Topper's Grilling Advice!

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Topper's Grilling Advice!

Post by Cornuck »

Years ago when our propane grill died, we started using a little Weber grill and haven't looked back. Size matters - like if you want to cook a roast off the heat, or have a 2nd level for smaller things.

Edit - and get a chimney to start it all (necessity)
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:16 pm
Cornuck wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:09 pm There's a lot of really expensive ones out there now, but really you just need something big enough to hold the food you might one day cook for a group of friends.
I use a mix of wood and charcoal - rarely 'briquettes' unless that's all I can find in a pinch. Get a good, heavy duty cover and it will last you a while.
So like a Weber Grill and just use your own fuel? I’ve been on the propane train for 20 odd years now. I’m new to this old blue collar cooking.
Depends what u want to spend. The 22.5 weber master touch is around 200-250 but stands alone with no sideboard. All the best controls but u need a table close by
I have the performer which is the same kettle part but gas assist lighter and a huge metal side table. Brand new its about 550. I dont use the gas assist at all i use a 20 dollar ghettomart chimney starter and its just as good.

Big green egg, traeger, weber summit, komodo joe are all 800 to 1500 bucks and are no better than what i have IMO

Best bang for buck weber master touch
If you need air...call it in
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:48 pm Big green egg, traeger, weber summit, komodo joe are all 800 to 1500 bucks and are no better than what i have IMO
Yep - I would rather take that money and spend it on good meat. It's fire, smoke and food. Once you take propane out of the question, you can't go wrong.

A shelf is nice, like wiz says - Mine holds a large plate, but of course, since I'm in Nebraska I have the obligatory large wooden cable reel next to the grill. ;)
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Lump coal burns hotter, good for searing steaks and what-not. Royal oak classic is good basic lower and longer burning briquette, of the cheapies. Go to a specialty store and you can pay for exotic shit if u want.

I have apple chunks and maple chips i use to steer the flavour. Indirect everything including burgers with a sear at the end to set sauces.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Damn. End of a fine run. John Bishop is a true gentleman and ran a terrific restaurant with an always top flight crew in the front of the house and a great team in the kitchen. One of the best run operations I ever visited.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british- ... -1.5484242
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Heres one you probably are all familiar with but if not...enjoy. This doesnt get any easier and it is real good. Goes well with a night on the piss

Lazy Wisconsin style Beer Brats

I use Johnsonville Original Bratwurst. I'm sure there is better but these ones are consistent, readily available and good.

2 pkgs Johnsonville Brats
2 medium sized onions cut into strips lengthwise
2 bottles of beer
1/4 pkg butter
1 bag of good quality Sausage buns
1 foil 9x12 lasagna style high sided tray thing.

Use a charcoal grill for fucks sake. Propane is for fags

In the foil pan over direct heat- 2 beers, 2 onions, the butter, the brats

Simmer for 30 minutes

remove the brats from the beer bath and grill over direct heat for 5 minutes max turning frequently until they look good

place back into the beer bath and simmer over indirect heat for another 10 minutes.

Thats it.

Put them into decent buns, top with the onions and some good mustard. People will vacuum the whole shiteroo up guaranteed

You can leave the brats in the bath in the grill for easy an hour or more without drying out or losing anything. The beer/butter bath will reduce a bit to a glaze the longer they sit but thats still fucking delicious
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:53 am Heres one you probably are all familiar with but if not...enjoy. This doesnt get any easier and it is real good. Goes well with a night on the piss

Lazy Wisconsin style Beer Brats

I use Johnsonville Original Bratwurst. I'm sure there is better but these ones are consistent, readily available and good.

2 pkgs Johnsonville Brats
2 medium sized onions cut into strips lengthwise
2 bottles of beer
1/4 pkg butter
1 bag of good quality Sausage buns
1 foil 9x12 lasagna style high sided tray thing.

Use a charcoal grill for fucks sake. Propane is for fags
I love how PC you are TBW. So refreshing in this day in age! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Topper you ever make fresh pasta noodles from scratch?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:36 pm
Easy, 1c flour, 1 egg, mix with your hand in a bowl until it comes together, (may need a few drops of water) wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1/2 hour. Pull off egg size pieces to roll out.

Roll on widest setting, fold in half roll again, repeat until dough gets enough elasticity that an air bubble gets trapped and farts through the roller. Then drop two settings and roll, dropping two settings each roll.

If the dough is sticky, dust with flour. Once rolled and cut dust with flour and toss into a loose pile.

Cooking only takes a few minutes in boiling water. Texture is much softer than dried pasta.

Try finely chopped thyme and lemon zest in the dough or for something dramatic, squid ink.

In the restaurant I made pansotti (round ravioli), crab and tomato with duck stock as a sauce, beef short rib with red wine reduced to a paste and walnut presto, cod and cauliflower with oregano cream

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Topper wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:01 am
Chef Boi RD wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:36 pm
Easy, 1c flour, 1 egg, mix with your hand in a bowl until it comes together, (may need a few drops of water) wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1/2 hour. Pull off egg size pieces to roll out.

Roll on widest setting, fold in half roll again, repeat until dough gets enough elasticity that an air bubble gets trapped and farts through the roller. Then drop two settings and roll, dropping two settings each roll.

If the dough is sticky, dust with flour. Once rolled and cut dust with flour and toss into a loose pile.

Cooking only takes a few minutes in boiling water. Texture is much softer than dried pasta.

Try finely chopped thyme and lemon zest in the dough or for something dramatic, squid ink.

In the restaurant I made pansotti (round ravioli), crab and tomato with duck stock as a sauce, beef short rib with red wine reduced to a paste and walnut presto, cod and cauliflower with oregano cream
Nice! Thanks

I bought a pasta machine, made fettuccine with it using durum 00. I gather the 00 means fineness of the flour. I mixed it with eggs, turned out well. Went to buy more flour at an Italian market and the lady told me to try semolina flour. So I bought it, she says no eggs required with semolina, just water
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

In the restaurant we used 50/50 all purpose/semolina

Use egg and only enough water to get it to come together in a ball. Don't over work it.

Though at one point we couldn't figure out what the new sous chef had done on my day off.....finally realized he made 50/50 all purpose/corn meal.

As the chef noted to me one day "don't mind him, he's from Barcelona"

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Topper wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:22 pm In the restaurant we used 50/50 all purpose/semolina

Use egg and only enough water to get it to come together in a ball. Don't over work it.

Though at one point we couldn't figure out what the new sous chef had done on my day off.....finally realized he made 50/50 all purpose/corn meal.

As the chef noted to me one day "don't mind him, he's from Barcelona"
What does the 50/50 do? Is it better than 100% of one? I’ve seen on-line people going with the 50/50 you suggest? BTW what exactly is semolina?
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Semolina and duram are the same thing. Adding AP will make a lighter dough and softer pasta.

I prefer using 100% all purpose to heighten the contrast between fresh and dried pasta

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Topper wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:34 pm Semolina and duram are the same thing. Adding AP will make a lighter dough and softer pasta.

I prefer using 100% all purpose to heighten the contrast between fresh and dried pasta
The lady where I bought the semolina says I only need to add water with semolina, no eggs??? Is she out to lunch?
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

semolina is higher than most flours in protein, still not the difference between an egg and water. Use egg, a little water if need be.