US Erection 12 *AND* 16 *AND* 20 *AND* 22 *AND* 24

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Topper
CC Legend

Re: US Erection 12 *AND* 16 *AND* 20

Post by Topper »

Ignorance of the law is no excuse.

If voting is a priority, understanding voting laws is also a priority.

If correcting bullshit is a priority, knowing the facts is a priority.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Topper wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:38 am Ignorance of the law is no excuse.

If voting is a priority, understanding voting laws is also a priority.

If correcting bullshit is a priority, knowing the facts is a priority.
Actually in these past few posts about the Georgia election laws you have provided exactly zero facts. You surely have made claims though, and like most claims from the right it’s misleading.

The particular law that Per points out ...

I said they could solve the issue of electioneering by the state providing water and food in those long lines.

You said I should read the law as that’s what they are doing. I checked and double checked and the law provides that the polling station may provide water, but it’s not required to.

That’s not what I suggest, if they are indeed worried about electioneering and not trying to tilt the table by restricting Democrat voters ability to reach the voter’s booth. Then requiring the state to provide non-partisan water and refreshments solves the issue of electioneering.

Allowing polling stations to provide water if they choose, is not the same thing at all. In fact leaving it up to one individual polling stations to provide equitable access to food and water and not another is exactly another tool for a dishonest government to manipulate the vote.

You making it sound like it’s just business as usual is BS but hey, tell it to MLB, Coca Cola and Home Depot. They might believe you.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Then there's this (link):
Under current law, key issues in election management — including decisions on disqualifying ballots and voter eligibility — are made by county boards of election. The new law allows the State Board of Elections to determine that these county boards are performing poorly, replacing the entire board with an administrator chosen at the state level.
Of course, Republicans at the state level can arbitrarily decide that the Democrats on the county board aren't doing a good job and replace them.
The state board, which now will be fully controlled by the Republican legislative majority, is unilaterally empowered to take over (among other things) the process of disqualifying ballots across the state. Given that Georgia Republicans have helped promote false allegations of voter fraud, it’s easy to see why handing them so much power over local election authorities is so worrying.

The greatest area of concern here for Democrats is Fulton County, home to Atlanta and a disproportionate number of Black voters. Republicans have baselessly alleged that this Democratic bastion was a major site of fraud, citing (among other things) a purported video of ballot-stuffing in the county. Though official investigations, court cases, and independent fact-checks found no evidence of such fraud — in the video or otherwise — the myth that it happened persists.

The new bill would allow Republicans to seize control of how elections are administered in Fulton County and other heavily Democratic areas, disqualifying voters and ballots as they see fit.
As for time off to vote, that varies by state, which is why a national holiday would be a good idea. It's easy enough to say that you have plenty of time to vote, unless you're working a 10 hour day or have 2 jobs, or need to take public transportation from work to home. Getting an hour off when you can drive home at any hour to your polling place which happens to have little to no lineup makes it easy for people of means to vote.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Cornuck wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:32 pm Then there's this (link):
Under current law, key issues in election management — including decisions on disqualifying ballots and voter eligibility — are made by county boards of election. The new law allows the State Board of Elections to determine that these county boards are performing poorly, replacing the entire board with an administrator chosen at the state level.
Of course, Republicans at the state level can arbitrarily decide that the Democrats on the county board aren't doing a good job and replace them.
The state board, which now will be fully controlled by the Republican legislative majority, is unilaterally empowered to take over (among other things) the process of disqualifying ballots across the state. Given that Georgia Republicans have helped promote false allegations of voter fraud, it’s easy to see why handing them so much power over local election authorities is so worrying.

The greatest area of concern here for Democrats is Fulton County, home to Atlanta and a disproportionate number of Black voters. Republicans have baselessly alleged that this Democratic bastion was a major site of fraud, citing (among other things) a purported video of ballot-stuffing in the county. Though official investigations, court cases, and independent fact-checks found no evidence of such fraud — in the video or otherwise — the myth that it happened persists.

The new bill would allow Republicans to seize control of how elections are administered in Fulton County and other heavily Democratic areas, disqualifying voters and ballots as they see fit.
As for time off to vote, that varies by state, which is why a national holiday would be a good idea. It's easy enough to say that you have plenty of time to vote, unless you're working a 10 hour day or have 2 jobs, or need to take public transportation from work to home. Getting an hour off when you can drive home at any hour to your polling place which happens to have little to no lineup makes it easy for people of means to vote.
That’s the heart of my position on this issue. IF there is voting fraud issue then a nonpartisan federal commission would be required. Leaving it up to a Republican state governor trying to prevent a repeat of the ass kicking they just got this past election is not legitimate and deserves nothing but mistrust.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Cornuck wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:32 pm Then there's this (link):

This what I noted further up in the thread, and it is little different than appointing federal judges in Canada or the US. You can just as easily swap Democratic and Republican throughout your post. Unfortunately, Georgia's previous electoral system was a patchwork of regulations implemented at the County level, only adding to the confusion throughout the state. I advocate for a National level of voter regulation but moving from County to State, even if it is only clearly defined State oversight, is a step in the right direction. Counties still, unfortunately set many of their own local regs within the State framework.

