US Erection 12 *AND* 16 *AND* 20 *AND* 22 *AND* 24

The primary goal of this site is to provide mature, meaningful discussion about the Vancouver Canucks. However, we all need a break some time so this forum is basically for anything off-topic, off the wall, or to just get something off your chest! This forum is named after poster Creeper, who passed away in July of 2011 and was a long time member of the Canucks message board community.

Moderator: Referees

Per
MVP
MVP

Re: US Erection 12 *AND* 16

Post by Per »

Strangelove wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:52 pm
Reefer2 wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:25 am The Mr. Duck said the market was doing great under him.

https://ca.yahoo.com/finance/news/marke ... nance.html
https://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/sto ... l-concerns

https://www.macrotrends.net/1358/dow-jo ... t-10-years

Dow was under 20,000 when Donny took office 23 months ago, almost 23,000 today...
Dow was under 9,000 when Obama took office. Reached 20,000 on his watch. It's not going to double under Donny.
A lot of the rise during 2017 was spillover from Obama, just like the Dow kept falling initially under Obama, because of the mess Dubya had created. At the beginning of 2018 the Dow reached 26,000. Do you think it will get that high again under Trump? I think it's questionable. We'll see.

His tax cut does help the businesses, but the economy likes stability and predictability, and those are not Trump's forte. The recent sharp drop came after he shut down the goverment over his wall fixation and then picked a fight with the federal reserve. One of the key concepts of an independent central bank is that the politicians should not interfer.

The fed has rules and guidelines that they should adher to to help stabilize the economy. They are not to take orders from politicians. Guess someone forgot to tell Donny, or else it must have slipped his slippery mind.

The trade wars are really going to hurt. The American car industry is already bleeding, and if he keeps messing with China, that will inevitably hit the farmers in the gut.

But we'll see. If anything, Trump is not predictable. Maybe he'll surprise us all and change for the better? :|
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Per I commend you on being so gentle on the ducklings. Do many times you have to correct them.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Reefer2 wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:15 pm Per I commend you on being so gentle on the ducklings. Do many times you have to correct them.
ENGRISH PREASE!! :lol:

Per knows as well as I do that the President only deserves so much credit/blame for the market.

Hell, many are blaming the dems, what with their control of Congress, for the recent downturn.

You said the market isn't doing well under Trump, but in the big picture it’s doing fine.

Perhaps the only thing holding it back is the leftist media’s portrayal of the President. :wow:

You know, those folks who produce the beat to which you goosestep?

I mean one could say that YOU are at least partially to blame for any stock market woes. :mex:
____
Try to focus on someday.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Reefer2 wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:15 pm Per I commend you on being so gentle on the ducklings. Do many times you have to correct them.
Quacks
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Strangelove wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:29 pm
Hell, many are blaming the dems, what with their control of Congress, for the recent downturn.
Uhm.... they will be in control of the house of representatives, come January.
For the past two years the republicans have been in charge of both chambers of congress plus the white house.

But maybe you don't follow American politics? :|
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Per wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:15 pm
Strangelove wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:29 pm
Uhm.... they will be in control of the house of representatives, come January.
For the past two years the republicans have been in charge of both chambers of congress plus the white house.

But maybe you don't follow American politics? :|
Looks like someone had too much rum and eggnog.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

UMMMMMMMMM... I said "many" as in many crazy people... not yours truly.

Speaking of crazy people, I still say the lunatic Reefer is partially to blame for any stock market woes. :drink:

(notice Per didn't dispute that)

Butt seriously Per, you don't think the mid-terms outcome could affect the markets?
____
Try to focus on someday.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Strangelove wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:20 pm Butt seriously Per, you don't think the mid-terms outcome could affect the markets?
Wall Street liked the midterm election results:

https://www.ft.com/content/3a2a12b2-e2a ... 2428919cee

As I said, the market likes stability and predictability, and different parties in control of the house and the senate means checks and balances are in place. Lower risk for rash political decisions. Gridlock is a kind of stability, you know. :look:

The government shutdown and the attacks on the federal reserve are more likely what caused the recent dip.
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Strangelove wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:20 pm UMMMMMMMMM... I said "many" as in many crazy people... not yours truly.
SL quoting crazies, as per usual.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Does anyone really pay attention to the markets in the last week of the year as fund managers play for their bonus?

Massive drops are buying opportunities.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Topper wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:14 pm Does anyone really pay attention to the markets in the last week of the year as fund managers play for their bonus?

Massive drops are buying opportunities.
Sure. It was just that that list of accomplishments listed the stock market surge, when in reality the stock market has fallen in 2018.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Per wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:45 pm The government shutdown and the attacks on the federal reserve are more likely what caused the recent dip.
Well the way the anti-Trump leftist media portrays things also does its damage.

(along with their goosestepping reefs)

I'm sure you would agree that all markets hang on human perception and emotion.

Fear vs greed amirite?
____
Try to focus on someday.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Strangelove wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:12 pm
Per wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:45 pm The government shutdown and the attacks on the federal reserve are more likely what caused the recent dip.
Well the way the anti-Trump leftist media portrays things also does its damage.

(along with their goosestepping reefs)

I'm sure you would agree that all markets hang on human perception and emotion.

Fear vs greed amirite?
Well, psychology (including perception and emotion) is part of it, but actual figures (sales, market share, growth, demand) also play a part. Long term the hard figures matter more, short term emotions and herd mentality can warp the market quite a bit.

That's why stability and predictability are so important. They reduce the impact of the psychological factors.
And that's why the market reacted favourably to the democrats taking the house.

Many investors may prefer republican politics, but they value predictability even higher, and having all branches of government controlled by the same party increases the likelyhood of change.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

I dunno Per, I figure the market is so overvalued that it's all about fear and greed at this point.

Beware the goosestepping fearmongerers...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Strangelove wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:53 pm Beware the goosestepping fearmongerers...
Absolutely! Fear is divisive. Us vs them.
We don't need no freaking walls!
We just need compassion.
Glad we see eye to eye on this.
Cheers, mate! :drink: