W-GDT: Nucks host Nashville - Apr 21/24 - SN/SN360/CBC

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Meds
MVP
MVP

Re: W-GDT: Nucks host Nashville - Apr 21/24 - SN/SN360/CBC

Post by Meds »

Topper wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:51 am A few comments;

Great hands by Joshua on Vancouver's third goal. Pass was awkwardly close to the body but he still managed to fire it over Saros.
Do you mean awkwardly close to Saros’ body?
Forwards have long turn styled goalies by using the knob end of the goalie stick as a lever as the forward drives by the net, Spearing or slashing the catcher is a low from kids playing street hockey days.
On the first replay I initially thought that by the book it should have been interference. But in reality the puck was already over Demko’s shoulder by the time contact was made. The zebras were already calling shit against us that other officials have let slide in every other series so far…..if Tocchet had challenged I shudder to think how they may have responded.
Demko looks a bit off. Not in game shape or still nursing his wound a bit?
I’d lean towards the former, and likely more on the mental side. I had some questions based upon the report of Silovs being called up, however, that full splits save in the first period suggested he’s physically good to go.
11.6 is hearing footsteps every time he handles the puck and is making horrible passes to get rid of it before being hit. He is a trojanesque turnover machine. Yet he stands in front of the net taking his whacks. He's not shooting unless the pass for his open shot is perfect and he has clear site of the net. Time to sacrifice and few 90+ slappers into the softer parts of defenders and create some openings for the next shot.
At one point in the 3rd, after passing up several shots while awaiting the perfect setup, Pettersson finally unloaded one that went high and wide, off the glass and out. At the time I flippantly commented, “Ovechkin woulda hit the net.” To which a buddy replied, “Sure, on one of his 50 attempts.” While an overstatement, the premise is true. If the puck comes his way and there’s no defender in the lane, Ovechkin just lets fly regardless of where the pass is placed. I remember Gretzky saying: “You miss 100% of the shots that you don’t take.” Makes one think that maybe there’s a reason Ovie is the only guy in 3 decades that has a chance at catching 99. 11.6 should think about that.
Lindholm is out scoring Kuzmenko in the playoffs.
Lindholm had an outstanding game last night. He logged almost 19 minutes of TOI, won 60% of his face-offs, had our first goal, and was the reason the winning goal happened despite not registering an assist.
Chanting the opponet's goalie's name in a 3-2 game is childish stupidity. Can't you just stand with your selfie stick cell phone and face the TV camera?
As you previously mentioned, the Canucks likely would have had more success with pucks on net early. Besides the obvious reasons for this, Saros looked very shaky and seemed to be fighting the puck when it did actually hit the target. The Lindholm goal was evidence of that as it went off/through him. When a goalie is clearly unsettled fans tend to jump on them like that. Certainly I agree it shouldn’t have been related to the score…..although 2 in 12 seconds also makes what transpired more likely to happen.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: GDT: Nucks host Nashville - Apr 21/24 - SN/SN360/CBC

Post by Cornuck »

Per wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:29 am I'm just saying I don't think he has peaked yet. The best is yet to come!
I sure hope you're right. I think the problem that many of us are seeing though is that he doesn't look involved mentally.

In the past, I've seen him lose a puck and chase after it like his life depended on it. Now it seems like he falls down, slowly gets up and goes about his day.

I also wonder how much of this is "the Tocchet effect". We saw what happened with Kuzmenko, and maybe (just spitballing here) EP40 doesn't care for his coach's philosophy and isn't putting in the effort. When he's with Brock and JT, his game seems to be more involved - like last night's short shift when he actually got a decent shot off.

Maybe he feels that playing with Hoglander and Lafferty is beneath him (?) - or he just doesn't have the chemistry (or faith in them).

Whatever the reason is, it really seems like mood swings, with a general lack of interest at times. All I can say is that we need him to find 11.6 million reasons to get his ass motivated now, rather than later.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

mood swings are short term
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
donlever
MVP
MVP

Post by donlever »

Canucks fans sure seem to make a lot of excuses for a player with 400 plus games and over 100 mill in earnings logged.

Seems a pretty perma-moody dude to me so far.

Kinda like 19.
DeLevering since 1999.
Raile
MVP
MVP

Post by Raile »

great game last night but the same two common problems rearing their ugly heads again -

- losing the special teams battle. this pretty much sums up the year 2024 for the team. hard to see us going very far this year if this is the case, yet somehow we just can't seem to figure it out. On the power play, even the Nashville feed mentioned how our PP1 is loaded with stars.. there's really no excuse to not be potting a goal here and there. We got the goals we needed in the end, this game, but that early 3rd period power play that yet again can't score.. I definitely found myself thinking that's going to be the turning point right there. There's been a lot of games recently where that's happened and we didn't end up getting the goals.

- second line was MIA, yet again. If there was one glaring weakness for most of our year, it's been a below average 2nd line, and half the year Petey didn't look so shit.. maybe its well below average now. We traded for Lindholm with the purpose of solving that issue and of course that didn't work out, at least not yet.
Have they ever tried Garland and Joshua with Petey? I agree for the money he really has to figure it out on his own, but an October playing Petey really becomes a game changer in matching us with the other true cup contenders.. whatever it takes to get him out of this funk.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Mëds wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:07 pm Pettersson was all about his own brand during his first two seasons.

