US Erection 12 *AND* 16 *AND* 20 *AND* 22 *AND* 24

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Re: US Erection 12 *AND* 16 *AND* 20

Post by 5thhorseman »

Topper wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:31 am A good article about it this morning. Strong thoughts that corporate taxes should be zero.

Also outlines that guts of Yellen's proposal is for extraterritorial taxation.

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/colby- ... porate-tax
Interesting article Topper.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Matthew 25:35, revised edition:

For I was hungry, and you fed me. I was thirsty, and you gave me a drink.
And, lo, they arrested you for violating Georgia election laws.

:o
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Per wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:05 am Matthew 25:35, revised edition:

It is about keeping electioneering away from polling stations. A candidate's volunteers, covered in buttons, handing out water, talking up his candidate, handing out pamphlets/sticker/buttons along with the water.

The Georgia laws are less restrictive than we have in Canada. Canada does not allow electioneering on election day. Canada does not allow voting outside of your assigned poling station.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

I guess they don’t want anyone to sell their vote for a bottle of water...
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Topper wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:05 am

It is about keeping electioneering away from polling stations. A candidate's volunteers, covered in buttons, handing out water, talking up his candidate, handing out pamphlets/sticker/buttons along with the water.

The Georgia laws are less restrictive than we have in Canada. Canada does not allow electioneering on election day. Canada does not allow voting outside of your assigned poling station.
Simple solution, set up more polls in poor areas so there aren’t lines that last all day and have the state provide water and snacks with the state logos on the packaging.

Oh wait if they did that, more democrats would be able to vote since the only poor people to vote Republican are brain damaged and they can drive that guy to the polls personally. Oh wait that’s probably illegal too. No transport to the polls because it could be electioneering

Haha 😆

What a joke
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

It really needs to be a holiday down here - let people get out and be able to spend the hours it might take to cast a simple vote.

Gerrymandering is another thing that needs to be addressed, and then list purges, mail in voting, etc until it's a level playing field for all.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

ukcanuck wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:06 am

Simple solution, set up more polls in poor areas so there aren’t lines that last all day and have the state provide water and snacks with the state logos on the packaging.

Oh wait if they did that, more democrats would be able to vote since the only poor people to vote Republican are brain damaged and they can drive that guy to the polls personally. Oh wait that’s probably illegal too. No transport to the polls because it could be electioneering

Haha 😆

What a joke
So you haven't read the Georgia voting laws. That solution is in the news laws. It mandates additional poling stations based upon wait times in line at this past election.

What a joke indeed.

Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Cornuck wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:08 am It really needs to be a holiday down here - let people get out and be able to spend the hours it might take to cast a simple vote.

Gerrymandering is another thing that needs to be addressed, and then list purges, mail in voting, etc until it's a level playing field for all.
Canadian employers are required to allow sufficient time for employees to vote.

ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Topper wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:10 am
ukcanuck wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:06 am

Haha 😆

What a joke
So you haven't read the Georgia voting laws. That solution is in the news laws. It mandates additional poling stations based upon wait times in line at this past election.

What a joke indeed.
https://www.google.ca/amp/s/amp.usatoda ... 7133587002

ARE PEOPLE BANNED FROM HANDING OUT SNACKS OR WATER TO VOTERS IN LINE?

“The new law makes it a misdemeanor to hand out “any money or gifts, including, but not limited to, food and drink” to anyone standing in line to vote. The prohibition extends 150 feet from a polling place and 25 feet from any person standing in line.

Advocates of the law say they are attempting to crack down on political organizations or advocacy groups trying to influence voters just before they cast a ballot. Critics say it’s cruel and would penalize even nonpartisan groups or individuals for something as simple as giving water to someone waiting in a long line. Democratic state Senate Minority Leader Gloria Butler slammed the proposal Thursday before the bill was signed into law, saying: “They want to make it a crime to bring Grandma some water while she’s waiting in line.”

