Coaching Change? Yay or Nay.

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Should Benning try righting the ship by making a change behind the bench? If so with who?

Total votes: 0

2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Re: Coaching Change? Yay or Nay.

Post by 2Fingers »

A good system can improve all players.

Look no further than Vegas as one where they had a system that suited the players, everyone bought into it and they have had success.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Vin Tanner wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 5:02 pm
Richardstroker69 wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 4:42 pm I think they need a hard ass.
I think Boudreau would get their attention.
Boudreau has a long history of coaching offensive juggernauts that fail miserably when the games get tight and you need to be extra responsible in your own end.

Claude Julien. Solid resume. 200 foot approach to the ice. Old-school. Team toughness.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Clode…. :thumbs:
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Boudreau where’s out his welcome pretty fast wherever he goes
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:11 pm Boudreau where’s out his welcome pretty fast wherever he goes
He’s a 4- 5 year guy that has had a lot of success with some high end offensive teams. In order to win a cup you need a goalie with a minimum .92 sage pctg in playoffs, and not piss the bed when it matters. You need a goalie…. period.

He seems to suit the personnel here to a Tee. But I don’t have a huge problem with Julien either. But this is not his style of team. He’d need to flip 25% of the roster. This team is among the fluffiest inthe league. Julien likes a hard nosed group.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

Majority sentiment here seems to be that Claude Julien would be the best fit. I agree with that, provided that Mr Aquilini is ready to open up his wallet and pay for a veteran NHL coach with a good resume. Babcock would be my other candidate but that might be difficult in a hockey fishbowl market like Vancouver after his Toronto experience. I think Mike is probably waiting for a US opportunity once the stench of the Toronto experience wears off which was caused by a couple of immature brats on the leaves roster inho.
el rey del mambo
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

It's a shame something couldn't be done before Gadjovich and MacEwen went out the door for no apparent reason.
el rey del mambo
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Megaterio Llamas wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:30 pm Majority sentiment here seems to be that Claude Julien would be the best fit. I agree with that, provided that Mr Aquilini is ready to open up his wallet and pay for a veteran NHL coach with a good resume. Babcock would be my other candidate but that might be difficult in a hockey fishbowl market like Vancouver after his Toronto experience. I think Mike is probably waiting for a US opportunity once the stench of the Toronto experience wears off which was caused by a couple of immature brats on the Leaves roster inho.
The fly in the ointment is what Blobcat says though.....have to flip a chunk of the roster.

There are definitely guys here that can play the 200 foot game and put in the effort, but there's a glaring lack of team toughness and pack mentality.
donlever
MVP
MVP

Post by donlever »

Mëds wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:37 pm The fly in the ointment is what Blobcat says though.....have to flip a chunk of the roster.

There are definitely guys here that can play the 200 foot game and put in the effort, but there's a glaring lack of team toughness and pack mentality.
...so what you're actually saying is that there isn't a fly in the ointment and ideally in an effort to succeed we do need to flip a chunk of the roster post coaching change.
DeLevering since 1999.
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

el rey del mambo
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

donlever wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:40 pm
Mëds wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:37 pm The fly in the ointment is what Blobcat says though.....have to flip a chunk of the roster.

...so what you're actually saying is that there isn't a fly in the ointment and ideally in an effort to succeed we do need to flip a chunk of the roster post coaching change.
Well by fly in the ointment I mean that I'm not sure that we can flip what needs to be flipped very quickly because of our cap situation.

I'm really sold on the idea of moving on from Pettersson, which opens up a ton of space and options as well as a massive can of worms.

It's not that I think he's a shitty player, I just think he's going to be our next Alex Edler, a talented guy who ownership, management, coaching, and fanbase, all think is a legit stud but really is a tier below what he's being deployed as. So I say: sell high.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Canucks gotta snatch up Julien before another team does.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Curmudgeon
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Curmudgeon »

Coming out of the bubble, can you imagine the reaction out there if someone started proposing Pettersson trades? The last Vegas game was September 4/20, all of just under 14 months ago. Amazing turn of events.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Rather than flip over half the roster, there is a system out there that can take the high-end players we have, and not force them to be square pegs in round holes. Boudreau seems to me to be the most likely candidate to accomplish that.

But new system, new coach, I'm not sure either will flip the switch for Petey. Something is off. I think the team is deep enough to put him in a different spot as he works back into NHL form. Maybe Hoglander-Miller-Boeser, Pearson-Horvat-Podkolzin, Dickinson-Pettersson-Garland?

But maybe I'm wrong, and Petey will be like Stamkos coming out from under Melrose. Maybe BB or another coach gets Petey to move around the ice looking for a shot, or to move the puck more quickly in the offensive, or to take the one-timer on occasion.

In most cases I think of the coaching change as "Change for Change's sake", and I somewhat feel that way now, however with how good the team is on paper I think Change for Change's Sake should be on the table.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

ESQ wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:10 pm Rather than flip over half the roster, there is a system out there that can take the high-end players we have, and not force them to be square pegs in round holes. Boudreau seems to me to be the most likely candidate to accomplish that.

But new system, new coach, I'm not sure either will flip the switch for Petey. Something is off. I think the team is deep enough to put him in a different spot as he works back into NHL form. Maybe Hoglander-Miller-Boeser, Pearson-Horvat-Podkolzin, Dickinson-Pettersson-Garland?

But maybe I'm wrong, and Petey will be like Stamkos coming out from under Melrose. Maybe BB or another coach gets Petey to move around the ice looking for a shot, or to move the puck more quickly in the offensive, or to take the one-timer on occasion.

In most cases I think of the coaching change as "Change for Change's sake", and I somewhat feel that way now, however with how good the team is on paper I think Change for Change's Sake should be on the table.
I don't think Pettersson is the player we thought he was. I think he's going to have a decent career as a top-6 forward, but he's going to be very streaky and never be the guy who carries a line the way a top center does. Horvat has done almost as much as Petey in terms of scoring the past few years and he plays with a revolving door of slugs.

As for change for change sake.....not in this case. Unless you believe that the Canucks are going over the boards and not trying to execute the system that Green has drawn up.