Just Not ready

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Re: Just Not ready

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

JelloPuddingPop wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:27 pm
Cousin Strawberry wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:23 pm What we need is that kid with the pies. The pieminister pie in chretiens face was gold
Got the munchies my dude?
Banana cream pie is the shit when you really need to graze
If you need air...call it in
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

JelloPuddingPop wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:21 pm LeBlanc quoted as just the opposite.

You haven't been watching this Gov. if you think the Kid will give up his leadership.
Yeah, 24hrs later in a set speech while refusing to answer if he's has organizing meetings.

The kid will be joining the figurehead boardroom set on the ski slopes of Switzerland.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Former head of the Bank of Canada, David Dodge, former Trudeau Finance Minister, Bill Morneau, media pundits from CBC, CTV, Globe and Mail, of course the National Post, all coming out against the latest Trudeau/Freeland budget.

5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

The increase in the capital gains inclusion rate to 75% is a good move. Lower taxation of investment income only benefits the rich.

Continued deficit spending despite a strong economy is a fail, but what can you expect. Canada's last balanced budget was in the year before Trudeau was elected.

Didn't see much else of significance, at least for my personal situation.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Increases capital gains tax is a fail that destroys investor confidence in Canada and punish retirees as well as entrepreneurs.

Let's say you retired, sold of your small business and bought a cabin or a second property. You turned it into a party time airbnb to generate additional retirement income. In days past you would have used it as rental property but landlord tenant rules are so skewed to the tenant and rental increases capped it is a loss making proposition. Now the government has banned secondary residences from the airbnb market. Maybe you should sell but oops, now the capital gains tax increases will kick in.

That is a hard working small business owner made something for himself. Not Galen Weston.

How about the soft ware developer who takes part of his pay as share options?

What about employee share plans in a private company as a portion of their pay. A Vancouver assay lab that started as a husband and wife operation and grew to be a major international lab. Employees were included in a share plan so that when the company sold, many long term employees became instant multimillionaires through their share plan.

5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Is it fair that people who work 40 hours a week pay pay at a higher tax rate than someone who just earns a passive income and is more likely to be quite rich.

If you're a retiree with a capital gain in 2024 exceeding $250K, then you're already doing quite well. This includes the former Airbnb owner who still has 100% of his capital and then some to put to work in a better business venture.

Taking part of your pay in share options? You'll still end up ahead compared with taking the same amount in cash (open to correction here depending on how the share options are structured).

Have you become an instant multimillionaire when the company you work for got sold? Let's be generous and assume your ACB is zero. If you made $1M then you pay tax on 75% (previously 50%) of $750K, which, at the marginal rate of 26'% is $146K (previously $98K). You're still $850K ahead after paying an additional $48K in tax. Congratulations! You hit the jackpot.

Any time you change the tax code there will be examples of adverse effects on certain individuals or businesses, but that shouldn't stop the government from changing a regressive system.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Those are one time hits on small business owners and professionals. Oddly the same group Trudeau had to backpedal away from raising taxes on after calling them tax cheats for incorporating their businesses and collecting a wage from it.

He's promoting it as going after the 0.13%, the Galen Weston's, reality is, he's going after your doctor, dentist, engineer, home construction contractor, halal broker ... who has properly managed their money planning for retirement.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/money/topstor ... r-AA1ni7nC

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Governments in Canada can ease the cost-of-living crisis – they just don’t want to:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/busines ... t-want-to/

But go after those who make over $250,000.00 to cash grab for incompetent governance?!?!
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Apparently Sophie's new book is all about mental health issues.

Proving Justin has an Oedipus Complex.

donlever
MVP
MVP

Post by donlever »

Topper wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:21 am Proving Justin has an Oedipus Complex.
...this actually logics out, hadn't crossed my mind previously.
DeLevering since 1999.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

el rey del mambo
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

The problem with the campus anti semitic protests is they are students who don't have any money in their bank accounts.

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Topper wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:01 am The problem with the campus anti semitic protests is they are students who don't have any money in their bank accounts.
How are they anti-Semitic?
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."