27, Montour is 30, kulikov is 33

NYR - Panarin 32, Zibanejad 31, Trouba 30, Kreider 33, Trochek and Vesey 30, Gustafson 32

In Dallas - Benn, Suter, Duchene, Pavelski, Tanev and Seguin are no spring chickens

You need a combination of veterans and youth in that prime age category between 23 and 27. It’s aiways been this way outside of a couple outliers. The Knights who won it last year were a veteran laden lineup
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau