GDT: Jets @ Canucks March 24 7:30 pm SN

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: GDT: Jets @ Canucks March 24 7:30 pm SN

Post by Strangelove »

Cornuck wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:04 pm Dirty stinking coppers...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Strangelove wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:00 pm
Doyle Hargraves wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:53 pm
Strangelove wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:30 pm
Mëds wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:22 pm I really don't see how the coaching staff survives this season
Yeah, all of them on the final season of their contracts right now, they'll be gone for sure.

Mëds wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:22 pm , and frankly I wouldn't be at all shocked if Benning was also shown the door.
I would be absolutely shocked if Benning was shown the door.
Will you be ok if they are gassed as well?
You mean Benning?

Of course, it's a business!

A business in which coaches and managers have very short shelf lives.

But I would be shocked if they fire Benning this year.
But why would you be shocked? He’s had seven years at the helm and the team is still riddled with holes and bad contracts.

I won’t be shocked either way. If he gets gassed, it won’t be surprising. If he hangs on and starts his 8th season, I also won’t be that surprised. He has nine lives and his passive disposition is something ownership absolutely adores.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:15 pm
Strangelove wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:00 pm
Doyle Hargraves wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:53 pm
Mëds wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:22 pm I really don't see how the coaching staff survives this season
Yeah, all of them on the final season of their contracts right now, they'll be gone for sure.

Mëds wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:22 pm , and frankly I wouldn't be at all shocked if Benning was also shown the door.
Will you be ok if they are gassed as well?
You mean Benning?

Of course, it's a business!

A business in which coaches and managers have very short shelf lives.

But I would be shocked if they fire Benning this year.
But why would you be shocked? He’s had seven years at the helm and the team is still riddled with holes and bad contracts.

I won’t be shocked either way. If he gets gassed, it won’t be surprising. If he hangs on and starts his 8th season, I also won’t be that surprised. He has nine lives and his passive disposition is something ownership absolutely adores.
He could also be back with clipped wings, in a reduced capacity with Mr Aquilini assuming more responsibility in the day to day hockey operations department. Responsibility above and beyond his current role as owner / director / POHO.
el rey del mambo
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Megaterio Llamas wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:21 pm
He could also be back with clipped wings, in a reduced capacity with Mr Aquilini assuming more responsibility in the day to day hockey operations department. Responsibility above and beyond his current role as owner / director / POHO.
Not sure which is worse. In a perfect world, the owners would stay the fuck out of the way and hire a real leader to come in and assume the role of president. The fact there hasn’t been a POHO since Mike Gillis is a joke.
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:30 pm
Not sure which is worse. In a perfect world, the owners would stay the fuck out of the way and hire a real leader to come in and assume the role of president. The fact there hasn’t been a POHO since Mike Gillis is a joke.
Oh of course, but our situation here is unique to say the least. Mr Aquilini has dreamed of being the general manager of the Canucks since he was a tyke in his Canucks pajamas listening to Jim Robson on the radio. He's all over every aspect of the management of the team and he's gaining more and more control every year. We both know why there hasn't been an official team president since Trevor Linden left. The one year plans to spend to the cap and try to make the playoffs where maybe we get lucky an win a cup are his. 'We need a tough guy Jimmy, we need to get to the cap ceiling Jimmy' etc...
el rey del mambo
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

VAN- 5-1- EVEN:- Nils Hoglander (7) Backhand,- assists: Bo Horvat (13),- Brock Boeser (17) -18:35- 3rd --- https://streamable.com/zr1v9w

Team-- Shots-- Hits-- Power Play-- Face offs
WPG---- 36----- 17----- -2/3--------- 46.3% ......Not many would look at these stats and guess the score right.
VAN----- 39----- 20------ 0/2--------- 53.7%

Jets to many men proof ---https://streamable.com/hbnjb0..real close.

MacEwen fights Stanley avoiding the haymaker and with the take down himself --- https://streamable.com/8j19yj

MacEwen 1st period intermission with Murph about the fight --- https://streamable.com/r5djl1

Good hit by Vesey --- https://streamable.com/bfc9xq

Many too many men --- https://streamable.com/mq91lq

Another post, this time for Miller. --- https://streamable.com/qdbu2r
"evolution"
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Post-Game,/ Thatcher Demko..2;00 min. Give him credit for doing this silly pre-arranged interview. Silly questions.

Post-Game / Horvat with Edler sitting relaxing...3;00 min. Horvat talking about all the posts and simply trying to find the positives after two games like they've just had. About his foot he says Luckily there was nothing broken and that it was just a bone bruise.

