Trevor Linden is stepping down in VAN

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Re: Trevor Linden is stepping down in VAN

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Strangelove wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:35 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:10 pm Some of us are waiting to wait it out and see what happens and critique the moves one by one but still want the team to do well.
But you said the team is "a sinking ship". :hmmm:

And you make comments like that All. The. Time.

You know Diehard was joking about you being "the voice of reason"... right? :look:
I know a lot of things
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:59 pm
ukcanuck wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:04 am
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:11 am
RoyalDude wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:54 am Thanks to 3 silver spooned rich kids The Canucks are a GM/President graveyard. Nonis refuses to trade futures for vets Richards/Jokinen...fired! Gillis wants to do a full rebuild...fired! Linden wants to stay on the rebuild path, the Aquas say the rebuild is over....fired! We are screwed with meddling, spoiled brat as owners. In the mean time, the rich kids are still looking for their “Yes Man”.
Yeah other than spending to the cap these asshole greaseballs might be the leagues worst owners
Linden couldn’t do the job or aqualini sucks can’t be both.

I’m still not sure which one think it is.

But I’ve never bought into this idea that the Canucks were pursuing a light rebuild over a full rebuild. What does that mean anyway?
2012 when it became clear the team as it was, wasn’t good enough. All the key pieces were locked into NTCs - you know the story.
What was any GM going to do?

Any way moving forward, I seriously hope they aren’t pursuing some huge trade involving the prospects they finally have. Nor am I interested in trading what should be another high first or second.

The only card to play is to get the prospects into the line up sooner rather than later ... or not.
Yet you had no problem with the team trading away picks the past few years.... what’s changed?
At the time we had nothing, no prospects other than Horvat (whom I remember a bunch of pissed folks that we sent Cory for) A bunch of bums or guys with NTCs.

We didn’t have much choice but to use a few draft picks to get some warm bodies.

Now though we have a raft of potential players and it’s time to focus on them and keep our picks because there doesn’t seem to be a trade market anymore.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Kinda wishing for a ruthless Jim Benning right now to handle the team and make the big moves to improve the team while staying course on icing a young, hungry and talented team.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

I'm a bit surprised with this move. I thought the JB + Trev dual was going pretty good and a great combo. JB doing the drafting and managing the team while Trev being the PR guy and reporting to ownership. It's too bad Trev couldn't stick around a bit longer, one would think the tough years are behind us and with all the good young players in the organization, one would think the team is on an upward trajectory. Not really sure what caused the amicable split, but prob a mix of a meddling owner and Trev having lots of stuff on the side, so he couldn't be bothered with the BS anymore.

I'll always have a soft spot for Trev. He was a heart n soul player for us in the early 90s, Captain Canuck and a beast in that 94 playoffs. It's too bad, for whatever reason, he was never really ever able to play at that lvl again. It would have been nice having him around if our team becomes a contender again (if most of our prospects pan out). *fingers crossed* :P That being said, I thought Trev was a bit over his head when he came in. He basically relied on JB, who seemed to make most of the decisions. Most guys (Yzerman, Sakic, Blake, etc) worked in the front office for a bit to gain much valuable experience and cut their teeth before becoming the prez/GM; Trev had zero hockey mgmt experience when he came in and previously was more interested in selling glasses, developing real estate and making fitness clubs.

Couple thoughts:

a) Who does Aqua-man think he is, Donald Trump? What's with the twitter thing? It'd be nice to see him hold a press conference, speaks directly to the fans/ticket holders and field some tough questions from the media.

b) I'm a bit surprised if JB and Trev didn't see eye to eye. JB was Trev's guy as Trev handpicked him for the job. If anything, I thought JB would go b4 Trev. It'd be kind of funny if a new prez comes in and wants to bring in his own guy. It'll be Burkie/Keenan and Trev/Torts all over again. *LOL*
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Hey, look; No disrespect to Trevor whatsoever. Honest, hard working player and from anything I've ever heard, a good captain.
When ownership hired him, I said this is a desperate move to try and quell the discontent of the fans with a name they would connect to.
Linden had, at that point distanced himself from the game and obviously was involved otherwise as we all know.
I assume Benning was Trevor's idea, (not Aquilini's), I don't think? Whatever the case, he had the friendship with Cam Nealy to get it done.

