We're All Doomed!™ (the Conquest, War, Famine, and Death Thread)

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Topper
CC Legend

Re: We're All Doomed!™ (the Conquest, War, Famine, and Death Thread)

Post by Topper »

For the most part BC has not had strict lockdowns and the emphasis has been too keep businesses open. Shutdowns have been limited and targeted. Some girls of business have been more affected than others and you have to feel for those who have written a target on they back for the past year.

Unfortunately, the past few months have seen populist politics of dear creep into BC's response. The bogus travel bag is the latest fiasco at enacting rules that are unenforceable.

Remember that BC was doing very well without a mask mandate up until Thanksgiving. The mask mandate was the first populist move. Businesses and scared public wanted it, unconcerned public and health officials did not see it as needed. The issue was that businesses that enacted a mask mandate were seeing abuse of their employees so the government stepped in.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Had to run into a walmart in Kansas yesterday. We were the only 2 customers wearing a mask in the store. Unbelievable. Pandemic? What pandemic?

We're about 35% fully vaccinated here, and pretty much anyone can get one with no appointment now. I think most people in are area planning to get it, but I guess we'll see where the final numbers end up.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Topper wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 7:10 am For the most part BC has not had strict lockdowns and the emphasis has been too keep businesses open. Shutdowns have been limited and targeted. Some girls of business have been more affected than others and you have to feel for those who have written a target on they back for the past year.

Unfortunately, the past few months have seen populist politics of dear creep into BC's response. The bogus travel bag is the latest fiasco at enacting rules that are unenforceable.

Remember that BC was doing very well without a mask mandate up until Thanksgiving. The mask mandate was the first populist move. Businesses and scared public wanted it, unconcerned public and health officials did not see it as needed. The issue was that businesses that enacted a mask mandate were seeing abuse of their employees so the government stepped in.
So are you saying the mask requirements are not needed and number of positive cases would be the same with or without masks?

Can you provide any proof that "unconcerned public and health officials" didn't see the need for them?
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Really hope the NDP isn’t planning on extending this travel ban within the province past May 25. I am pretty sure people will just say fuck it and go do their thing anyways. The cops can’t be out there 100 % of the time. If Horgan shuts down the province all summer there will be riots.
Last edited by Blob Mckenzie on Sat May 08, 2021 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
BCExpat
MVP
MVP

Post by BCExpat »

Vin Tanner wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 9:36 am Really hope the NDP isn’t planning on extending this travel ban within the province past May 25. I am cleft people will just say fuck and go do their thing anyways. The cops can’t be out there 100 % of the time. If Horgan shuts down the province all summer there will be riots.
My youngest son is supposed to get married in BC in September. They made their wedding plans a long time ago and have put down a deposit for their wedding venue, which is non-refundable. Obviously, they are worried about the travel restrictions and lock downs occurring right now. Hope they don't extend into September, but you never know.
Whale Oil Beef Hooked
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it" - Yogi Berra
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

BCExpat wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 9:49 am
Vin Tanner wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 9:36 am Really hope the NDP isn’t planning on extending this travel ban within the province past May 25. I am cleft people will just say fuck and go do their thing anyways. The cops can’t be out there 100 % of the time. If Horgan shuts down the province all summer there will be riots.
My youngest son is supposed to get married in BC in September. They made their wedding plans a long time ago and have put down a deposit for their wedding venue, which is non-refundable. Obviously, they are worried about the travel restrictions and lock downs occurring right now. Hope they don't extend into September, but you never know.
They should have done this a several weeks ago early to mid March when things started to spike up. It’s bad enough this is going to May 25. But that should be it. As with everything else though 5 % fuck it up for 95%. Stupid teenagers and young adults still gathering in big groups, and a lot of folks out in Surrey either don’t understand the language or don’t give a fuck about the rules. So a guy can’t go golfing in Kelowna or over to the Island to visit friends and relatives or go to my cabin. Just get to sit in my house with my finger in my ass. You can’t shut down the economy half assed like this, just because they made some earlier mistakes along the way. People have to live, they have to eat and they need to get out and enjoy themselves. I would think if we can get the vaccinations up to around 2/3 of the population the restrictions should be eased off.
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

The travel restrictions do nothing to stop the spread. If I've got covid it doesn't matter whether I go camping in Golden Ears or the Okanagan. Or golfing in either of those locations. Or whatever. I'll still come into contact with roughly the same number of people. And infect the same number. I really don't know why they're doing this.

Arguably telling all the Lower Mainland folks to cram into all the available vacation spots in our region is going to make it worse. Let people spread out and get away from one another! Fuuuuuuck!

And get the vaccine passport program going so we can open up Playland and and the water parks and allow kids to play sports tournaments like normal. Fucking antivaxxers are everywhere. We'll struggle to get to 2/3.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

2Fingers wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 7:47 am
Topper wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 7:10 am For the most part BC has not had strict lockdowns and the emphasis has been too keep businesses open. Shutdowns have been limited and targeted. Some girls of business have been more affected than others and you have to feel for those who have written a target on they back for the past year.

So are you saying the mask requirements are not needed and number of positive cases would be the same with or without masks?

Can you provide any proof that "unconcerned public and health officials" didn't see the need for them?
Go back to the week they were put into place. Businesses were bringing in mask requirements for too pursue from panic riddled customers. The more ardent anti masters started verbal abusing staff and in some rare cases physically abusing them. At that point, government stepped in and made their mandate. Much of the pressure came from the restaurant and retain owners.

I think BC did too good of a job suppressing the spread a year ago and is currently paying for it.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Rumours of my demise are somewhat exaggerated

I have however spent a fortnight in an induced coma. They woke me up last Monday and I have spent this week trying to become a better person by learning skills like walking, eating with a spoon, etc. I have lost a lot of muscle mass so a preliminary estimate is I will be in rehab for four months.

My main concern at this point though, is that my wife is still in a coma. She will be in even worse shape when they wake her up.

I won't be around much as I have both the attention span and rough brain size of a gnat.

Take your shots.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Per wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 6:38 am Rumours of my demise are somewhat exaggerated

I have however spent a fortnight in an induced coma. They woke me up last Monday and I have spent this week trying to become a better person by learning skills like walking, eating with a spoon, etc. I have lost a lot of muscle mass so a preliminary estimate is I will be in rehab for four months.

My main concern at this point though, is that my wife is still in a coma. She will be in even worse shape when they wake her up.

I won't be around much as I have both the attention span and rough brain size of a gnat.

Take your shots.
Holy hell Per thats brutal buds. Sorry to hear about your wife and hopefully she comes around right away here.

Glad you made it
If you need air...call it in
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Holy shit Per, that's crazy. Glad you made it through and I hope your wife gets there soon too!
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

We are all wishing you and your wife well.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

I echo what’s said above Per. Glad to have you back! I hope your wife kicks the shit out of the COVID as well brother.
BCExpat
MVP
MVP

Post by BCExpat »

Wow that's brutal. Hope your wife recovers. Get well soon!
Whale Oil Beef Hooked
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it" - Yogi Berra
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Per wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 6:38 am I have both the attention span and rough brain size of a gnat.
:lol:

So youre almost back to normal then!
If you need air...call it in