CC Random thread

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

BCExpat
MVP
MVP

Re: CC Random thread

Post by BCExpat »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:41 pm I don't shoot moose ffs. I feed them and the deer

They're pets

I also have a fox
I'm just fuckin' around. I wouldn't shoot a moose either, but I definitely wouldn't want them around my place - they are dangerous. We have deer, fox and coyotes around our place all the time. The only thing I shoot are the gophers. I have them under control this year.

The only time you would probably shoot deer or moose is if they got into your weed garden :lol:
Whale Oil Beef Hooked
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it" - Yogi Berra
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

5thhorseman wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 1:25 pm My puppy is alright. The symptoms wore off by the end of the day so it was probably something she nibbled on that morning.
Glad to hear. Sadly, the same is not true here. :(

My 15-yo puppy showed similar symptoms. He was happy go lucky on Wednesday. We met some new dogs on our afternoon walk and he greeted them with a wagging tail, had a few sniffs and even made some play moves, skipping about a bit. Then he was clearly distressed at night. Woke me up at 1.30 am, but seemingly just wanting a drink. Then again at 3.30, at which point I went up and took him for a brief walk. He didn't really seem to know what he wanted, but he walked by himself and lifted his leg three or four times on the County Council lawn across the street with the "No dogs allowed" sign. Nearly lost his balance once, but I figured he was just as groggy as I was at 3.30 am. Then he woke me up again at 5 am, and now his right front paw was not functioning. It turned backways when he tried to walk, and he stumbled. It didn't hurt, because he didn't attempt to do the three legged skip thing dogs tend to do when a paw hurts. He insisted on trying to walk on all four, despite that one leg clearly did not give any support. I called the vet as soon as they opened and got an appointment at 9.20. He now insisted on sitting in my lap and got quite upset whenever I left the room to get coffee, get dressed, whatever. I picked him up and took him to the car. Carried him into the vet's office and when they asked me to put him on the scales, it turned out his left front leg had stopped working too, so he tipped over. :(

The vet examined him and decided it was something neurological. Most likely a stroke or a tumor in the brain or spine. The options were basically to either have him transported to an animal hospital (at least one hours drive) for an MRT to get a more exact diagnosis and plan for treatment, to have him put down or to just give him a cortisone shot, wait 24 hours and see if it had any effect.

The first idea seemed far fetched. A fifteen year old dog with a stroke or brain tumor will not get fixed. Even if they manage to save his life, his life won't be worth living. And the cortisone shot would be a Hail Mary strategy that most likely would have no effect, and he would just have to endure 24 hours of confusion, shame and deterioration before being put down anyway, so I did what had to be done and returned home alone. Almost exactly one year after I was admitted to the ICU, 366 days. Barely eleven months since my wife died.

Sirius, my pooch, was invaluable for me in the year since my wife died. True unconditional love. Always happy. Helped me complete my 10,000 steps every day to get back in shape. And I did not have to feel alone when he was around. I mean, especially during the pandemic, I have been working from home and hardly been seeing anyone. But he was there. And now he is not.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Wow, it's really been a bad year for you Per. Sorry to hear about your dog. It sounds like he knew something was seriously wrong too.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

The curse of owning a dog is their short lifespans. At least he was there for you during the darkest of times.
If you need air...call it in
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

geez per that is tragic, sorry for your loss. :/
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
JelloPuddingPop
MVP
MVP

Post by JelloPuddingPop »

Hey Per, that is a tough one - really sorry for your loss. Wife and I don't have any kids, but a very loved 9 year young staffy. Can't imagine life without either. Take care.
JelloPuddingPop
MVP
MVP

Post by JelloPuddingPop »

BCExpat wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:12 pm
I'm just fuckin' around. I wouldn't shoot a moose either, but I definitely wouldn't want them around my place - they are dangerous. We have deer, fox and coyotes around our place all the time. The only thing I shoot are the gophers. I have them under control this year.

The only time you would probably shoot deer or moose is if they got into your weed garden :lol:
Yep, don't underestimate the moose. We have a local bull that keeps the grizzly away. Not sure which is better...
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

JelloPuddingPop wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:37 am
BCExpat wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:12 pm

Yep, don't underestimate the moose. We have a local bull that keeps the grizzly away. Not sure which is better...
A bull is better than a cow living nearby. Fuck do they get angry lol
If you need air...call it in
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Sorry to hear Per, we lost one a little over a year ago. Never easy!

To the rest of ya, Moose are delicious BTW. So Cuz, at this range of yours do you just shoot for fun?
BCExpat
MVP
MVP

Post by BCExpat »

Sorry to hear about your dog Per. They are truly man's best friend.
Whale Oil Beef Hooked
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it" - Yogi Berra
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Tough sledding these past 12 months Per.

Just know the lads at CC are here for you to help keep you from the edge of the cliff.
DeLevering since 1999.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Sorry to hear Per. It’s been a rough year for it seems. You should probably go out and get another dog and maybe a cat fairly soon. Being alone is the shits.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

5thhorseman wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 1:25 pm That's interesting Blob. There's a slight chance your English Lab is related to mine, as he was a stud in his younger days before he had to be given up which is how we got him. Good dogs, albeit a little food-obsessed.
Hard to say. Our guy is a yellow, but he’s a Dudley. We got him out in Langley. His litter and one before were a breeders no-no. His mom is a chocolate-beautiful dog. His dad was a big handsome yellow. You aren’t supposed to breed those two colours as any yellow offspring often end up with pink feet and brown noses. The noses are supposed to be black on a yellow lab. So they can’t be shown. Not like I give a fuck but it’s interesting. Blacks with blacks, blacks with yellows, yellows with yellows, blacks with chocolates, chocolates with chocolates- all good.

He’s a wonderful dog. Not a mean bone in his body. Not much of a guard dog, but that’s ok.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Ah, then not related. Mine was a chocolate. That's interesting about the combinations, never knew that.

True they're not much of a guard dog. More likely to welcome an intruder and then lick him to death.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

5thhorseman wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:26 am That's interesting about the combinations, never knew that.
Same here. Had a Chocolate before. My current black lab, I found starving on a dirt road in the middle of nowhere - 11lbs at about 3 months. Healthy, happy guy now - and pretends to be a guard dog.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."