Polling places would be able to, but not required to, set up self-serve water dispensers for voters.”
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Thank you for proving my point.

Your continued co-operation is appreciated.

ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Lol that proves your point?

That the polling station may or may not provide water ?

That’s your solution?

Whatever the law actually reads it’s a DeJure v De Facto argument.

The law says and (perhaps) intends one thing, (ReTopper’s post) the effect of the law causes another.

The law creates hardship and a different voting experience for one group who generally vote Democrat and who happen to be surprise surprise - black.

I wonder what the vote count in the house was and whether or not it was a bipartisan Bill or whether it was just to make sure the great unwashed don’t get to vote.

The joke is that anyone would ever believe a damn thing coming out of a republicans mouth
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

ukcanuck wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:35 am Lol that proves your point?

That’s your solution?

The law says and (perhaps) intends one thing, (ReTopper’s post) the effect of the law causes another.

The law creates hardship and a different voting experience for one group who generally vote Democrat and who happen to be surprise surprise - black.

I wonder what the vote count in the house was and whether or not it was a bipartisan Bill or whether it was just to make sure the great unwashed don’t get to vote.

The joke is that anyone would ever believe a damn thing coming out of a republicans mouth
Once again, proving you haven't read the law.

The law expands the dates for advance polls, expands the number of poling stations where wait time and lineups have previously been an issue.

Requires mail in ballots to be requested instead of mass mailed and curtails electioneering in the immediate vicinity of polling stations.

Pretty sensible stuff.

Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Topper wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:13 am

That’s your solution?

The law expands the dates for advance polls, expands the number of poling stations where wait time and lineups have previously been an issue.

Requires mail in ballots to be requested instead of mass mailed and curtails electioneering in the immediate vicinity of polling stations.

Pretty sensible stuff.
This is good. Now, I always get shocked reading about US elections and people having to stand in line for 5 or even 9 hours.
I realize it’s not everywhere, but I just cannot fathom how poorly organised it is.

I usually work as an election officer in Swedish elections, and I have never experienced lines that have been worse than people perhaps having to wait fifteen minutes to cast their vote. Normally there are no lines at all, and yet we tend to have 90% of eligible voters voting.

A few differences:
Elections in Sweden are always held on a Sunday, when most people are not at work.
Each polling station should serve between 1000 and 1500 voters.
Polling is open for twelve hours, so even those who do work on a Sunday shoukd find time to vote.
Roughly half the Swedish voters choose to vote in advance, this reducing the lineups.

I assume that one of the major problems in the US is that elections tend to be on a normal weekday, and so pretty much everyone shows up after work, creating those huge pileups. Well, that, and too few polling stations serving too many voters.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

The biggest issue I see with US voting is the mosaic of different rules because they are run at the State level instead of cohesive Federal regulations.

The issue I see with the Georgia laws is that it puts elected politicians in ultimate control of the Electoral Commissions for appointing Commissioners, but I'm not sure how you get around it. The do the appointments by committee and ultimately one party will have the majority on the committee. Not much different than the way they, and Canada, appoint Federal judges.

ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Topper wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:13 am

That’s your solution?

Pretty sensible stuff.
Yes proving some of us have time to read the entirety of the new laws in a state over 4000 miles away and some of us do not.

For those that do not here is a balanced report from BBC

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.bbc.com ... a-56650565

I will give you that it sounds all innocent and about tidying up loose ends the way you and the governor make it sound. But let’s not forget the context. They just lost the state to the democrats in an election with wide spread lies about election fraud from a party that could not convince any court in the land.

In the aftermath of that, with the Republican dream team facing lawsuits, one Republican state governor brings new laws to “tighten” election security.

I get why you would not find that suspicious or ridiculous but I don’t know how you might expect anyone else to not point at the utter lack of credibility that republicans have at this point.

After stonewalling the democrats and making no apologies for it from 2012 to 2020 and 4 year of the most disingenuous president (to put it nicely) in modern history?

Fuggetaboutit