We're All Doomed!™ (the Conquest, War, Famine, and Death Thread)

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

mr perfect
MVP
MVP

Re: We're All Doomed!™ (the Conquest, War, Famine, and Death Thread)

Post by mr perfect »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:01 pm
Megaterio Llamas wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:13 pm
Doyle Hargraves wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:36 pm
Strangelove wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:58 am
Micky wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:52 am I live out by 6 road in richmond and although of course much slower, the international flights are very much still happening.
two or three a day at least from Air-China. Lufthansa, British Airways,Japan, etc.
The jets aren't even wearing masks.
Would you mind scurrying up onto your rooftop for a better view? :drink:
:lol:

Are you Harold Snepsts or Gerald Diduck? I don’t think anyone I’ve ever seen in Van could deliver that good of a crosscheck. Maybe Glen Cochrane or Daryl Stanley. Murray Baron?

Either way Gomer is getting it in the numbers
What about Jim Hargreaves :D

Before my time. Was he any good?

Harold was very good giving guys the lumber across the back
No. That 72-73 team was the least devoid of talent team the Canucks have ever iced. The team the previous season finished with fewer points but at least had some fight and toughness with Pat Quinn, Rosaire Paiment and Orland Kurtenbach on it. The team Hargraves was on only had Schmautz, Boudrias and rookie Don Lever who deserved to be in the NHL. The rest of the team were IHLers. Kurtenbach got old and missed most of the season after having surgery for ulcers. Only Schmautz had the gonads to stand up to the Broad Street Bullies. The rest of the team, Hargraves included were Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

”I wish these 20’s will be just like the roaring 20’s”
One pandemic coming up!
”No, that’s not what I meant...”
Stock exchanges crashing around the world!
”Wait! Stop this!”
Bars closing!
”Aaaaaaaaaaaargh!”
Massive layoffs across the board!
” ... ”
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

mr perfect wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:54 am
No. That 72-73 team was the least devoid of talent team the Canucks have ever iced.
They must've been really good then!

If you need air...call it in
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

mr perfect wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:54 am The rest of the team, Hargraves included were Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
... and the Canucks crowd was the Magic Mirror.

Yep, Vancouver fans were known as the "Boo Birds" in those days.

Oh they let athletes know exactly how they felt, and it wasn't pretty!

That year they booed the fuck outta the Lions, the Canucks

... and even Team Canada in the Summit Series! :D

Were you a Boo Bird Mr Perfect?
____
Try to focus on someday.
mr perfect
MVP
MVP

Post by mr perfect »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:55 am
No. That 72-73 team was the least devoid of talent team the Canucks have ever iced.

You got me Brown. A double negative. Posting late at night when I'm tired (but not drunk).
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

mr perfect wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:18 pm
The Brown Wizard wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:55 am

You got me Brown. A double negative. Posting late at night when I'm tired (but not drunk).
Mr Practically Perfect? :D
____
Try to focus on someday.
mr perfect
MVP
MVP

Post by mr perfect »

Strangelove wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:16 pm
mr perfect wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:54 am The rest of the team, Hargraves included were Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs

No, I've never booed my teams. Disappointed, yes but not even boos from the safety of my living room.

I wasn't living in the Lower Mainland in those early years. We would come down during Christmas and summer holidays to take in a CFL and NHL game once a season. I saw my first NHL game live on January 1, 1973 when the Boston Bruins smoked the Canucks 8-2. It wasn't all that bad because I got to see the great Bobby Orr play and dominate the game with 6 assists. He was booed by the crowd. The fans were also on Dale Tallon's case, yelling at him to "Hit 'em with your purse" every time he was near a Bruin. You could tell he hated being here. After the season and his contract was up he threatened to jump to the WHA if he wasn't traded.

The Snow White and the Seven Dwarves was started by weird Al Davidson when Bud Poile went nuts and drafted a bunch of small players (Bobby Lalonde, Richard Lemieux), players about as tall as Davidson himself that Poile thought he could turn into Henri Richard and Yvan Cournoyer. The problem was they didn't have anywhere near that kind of talent and by letting the physical player go, the Canucks were run over and beat up by everyone. That team was definitely the worst in Canucks history. In my humble.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

mr perfect wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:43 pm
Strangelove wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:16 pm

No, I've never booed my teams. Disappointed, yes but not even boos from the safety of my living room.

I wasn't living in the Lower Mainland in those early years. We would come down during Christmas and summer holidays to take in a CFL and NHL game once a season. I saw my first NHL game live on January 1, 1973 when the Boston Bruins smoked the Canucks 8-2. It wasn't all that bad because I got to see the great Bobby Orr play and dominate the game with 6 assists. He was booed by the crowd. The fans were also on Dale Tallon's case, yelling at him to "Hit 'em with your purse" every time he was near a Bruin. You could tell he hated being here. After the season and his contract was up he threatened to jump to the WHA if he wasn't traded.

The Snow White and the Seven Dwarves was started by weird Al Davidson when Bud Poile went nuts and drafted a bunch of small players (Bobby Lalonde, Richard Lemieux), players about as tall as Davidson himself that Poile thought he could turn into Henri Richard and Yvan Cournoyer. The problem was they didn't have anywhere near that kind of talent and by letting the physical player go, the Canucks were run over and beat up by everyone. That team was definitely the worst in Canucks history. In my humble.
Lol, yeah y'gotta admit the brutally honest Canucks crowd had a lot of personality in those days! :lol:

The team, not so much.

I wasn't a Boo Bird either, just a young punk.

But I gotta say, the booing was, at times, deafening (especially at Empire Stadium).

I was trying to like the home team Canucks in those days, but it just wasn't working.

(loved the fans though!)

I've mentioned many times on these forums I was a staunch Broad Street Bullies fan back then.

They were like the polar opposite of the Canucks that season.

Just looked it up and Canucks won the season series vs the Leaves though.

All that really matters. :wink:
____
Try to focus on someday.
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Strangelove wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:15 pm But I gotta say, the booing was, at times, deafening (especially at Empire Stadium).
Huh?

Anyways, back on topic, scientists are working tirelessly to solve the coronavirus problem (gotta love the Aussies):

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-n ... rus-device
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

5thhorseman wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:53 pm
Strangelove wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:15 pm But I gotta say, the booing was, at times, deafening (especially at Empire Stadium).
Huh?
We were talking about the Boo Birds chirping at both the Pacific Coliseum and Empire Stadium...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Any thread can be expected to run off topic during these dark, dangerous time, when any post could be our last.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

There was the whipping boy phenomenon back then as well. Fans would center some lesser player on the roster out for special attention and just ride him mercilessly. Don Cherry was the first I recall getting this treatment and Dennis Kearns eventually came in for the treatment too when he his game started to fall off. They did this in Toronto as well. I guess it could have been imported from there, an Anglo Canadian thing. Vancouver fans were nasty back then, today they're forced to make do with getting the bile out of their system online and through media channels. Media itself has always been at the heart of this particular darkness.
el rey del mambo
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Megaterio Llamas wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:37 pm Vancouver fans were nasty back then
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Megaterio Llamas wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:37 pm Media itself has always been at the heart of this particular darkness.
There's a lot of truth in that.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

I guarantee the Chef is kicking the tires on some of his old conquests from back in the day with the world coming to an end.

Michelle Dumaresq
Constable Anne Drennan
Gillian Guess
Angela Dawson

The chick bouncer at Friscos/Tommy’s back in the day
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”