Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Option A - the teams around us in the western conference improve so much it puts us in the running for Nolan Patrick, Comtios, Vilardi, Tippett, Mittlestat, Kostin, or one of those two Finns. No defence please

Option B - teams around us still suck and we are in the running for a playoff birth
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Rayxor
CC Veteran

Post by Rayxor »

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Rayxor wrote:Shinkaruk heading back to the AHL.

https://twitter.com/AAVickers/status/784801119880957952
The Mike Gillis Orgy Love In otherwise known as The Canucks HFBoards crew must be madly spin doctoring this right now, in complete damage control!0
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Hockey Widow
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Hockey Widow »

Vey cleared waivers too!

Corrado next?
The only HW the Canucks need
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Hockey Widow wrote:Vey cleared waivers too!

Corrado next?
Oh, shit. That frightens me.

J/K :)
"evolution"
Hockey Widow
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Hockey Widow »

Crosby out indefinitely with a concussion suffered yesterday in practice.
Lancer
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Lancer »

Hockey Widow wrote:Crosby out indefinitely with a concussion suffered yesterday in practice.
Good thing I didn't pick him in my pool!
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Strangelove wrote:
Mëds wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Mëds this team needs more than the Biter and Miller off the books next year.
Bo and Gudbranson could eat up the lion share of that $10.5M in a real hurry if they have even halfway decent seasons.

Gudbranson is our ONLY big, physical, NHL proven, defenseman. He's a legit top-4. If he improves at all in more of a two-way role than he had in Florida $5M is the minimum we are paying him.

Bo had a 40 point sophomore season playing way over his head because of injuries to other players. If Horvat takes another step forward in his development he could easily be staring down 20+ goals and 50 points.

Sean Monahan over in Calgary is another young 2-way center, albeit Monahan has a stronger offensive component to his game, but he also played with Gaudreau and Hudler, was 2nd on the team in PP/TOI, and averaged 48 seconds of PK time per game.....he scored 63 points playing first line and first unit minutes with a pair of scoring wingers. He also saw over 19 minutes of TOI per game.

Bo led Canuck forwards in PK time, by a country mile. He played with developing wingers, and got half the PP time that Monahan saw. His zone starts were far more heavily weighted in the defensive zone, he hit almost twice as much, and blocked more too.

Monahan just finished his ELC and inked over $6M per for 6 years. If Horvat hits 50 points playing with 3rd line calibre wingers, there is no way that Benning can sign him for less than $5M.

Blob is totally right about us having some boat anchors tied to players who are being paid 25% more than they should be.
First off, aren't you one of the whiners who complain about a bleak future?

... and that Benning sucks in every way humanly possible?
No. I'm not. I don't like the contract he gave Sbisa AFTER we saw what we had there. I didn't like the contract he gave Dorsett, thought it was a 25% over-payment. I think Sutter's contract and NTC is going to hurt us down the line, hope I'm wrong, I wasn't against the trade for him, just didn't like the extension. I also didn't like the trade for Prust, but that's because I liked Kassian, and I still think that's a trade that the Canucks are the losers of.

Initially I was a big fan of Benning, and I still think he's got the chops to be a good GM for us. I will take him over MG any day of the week. I have just never been really sold on his contract work. I only see one trade that looks bad.

Go look, you're good at that.
Yet now you're suggesting Benning added a young top-pairing dee for a mere suspect-prospect + a 2nd

... that he kept the right young centre who you suggest will deserve the 40th-highest NHL centre cap-hit

... at the ripe old age of 22? :scowl:

If these two players deserve $5M each next summer, you should kiss Lord Benning's ass!
Ummm, where am I complaining about that? I hope they both deserve those contracts! I'm not going to complain if Bo turns into a 60 point scoring 2-way pivot at 22 years old! And if Gudbranson proves worthy of that kind of cash, then our blueline is clearly far better than it was the past 2 seasons.
Secondly, you're wrong about how much they'll get next year and I'm willing to bet on that.

(Guds won't get more than Tanev, and Bo will get a bridge contract)
Bo quite likely will get a bridge deal, I was talking about the possibilities of what he might get.

If Gudbranson proves to be as responsible and smart as Tanev, he absolutely should get more based on the fact that he is also much more physical, and a greater deterrent to the big teams that like to steamroll our goalies. Tanev doesn't scare anyone, and he hasn't shown any offensive chops yet. To limit someone's ceiling just because you have a guy currently playing top pairing is a terrible way to build. IF Guds is worth it, then pay him and give him the minutes.
Thirdly, the correct math would be $5M + $5M - $4.394166M = $5.605834M

(Guds cap-hit right now $3.5M + Bo's cap-hit $894,166 = $4.394166M)

Meaning, even if you're right about $5M each, the extra cap-hit would only be $5.605834M (not $10M).
Quite right. I didn't consider that.
Meaning even if you're right about $5M each, there would be PLENTY of cap-space left over.

Miller $6M + Burrows $4.5M coming off the books, replaced by guys like Demko $.925M + Etem ~$.800M...
And if Demko isn't ready, and Markstrom can't handle 50+ games, then I will bet that Miller is extended for 2 years.....and he won't come cheaper than $4M.

I just don't think we are going to have LOTS of cap room.
(Blob says Sutter/Dorsett are overpaid by a mere $500K each and that only Sbisa is massively overpaid)

(I disagree with Blob, especially about Sutter who was a great re-signing)

Seriously, when you get this bitter about your Cupless team, it's time to cut bait imesho...
Sutter may or may not be overpaid. I do think he's been given too much term though. The fact that he was given a full NTC makes me think he should have seen $500K less.

Sbisa is at least $1M overpaid.

