Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Topper
CC Legend

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Topper »

Ted Nolan' tee pee folds in Buffalo after a successful tank.

What a resume.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
BingoTough
CC Veteran

Post by BingoTough »

Mëds wrote:If ownership/management in LA makes a change behind the bench, they are retarded.

If the story is true and the players, who were totally unable to get it done before Sutter showed up, have tuned out the coach that brought them together and guided them to a pair of Stanley Cups in 3 seasons, I think there needs to be a change made on the roster.
Letsgokings.com has an interesting thread on their offseason. They want Brown gone, think he's a big waste. One guy even calls him "Fall Down Brown". Worth a read while waiting for the season to start. TBH, it sounds a lot like CanucksCorner in terms of challenges facing the team as their core gets older.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Nicole Brown will have a meltdown of epic proportion if Dusty is traded out of LA.

:mrgreen:
BurningBeard
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by BurningBeard »

BingoTough wrote:Letsgokings.com has an interesting thread on their offseason. They want Brown gone, think he's a big waste. One guy even calls him "Fall Down Brown". Worth a read while waiting for the season to start. TBH, it sounds a lot like CanucksCorner in terms of challenges facing the team as their core gets older.
Considering how that team has played on a razor's edge over the past 3 seasons, it was inevitable that Sutter's shine would start to wear off. Full credit for everything he did, I honestly think what Sutter did in LA was amazing. It's not often that you can point to coaching as the primary reason a team is successful / wins a cup, but in this regard I think a valid argument can be made. I remember listening to talk radio shortly after he was hired. They were making fun of him for saying the Kings' dismal PP didn't matter that much. They were wondering if the Kings would make the playoffs, and if they didn't, if Lombardi would be fired in the off season for hiring Sutter as coach. Team won the cup that year.
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
Arachnid
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Arachnid »

Topper wrote:Ted Nolan' tee pee folds in Buffalo after a successful tank.

What a resume.
Tarrana bound? :D
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Mëds wrote:If ownership/management in LA makes a change behind the bench, they are retarded.

If the story is true and the players, who were totally unable to get it done before Sutter showed up, have tuned out the coach that brought them together and guided them to a pair of Stanley Cups in 3 seasons, I think there needs to be a change made on the roster.
I disagree with you. Sutter survived 2 years longer than I expected. He made the Flames over-achieve when he coached there, but burned out the players doing it. He did the same with the Kings too, but managed to keep the team buying in to the system for 3, almost 4 years before burning them out. He's a great short term coach, but he coaches an unsustainable style. He is everything Torts tried to be.

Heck, if LA lets him go, Tarana would be retarded not to pick him up, as I think he could even get their group of mongoloids into the playoffs 2 years in a row before losing the locker room there. But, I don't think he can get the current team in LA to buy back in to playing as hard and tough as they did over the last 4 years again. Those boys are feeling drained.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

I was emailing with a friend who's a Kings fan - he had this to say: "I had read recently that coach was at the edge with some players.....and that for some the summer had already started"
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Hockey Widow
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Hockey Widow »

Poor Lombardi, from the LA Times.

Lombardi said it was a "possibility" that the team could buy out the contract of center Mike Richards, whose contract runs through the 2019-20 season, carrying a cap hit of $5.75 million.

Kings defenseman Slava Voynov is facing a felony domestic violence charge and is scheduled to go on trial a few days after free agency starts July 1. He had surgery to repair a ruptured Achilles' tendon and the timetable for recovery could be around the middle of September. Foremost, however, is the legal situation.

"We're right back to where we were at the trade deadline," Lombardi said. "That's the frustrating thing that you can't plan. You want to know one way or the other. Free agency is on July 1. How good is that?

"Could we get it over here, so we know if we can do some things here? But the way this whole thing has gone this year, I guess it's emblematic of so many things that have happened this year."

The Voynov situation really did burn them this year. Getting cap relief for the year helped but they were still prevented from having a long term solution. Now the situation drags into the UFA period.

Lombardi, by the way, confirmed that the dressing room incident did happen. But, he says it happend in Feb in Tampa when the team was on a winning streak. It was more like, we got this coach, we don't need to hear from you, don't jinx us, kinda stuff.
The only HW the Canucks need
BingoTough
CC Veteran

Post by BingoTough »

Bruins fire general manager Chiarelli

Hmm. Not sure if this is fair or not. I mean he didn't deliver results in the last year, but he's had a good run of success and they just ran out of steam at the end. I would have thought he'd have a chance to respond.

Oh well.
BurningBeard
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by BurningBeard »

BingoTough wrote:Bruins fire general manager Chiarelli

Hmm. Not sure if this is fair or not. I mean he didn't deliver results in the last year, but he's had a good run of success and they just ran out of steam at the end. I would have thought he'd have a chance to respond.

Oh well.
Definitely some questionable deals near the end of his tenure that didn't look great. Definitely some contracts that don't look great, but no GM has a spotless record. I suspected Claude Julien would get the ax and Chiarelli would get another year. I think there's no doubt Julien will be gone before the regular season starts regardless.
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
BingoTough
CC Veteran

Post by BingoTough »

BurningBeard wrote:

Oh well.
Definitely some questionable deals near the end of his tenure that didn't look great. Definitely some contracts that don't look great, but no GM has a spotless record. I suspected Claude Julien would get the ax and Chiarelli would get another year. I think there's no doubt Julien will be gone before the regular season starts regardless.
Agree. I didn't like Seguin, but then that was Benning pushing that...

:wow:
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Hockey Widow wrote:Poor Lombardi, from the LA Times.
Two Cups and your saying poor lombardi? camman :D

Oh well.
Gotdamn! Tdot or as you hipsters say Tarrana, is reaping the benefits of others misfortune at a an opportune time. :eh:
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

It's been a couple of days, but I haven't seen it here yet; Jagr has signed on for one more year with the Panthers. He is currently 4th in all time scoring in the NHL, and would need another 48 points to catch Howe in third place, but he is also fifth in goal scoring and only needs another 9 to catch Dionne, or 19 to catch Brett Hull. If he scores 20 goals next season he'll be third in goals, behind only Gretzky and Howe. And then consider he spent three seasons, still in his prime, in the KHL, before returning... :?

http://insidersportsnetwork.com/panther ... -contract/
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Rumsfeld
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Rumsfeld »

Per wrote:It's been a couple of days, but I haven't seen it here yet; Jagr has signed on for one more year with the Panthers. He is currently 4th in all time scoring in the NHL, and would need another 48 points to catch Howe in third place, but he is also fifth in goal scoring and only needs another 9 to catch Dionne, or 19 to catch Brett Hull. If he scores 20 goals next season he'll be third in goals, behind only Gretzky and Howe. And then consider he spent three seasons, still in his prime, in the KHL, before returning... :?

http://insidersportsnetwork.com/panther ... -contract/
He wasn't in his prime in the KHL. Amazing player though and underrated amongst the all-time greats.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Rumsfeld wrote:
He wasn't in his prime in the KHL. Amazing player though and underrated amongst the all-time greats.
You're right, prime was a bit too much said, but he has played four seasons in the NHL since returning, and just signed on for a fifth, so he was not completely over the hill. Guess that's what I meant. :look:
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.