Post-Game / Green..3;03 min. Thought their goalie was outstanding. Thought our game was better tonight than last game. Sometimes you play a pretty decent game and things don’t go the way you want. Didn't like the too many men calls his team took. We have to find a way to score!!!!

..........................................................................The End

Personal opinion; I think the coaching staff has to take much of the responsibility for much of the team's lack of success and growth as a group..
"evolution"
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

The fact there hasn’t been a POHO since Mike Gillis is a joke.
After the disgusting job Gillis did with that team that should’ve won the cup given the core he inherited I doubt Aqualini wants to plop another do-nothing megalomaniac on a POHO throne
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:50 am
The fact there hasn’t been a POHO since Mike Gillis is a joke.
After the disgusting job Gillis did with that team that should’ve won the cup given the core he inherited I doubt Aqualini wants to plop another do-nothing megalomaniac on a POHO throne
They still need a president of hockey operations. They haven’t had one since Gillis. Trevor doesn’t count. He was pr stunt/puppet. Teams need a leader. Fredo isn’t a leader and Elmer with Fredo’s arm in his ass is not a leader. Might be the most dysfunctional ownership/management outside of Buffalo and Phoenix.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:10 am
They still need a president of hockey operations. They haven’t had one since Gillis.
He held both titles. GM & POHO. Why is this an example? All I know is he left a pretty big mess.
"evolution"
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

He's the longest serving GM with a losing record. I love what he's done with drafting, but right now we're seeing that he has loaded this team up with some serious dead weight.

Granted, all of that dead weight will be gone at the end of next season, however, that means that next year we get to look forward to a repeat of this year because the only thing really coming off the books is Sutter and Pearson.....and all of that money is going right back into existing players who need significant raises.

For the record I'm not advocating that we gas Elmer, just that I can see the justification for it if it happens.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Megaterio Llamas wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:08 pm Hopefully we'll finally see contract year Petey in a week.
The playoffs are unofficially out of reach, and given that a few teams will play some of their games in hand while we have this break I'd say the standings will reflect that even more clearly when we get back at it against the Shames.

I'd prefer Petey no get back and go all "contract year".....him missing these games and the team actually having a FAR BETTER record without him than with him this season only helps the Canucks come negotiation time.

I'd rather we get Petey back and see him play subpar again for a bit and round into form as we circle the drain and miss the dance. Cheaper and shorter deal.
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Mëds wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:55 pm
Megaterio Llamas wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:08 pm Hopefully we'll finally see contract year Petey in a week.
The playoffs are unofficially out of reach, and given that a few teams will play some of their games in hand while we have this break I'd say the standings will reflect that even more clearly when we get back at it against the Shames.

I'd prefer Petey no get back and go all "contract year".....him missing these games and the team actually having a FAR BETTER record without him than with him this season only helps the Canucks come negotiation time.

I'd rather we get Petey back and see him play subpar again for a bit and round into form as we circle the drain and miss the dance. Cheaper and shorter deal.
That scenario would definitely benefit the team. I tell you though Mëds, I'm just about getting physically ill from watching these bad hockey games. I'm being a little selfish with the outlook here.
el rey del mambo
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Megaterio Llamas wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:00 pm
Mëds wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:55 pm

That scenario would definitely benefit the team. I tell you though Mëds, I'm just about getting physically ill from watching these bad hockey games. I'm being a little selfish with the outlook here.
I hear ya Megs, but frankly I wasn't impressed with Petey's game all year. There was nothing entertaining about it, even when he finally started getting a few points, I didn't ever get the sense that he was about to make something happen when he got the puck. It was actually more frustrating to watch them shit the bed with him there because we all had such high expectations for him.
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Mëds wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:27 pm

He's the longest serving GM with a losing record. I love what he's done with drafting, but right now we're seeing that he has loaded this team up with some serious dead weight.

Granted, all of that dead weight will be gone at the end of next season, however, that means that next year we get to look forward to a repeat of this year because the only thing really coming off the books is Sutter and Pearson.....and all of that money is going right back into existing players who need significant raises.

For the record I'm not advocating that we gas Elmer, just that I can see the justification for it if it happens.
Benning isn't getting canned Mëds, at least not this off season. He's got two years left on his contract and that saves his butt in this current environment. Big Frank is pinching pennies these days so Benning sticks around.

We can most likely say good bye to the entire coaching staff though, Ian Clark included.
el rey del mambo