Who's bitter? Calling a spade a spade isn't necessarily bitterness.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Mëds wrote:And if Demko isn't ready, and Markstrom can't handle 50+ games, then I will bet that Miller is extended for 2 years.....and he won't come cheaper than $4M.

Sutter may or may not be overpaid. I do think he's been given too much term though. The fact that he was given a full NTC makes me think he should have seen $500K less.
We can't afford Miller next year even at $4m per, so he'll go to another cali team to be closer to wifey.
We can sign a dirt cheap backup july 1st if Demko isn't ready.

Sutter has a M-NTC after 3 years (15 teams not traded to, so 16 teams avail to), making him easier to trade if the team decides to move on from him.

After the first preseason game Sutter has playing pretty good though.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Hockey Widow
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Hockey Widow »

If Demko isn't ready we do have Bachman who can step up as a back up worst case. Although depending upon how Miller and Marskstrom play this year I can envision a one year extension for Miller if he can't get a gig closer to him. With either LA, SJS or the Ducks it would have to be as a back up for back up money. That leaves Las Vegas or Arizona. Arizona doesn't need him. Las Vegas could be a fit.

But I wouldn't rule out a Miller extension but at Markstrom type of money.
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Johnny Gaudreau signed for 6 years, $6.75/year, according to Bob Mckenzie. A full million less than I expected.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Tciso wrote:Johnny Gaudreau signed for 6 years, $6.75/year, according to Bob Mckenzie. A full million less than I expected.
New precedent for 'all-star' nhl players after their ELC? used to be 6x6 set by alllllll the Oilers 1st overalls and forsberg.

Be interesting if Kucherov is next for that.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Mëds wrote:
Strangelove wrote:
First off, aren't you one of the whiners who complain about a bleak future?

... and that Benning sucks in every way humanly possible?
No. I'm not.
Oh, good to know, my apologies good sir!
Mëds wrote: I don't like the contract he gave Sbisa AFTER we saw what we had there.
Unfortunately it was either overpay Sbisa or let him walk (thanks to the his previous contract).

I guess Benning figured we didn't have the depth to let just him walk.

Also Benning must've figured Sbisa is a good placeholder/mentor for the transition.

Do we need to spend to the cap with every contract being great bang-for-the-buck during a transition?

It's only a 3-year deal and management has made it clear they're focused on the future.

(yes, while hopefully "competing" in the interim)
Mëds wrote: I didn't like the contract he gave Dorsett, thought it was a 25% over-payment.
Well even if you're right, that's only $600K, look at the other great contracts I've pointed too...
Mëds wrote: I think Sutter's contract and NTC is going to hurt us down the line, hope I'm wrong, I wasn't against the trade for him, just didn't like the extension.
"down the line"??

You keep saying this and I keep telling you it's not full NTC "down the line".
Mëds wrote: I also didn't like the trade for Prust, but that's because I liked Kassian, and I still think that's a trade that the Canucks are the losers of.
Kassian subsequently went unclaimed on waivers.

Prust looked like he had one more good year in him (until that brutal ankle injury).

One year later, Kassian is lucky to have a contract (took a pay-cut) and Prust looks done.

Seems ludicrous to whine about this trade, Benning had to get Kassian away from the kids...
Mëds wrote:
Strangelove wrote: Thirdly, the correct math would be $5M + $5M - $4.394166M = $5.605834M

(Guds cap-hit right now $3.5M + Bo's cap-hit $894,166 = $4.394166M)

Meaning, even if you're right about $5M each, the extra cap-hit would only be $5.605834M (not $10M).
Quite right. I didn't consider that.
Good form ole boy, takes a 6'7" man to admit he's wrong! :D

That's an extra $4.4M in cap-space you hadn't considered.

And cap-space is what this present discussion is all about...
Mëds wrote: And if Demko isn't ready, and Markstrom can't handle 50+ games, then I will bet that Miller is extended for 2 years.....and he won't come cheaper than $4M.

I just don't think we are going to have LOTS of cap room.
If Markstrom turns out to be merely a 1A goalie, we're not going to spend $4M on a 1B.

We have some good goalies in the system on cheap contracts...
Mëds wrote: Sutter may or may not be overpaid. I do think he's been given too much term though. The fact that he was given a full NTC makes me think he should have seen $500K less.
Again, it's not a full NTC "down the line".
Mëds wrote: Who's bitter? Calling a spade a spade isn't necessarily bitterness.
Well I've already apologized for lumping you in with Lumpy (aka Blob).

Although you do seem just a tad bitter. :wink:

Perhaps "jaded" would be a better word...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Strangelove wrote: Kassian subsequently went unclaimed on waivers.

Prust looked like he had one more good year in him (until that brutal ankle injury).

One year later, Kassian is lucky to have a contract (took a pay-cut) and Prust looks done.

Seems ludicrous to whine about this trade, Benning had to get Kassian away from the kids...
Yeah, like I said, I liked Kassian, I understood the trade, just didn't like it.

And if we hadn't given up the 5th we still would have been looking at a trade that saw us get a player who played 35 games for us and registered 7 points. The guy we gave up didn't even get a sniff of NHL ice until he had been waived and then traded to Edmonton.....he still put up 8 points in 36 games.

This was just a case of Benning seeing this as addition by subtraction.....I'm not buying that here. Prust's situation here and subsequent dismissal to Utica didn't do much for the organization.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Mëds wrote: This was just a case of Benning seeing this as addition by subtraction.....I'm not buying that here.
Well you should buy it.

He went unclaimed on waivers, end of story.

After a year of trying to trade him, Yakupov got a 3rd, welcome to the real world.

Prust would have likely given us a great year if not for that injury, just the way she goes...
____
Try to focus on someday.