Linden has other interests and he will be fine. Hopefully any hard feelings will dissipate over time.
The fact is, they miserably screwed up in regards to how the chain of command should have worked.
We here, are an educated bunch, right?
We know our hockey history right?
So I'm wondering who in this organisation would have been more sympathetic when it came to a player's need, (want), for term and money?
You know where I'm going with this. Once you have fought, and fought diligently for something, it's my considered opinion,
it never leaves your inner self.
This was inevitable the way it was structured.
I wont agree with every single move Benning makes. I don't think anyone will. No such thing as perfection, (and no, a snowflake isn't perfect).
I am confident he is putting a Stanley Cup contending team together.
There may well be a wee bit more house cleaning done in the non playing personnel area but other than that, we're good. :arrow: :drink: silver.
"evolution"
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Apparently Trevl Lindl wanted Hughes to go back to College. I wonder if Aqualino and Jimbro Genius felt differently, wanting to sign Hughes now?

Elliot Freidman is a con salesmen. Can’t stand his shite talking
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

RoyalDude wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:54 am Thanks to 3 silver spooned rich kids The Canucks are a GM/President graveyard. Nonis refuses to trade futures for vets Richards/Jokinen...fired! Gillis wants to do a full rebuild...fired! Linden wants to stay on the rebuild path, the Aquas say the rebuild is over....fired! We are screwed with meddling, spoiled brat as owners. In the mean time, the rich kids are still looking for their “Yes Man”.
Yes, more of this content please, hook it to my veins

Everything is awful and you know it RD
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

micky107 wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:55 am Hey, look; No disrespect to Trevor whatsoever. Honest, hard working player and from anything I've ever heard, a good captain.
When ownership hired him, I said this is a desperate move to try and quell the discontent of the fans with a name they would connect to.
Linden had, at that point distanced himself from the game and obviously was involved otherwise as we all know.
I assume Benning was Trevor's idea, (not Aquilini's), I don't think? Whatever the case, he had the friendship with Cam Nealy to get it done.

Linden has other interests and he will be fine. Hopefully any hard feelings will dissipate over time.
The fact is, they miserably screwed up in regards to how the chain of command should have worked.
So I'm wondering who in this organisation would have been more sympathetic when it came to a player's need, (want), for term and money?
You know where I'm going with this. Once you have fought, and fought diligently for something, it's my considered opinion,
I wont agree with every single move Benning makes. I don't think anyone will. No such thing as perfection, (and no, a snowflake isn't perfect).
There may well be a wee bit more house cleaning done in the non playing personnel area but other than that, we're good. :arrow: :drink: silver.
Did you fall off another roof?
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

dbr wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:57 am

Hey you are back, please stay and bring some sanity to this place.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:02 am
micky107 wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:55 am Hey, look; No disrespect to Trevor whatsoever. Honest, hard working player and from anything I've ever heard, a good captain.

Did you fall off another roof?
:lol:
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

:stupid:
"evolution"
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Reefer2 wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:10 am
dbr wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:57 am

Hey you are back, please stay and bring some sanity to this place.
Interpretation: Reef needs a daddy to protect him from the jailhouse rape gangs...you'll always have smokes and a shaved ass waiting whenever you need it
If you need air...call it in
Fifty Fifty
CC Rookie

Post by Fifty Fifty »

Hockey Widow wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:48 pm
Uncle dans leg wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:15 pm
Richardstroker69 wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:14 pmthe rumour that he was going around the draft asking other teams opinions on how to rebuild a team (talk about out of your depth if you think opposing teams are gonna help you) just goes to show how he needed to be punted.
:?:

Serious? Where was this rumour? That sounds pretty far fetched

You guys make it sound like he was a child. GMs /presidents talk all the time. What’s wrong with him discussing this with his colleagues? My take, the rift between he and ownership was there before the draft. Trevor had a vision and was doing his due diligence by discussing various takes on a rebuild. Trying to find validation for his approach.
I think you are being overly charitable. Sure, it makes sense to do that, but he was doing it 4 years into his deal. Real due diligence would also involve performing an objective analysis of the moves that the successful teams have made and how they have developed their prospects and that should have been done long before the last draft. It suggests that, whatever vision Linden had has only appeared to him recently.
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

I look forward to some serious summer news coming outta the Rog that is actually hockey related.

It'll boost morale for training camp, and put this nonsense behind us.

Tick tock Jim, you're on the clock.
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

I don’t think much will happen over the rest of the summer. Trade market seems dead. I expect the roster is pretty well set for the new season now that everyone is signed, though they’ll be some competition for jobs at training camp. Hopefully the kids win jobs and a vet or two is waived if there is no market to trade them. The team will try to make the playoffs until they see where they stand near the trade deadline when the trade market should open up a bit. If they are out of it, more vets will be shipped out. If they are close to being in the playoffs they will definitely go for it, and may add a vet or two. There’ll be no purposeful tanking with Benning, not that there ever was.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.