There are some non-partisan measures in selecting a supervisor of election (Pg21 of the link) for the State Commission and each Party is also given a seat to whomever of their choice. The Secretary of State in a non-voting member of the Commission where as before, the Secretary of State was Chairperson of the Board. The State Commission has 3 voting members, one member, the Chair, elected by the General Assembly and one from each of the two political parties.

Your "greatest concern" with respect to Fulton County, can not come about without investigations and public hearing held in Fulton County. There are several checks and balances placed within the new law. ultimately, you need a mechanism to remove corrupt officials. The new rule require 3 votes (unanimous consent).

Absentee voting is set for 2 Saturdays and an optional 2 Sundays. An expansion of previous rules.

But the real John Crow 2.0 is is all about not having political hacks handing out water while badgering voters. though the new law includes provisions to reduce wait time to under an hour.

Amendments enacted in the current law are underlined and note, only affected sections are listed - https://www.legis.ga.gov/api/legislatio ... 022/201121

Full text can be found here - https://codes.findlaw.com/ga/title-21-elections/

You would think electors learned something when Florida lynched chad.

ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Your "greatest concern" with respect to Fulton County, can not come about without investigations and public hearing held in Fulton County
Sounds like something heard in the Court of the Queen of Diamonds
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

ukcanuck wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:09 pm
Your "greatest concern" with respect to Fulton County, can not come about without investigations and public hearing held in Fulton County
Still refusing to go to the original source.

Pathetic

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Topper wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:14 pm

Pathetic
UK ignores all facts that don't support his maniacal narratives.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

ukcanuck wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:35 am The law creates hardship and a different voting experience for one group who generally vote Democrat and who happen to be surprise surprise - black.
____
Try to focus on someday.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Strangelove wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:14 pm
Topper wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:14 pm

Pathetic
UK ignores all facts that don't support his maniacal narratives.
Maniacal narratives?

You mean like there was massive voter fraud across multiple states stealing the election from the most vilified president in... well in the history of the United States?
Last edited by ukcanuck on Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

You know what your maniacal narratives are. :drink:

(please don't kill me)
____
Try to focus on someday.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Strangelove wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:26 pm You know what your maniacal narratives are. :drink:

(btw please don't kill me)
it’s not my opinion that’s on trial as much as you would like it to be. Nay nay, once again it’s your side of the board that is being judged. So much so that Topper felt the need to deep dive the fine print of a bill that has (yet again) a lot of people pissed at the cheating and lying republicans who are once again playing fast and loose with perception and reality.

Oh it sounds so reasonable so even handed and equitable that bill and toppers explanations of it. As if describing the process in which the changes were made and how it affects the logistics involved is supposed to make it all legitimate.

Legitimate? More like three card Monty, keep your eye on the card Doc, tell me again which card says that the republicans have never tried to manipulate free and fair elections before??

This card - Holds card up? Nope sorry try again
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

ukcanuck wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:16 am In the aftermath of that, with the Republican dream team facing lawsuits, one Republican state governor brings new laws to “tighten” election security.

I get why you would not find that suspicious or ridiculous but I don’t know how you might expect anyone else to not point at the utter lack of credibility that republicans have at this point.

After stonewalling the democrats and making no apologies for it from 2012 to 2020 and 4 year of the most disingenuous president (to put it nicely) in modern history?

Fuggetaboutit
So now you’re basing your opinion on these election reforms in Georgia, which you have no issue with sharing publicly, on the level of credibility that republicans have with democratic supporters.....rather than reading the law for yourself.

And you want to talk about credibility?

That’s incredible.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Why is it the responsibility of the State to provide food and water?

The State should be on the hook for shortening the lines by adding more voting stations. But food and water?

Bring your own bottle of water.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Mëds wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:42 pm
ukcanuck wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:16 am In the aftermath of that, with the Republican dream team facing lawsuits, one Republican state governor brings new laws to “tighten” election security.

I get why you would not find that suspicious or ridiculous but I don’t know how you might expect anyone else to not point at the utter lack of credibility that republicans have at this point.

After stonewalling the democrats and making no apologies for it from 2012 to 2020 and 4 year of the most disingenuous president (to put it nicely) in modern history?

Fuggetaboutit
So now you’re basing your opinion on these election reforms in Georgia, which you have no issue with sharing publicly, on the level of credibility that republicans have with democratic supporters.....rather than reading the law for yourself.

And you want to talk about credibility?

That’s incredible.
First of its not my credibility that is at stake, I didn’t make the accusations - Biden and the Democrats, Major League Baseball, Coca Cola, and Home Depot did.

But No I didn’t go and download a PDF of the state governments bill or law, why would I need to?

I’m not trying to defend a thesis nor am I trying to defend the law, that’s Topper’s chore and duty to provide links to back his claims which has neglected to do, no doubt he expects us to do our own leg work.

What I did do is read a couple articles and listened to an editorial on YouTube. I posted the links, did you read them? Did you notice I intentionally posted a link that doesn’t entirely agree with my point of view?

Probably not hey? I think actually you started this topic a few days back. Complaining about BLM making it a racism thing?

I believe that was you ?
Last edited by ukcanuck on Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.