This guy was never going to be a top-5 player in this league. Sorry. Top-15? Yeah, probably. But you can't build around him.
I still like Petey and glad that he will be sticking around. Would I rather see him firing on all cylinders this season and the playoffs? Of course, but he still got 90 pts this year despite going through some dry spells. Am I concerned with his new deal kicking in next season? Sure, a lil bit, but Petey is still just 25, so his best hockey is still ahead of him. Look at guys like MacKinnon and Kucherov, they are like 28 & 30 and they just took their games to another level this season. MacKinnon was looking like only a 90 pt guy for a few years there, but just exploded recently. I remember there was a stretch there when BoHo looked as good as him and there were some guys on this board suggesting that we trade Bo for MacKinnon. I am sure the Avs are glad that they never traded him and stuck with their guy.

Last season, Petey was better than JT and was our main offensive driver playing with the Kuzmenkshow. Man, they had amazing chemistry last season, almost Sedin like; I am still surprised that just disappeared this season. :( This season, it's JT driving the bus and he's having the better year. It's a nice problem to have, we have 2 guys to rely on rather than 1. Simply with the age factor, I think EP40 will be our main offensive driver sooner rather than later, and JT will slow down a bit, but back him up.

Will Petey be a perennial top 5 player? Probably not, but being a consistent top 15-20 guy is still good. I think he'll have a couple of career years where he'll be top 5. That being said, I still think he'll go down as the best career centre for our franchise. When he's on his game, he can make plays like Hank Sedin, but he has a blistering shot like Nasi19 and add in the fact that he has slick hands/moves like Pavel Datsyuk. I think we'll see that Petey again, EP40, the Alien. It's just a matter of time. Hopefully sooner rather than later though and hopefully especially in this playoff run. :D
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

LOL late blossomer Nate

17-18 74G 97Pts 22yrs old
18-19 82G 99Pts 23 yrs old
19-20 69G 93Pts 24 yrs old
20-21 48G 65Pts 25 yrs old
21-22 65G 88Pts 26 yrs old
22-23 71G 111Pts 27 yrs old
23-24 82G 140Pts 28 yrs old

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Megaterio Llamas wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:23 pm I think those money bags are weighing him down.

Kind of like Tuco in the desert in The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly. :D
This! :D
____
Try to focus on someday.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:23 pm
Mëds wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:07 pm Pettersson was all about his own brand during his first two seasons.

This guy was never going to be a top-5 player in this league. Sorry. Top-15? Yeah, probably. But you can't build around him.
I still like Petey and glad that he will be sticking around. Would I rather see him firing on all cylinders this season and the playoffs? Of course, but he still got 90 pts this year despite going through some dry spells. Am I concerned with his new deal kicking in next season? Sure, a lil bit, but Petey is still just 25, so his best hockey is still ahead of him. Look at guys like MacKinnon and Kucherov, they are like 28 & 30 and they just took their games to another level this season. MacKinnon was looking like only a 90 pt guy for a few years there, but just exploded recently. I remember there was a stretch there when BoHo looked as good as him and there were some guys on this board suggesting that we trade Bo for MacKinnon. I am sure the Avs are glad that they never traded him and stuck with their guy.
Anyone comparing MacKinnon and Pettersson has not watched MacKinnon skate. They guy has always had explosive speed and been hard to push off the puck. Look at Topper’s recap of zero point showings by Petey this year. Speaks volumes.
Last season, Petey was better than JT and was our main offensive driver playing with the Kuzmenkshow. Man, they had amazing chemistry last season, almost Sedin like; I am still surprised that just disappeared this season. :( This season, it's JT driving the bus and he's having the better year. It's a nice problem to have, we have 2 guys to rely on rather than 1. Simply with the age factor, I think EP40 will be our main offensive driver sooner rather than later, and JT will slow down a bit, but back him up.
Miller was more effective in games that he wasn’t letting emotions get the better of him. After Tocchet showed up it was quickly clear that Miller was the bus driver.

If Petey made Kuz did he also unmake him? Or was Kuz the one who made Petey?
Will Petey be a perennial top 5 player? Probably not, but being a consistent top 15-20 guy is still good.
Then he should have been paid like a 15-20 guy.
CrzyCanuck
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by CrzyCanuck »

Mëds wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:49 pm
Will Petey be a perennial top 5 player? Probably not, but being a consistent top 15-20 guy is still good.
Then he should have been paid like a 15-20 guy.

Will he be a top 5 paid player or a top 15-20 paid players in 5 years in his primes?

Clearly the management isn't just paying based on to-date performance (which, is still not too shabby with a career >1.00 ppg)

nevertheless, the deal is done. He's been struggling and invisible SINCE FEB but it's not the end of the world, he'll eventually come out of it.

Recall that because of Miller's lazy, disinterested plays (and also those retarded blue-line backhanded passes), many of us were not a fan of choosing Bo over Miller but once that trade was done, we moved on and trusted the management's decision, which turned out to be a great one. Of course this wouldn't have happened without Miller changing

and same thing applies for Petey, the management trusts him and sees him as a core here

The question right now is not even if he can go another level up, it's more about him recovering his original self.
Hockey is Life, Nothing Else Matters
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

It's not unusual for elite stars like Pettersson to have scoring funks. Didn't Pasternak end the season going like 18 games without a goal?

We've seen these deep valleys before with EP. The peaks are higher than the valleys at least
If you need air...call it in
JelloPuddingPop
MVP
MVP

Post by JelloPuddingPop »

Mëds wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:49 pm Then he should have been paid like a 15-20 guy.
He will be in a few years. Lots of young guys up and coming that will dwarf that contract - Bedard, Beniers, Luke Hughes, Michkov etc. all will have larger contracts.

Sure, he might be overpaid next year - possibly the year after... but the last 6 I'm sure he will earn every penny.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

He's gonna DatsyukGretzky the shit out of the future...man
If you need air...call it in
donlever
MVP
MVP

Post by donlever »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:40 pm He's gonna DatsyukGretzky the shit out of the future...man
Flip that switch baby.
DeLevering since 1999.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Does he have the strength?