Trevor Linden is stepping down in VAN

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

SKYO
MVP
MVP

Re: Trevor Linden is stepping down in VAN

Post by SKYO »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:53 am
SKYO wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:44 am
Elliotte:

Hearing Dean Lombardi is a serious contender for open job in VAN.

We’ll see where it goes.
Whoa bringing in the big guns to help build this team, would love to have Lombardi join the hockey mind crew, would definitely help in the trade calls, Lombardi built that Cup team in LA, even though he didn't have the mindset to keep that longevity going, but all we'd need him for is to help facilitate the big hard trades to get the pieces needed to complete a fully contending team.

:thumbs:
Whats the bet he takes over for JB in 2 years or less...if he climbs aboard
If the team is winning by then, (which it probably will be), all will stay, it's all about winning pretty quick, just need to figure out the pieces to swap in and out to get the right formula of skill sets to complete this VOLTRON.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

That’s interesting HW. If the disagreement is more between Linden and Benning than Linden and ownership, I speculate the team will get younger faster now, and most of the placeholders will be moved before this season is over. The rebuild continues.

If the disagreement were between Linden and ownership, I speculate that more older “win now” players will be traded for and as far as the organization is concerned the rebuild is over.

We’ll have to wait and see how it plays out.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Was Trev better at managing a gym or a Jim?

I was never a fan of the hire of Linden. To me it was a PR move to appease the fans in the coming turbulent years and at that he failed miserably.

The prez job is to make sure there are butts in seats, Trev's low key demeanour was wrong for creating excitement and ticket sales when on ice product wouldn't be generating much. A few here have long seen the plan in place. Genius Jim's message has been consistent. Trev was never able to convincingly convey it to the masses.

Adios. Help a little old lady cross the street on your way out.
Last edited by Topper on Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

Cherry Picker wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:04 pm That’s interesting HW. If the disagreement is more between Linden and Benning than Linden and ownership, I speculate the team will get younger faster now, and most of the placeholders will be moved before this season is over. The rebuild continues.

If the disagreement were between Linden and ownership, I speculate that more older “win now” players will be traded for and as far as the organization is concerned the rebuild is over.

The fact Benning has been running the show (reporting straight to ownership) since being re-signed, shows linden has been taken out of the equation, since February it’s been Jim’s, Travis, Weisbrod, and Judd’s team. In fact I’d go so far as to say once Willie was punted linden was more of a mouthpiece, the rumour that he was going around the draft asking other teams opinions on how to rebuild a team (talk about out of your depth if you think opposing teams are gonna help you) just goes to show how he needed to be punted.
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

Cherry Picker wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:04 pm That’s interesting HW. If the disagreement is more between Linden and Benning than Linden and ownership, I speculate the team will get younger faster now, and most of the placeholders will be moved before this season is over. The rebuild continues.

And if the disagreement was between Linden and Benning, perhaps the "meddling" was not the owners, but Linden handicapping Benning's decisionmaking.

As for the speculation, I don't see any players on the team who are interfering with the development of the next core. They aren't there to win now -- though they are there to protect not-yet-developed prospects and put a better-than-AHL product on the ice.
Hono_rary Canadian
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

SKYO wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:00 pm
Uncle dans leg wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:53 am
SKYO wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:44 am
Elliotte:

Hearing Dean Lombardi is a serious contender for open job in VAN.

We’ll see where it goes.
Whoa bringing in the big guns to help build this team, would love to have Lombardi join the hockey mind crew, would definitely help in the trade calls, Lombardi built that Cup team in LA, even though he didn't have the mindset to keep that longevity going, but all we'd need him for is to help facilitate the big hard trades to get the pieces needed to complete a fully contending team.

:thumbs:
Whats the bet he takes over for JB in 2 years or less...if he climbs aboard
If the team is winning by then, (which it probably will be), all will stay, it's all about winning pretty quick, just need to figure out the pieces to swap in and out to get the right formula of skill sets to complete this VOLTRON.
posting.php?mode=quote&f=2&p=311172

That pesky Elliotte keeps pestering me for info. :mrgreen:
"evolution"
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Former Canuck Proust sounding off. Sayine one down one to go. He is taking a lot of heat on twitter.

Bertuzzi saying he imagined linden found being prez harder than playing hockey. Said Canucks need a Ken Holland type.

BB not surprised but is a little shocked.
The only HW the Canucks need
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

Hockey Widow wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:54 pm Former Canuck Proust sounding off. Sayine one down one to go. He is taking a lot of heat on twitter.

Bertuzzi saying he imagined linden found being prez harder than playing hockey. Said Canucks need a Ken Holland type.

Prust is such a clown, hopefully his “famous” wife is able to keep him coked up cause I can’t imagine he’ll have much work opportunities in the league after mouthing off like a clown. Who’s B.B.?
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

lol Burke saying Aquilini's wouldn't hire him.
Sportsnet 650:

Brian Burke, asked if he'd be interested in becoming President in Vancouver: "No. I'm out. First of all, the Aquilini family wouldn't hire me. They're no fans of mine. Secondly, I promised my daughters I'm getting out. I'm a broadcaster now, and happy to be one."
&
Brian Burke: "I wasn't surprised, as I'd heard some rumblings about this last week. I went fishing last week and bumped into a Canucks employee who mentioned this might be happening.
Oh someone leaked it to BB, but this was being planned for a little bit.

Anyways hiring Lombardi seems like a sound and logical plan that any rebuilding team should do.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Richardstroker69 wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:01 pm
Hockey Widow wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:54 pm Former Canuck Proust sounding off. Sayine one down one to go. He is taking a lot of heat on twitter.

Prust is such a clown, hopefully his “famous” wife is able to keep him coked up cause I can’t imagine he’ll have much work opportunities in the league after mouthing off like a clown. Who’s B.B.?
Bad hair day.
"evolution"
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Richardstroker69 wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:14 pmthe rumour that he was going around the draft asking other teams opinions on how to rebuild a team (talk about out of your depth if you think opposing teams are gonna help you) just goes to show how he needed to be punted.
:?:

Serious? Where was this rumour? That sounds pretty far fetched
If you need air...call it in
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:15 pm
Richardstroker69 wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:14 pmthe rumour that he was going around the draft asking other teams opinions on how to rebuild a team (talk about out of your depth if you think opposing teams are gonna help you) just goes to show how he needed to be punted.
:?:

Serious? Where was this rumour? That sounds pretty far fetched
Check page 3 of this thread dude. According to HW, it was Fried Man who reported it. Yeah, sounded pretty amateurish to me as well.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Thx. Must've missed that.

Ya thats chicken shit and could be why he got gunned right there
If you need air...call it in
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP