BFW-GDT May 8 Game 1 Vancouver vs Coilers 7PM PST SN CBC

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Raile
MVP
MVP

Re: BFW-GDT May 8 Game 1 Vancouver vs Coilers 7PM PST SN CBC

Post by Raile »

Joshua with a mixed game. Lots of points but also lots of turnovers. Overall he was better imo then all of round 1 so good on him for waking up a bit.

Petey's line wasn't good, but I thought they looked better than all of round 1 as well.. I would argue that Mikheyev was the best of the 3! He had a few down low plays that were dangerous. This line is still our biggest issue.

Petey's play really isn't even close to good enough, but he does look like he's getting better every game. I wonder if he actually were to pot a goal at some point here if he'd wake the fuck up properly.

I think Silovs didn't play as bad as some of the goals against looked, but he also didn't look great. Do we go with Desmith for game 2? I feel like Silovs has another level as we saw in game 6.. and has the ability to outplay Skinner. I don't think Desmith has that same ceiling, but if this performance doesn't warrant a goalie change, then it's tough to see them ever going back to Desmith.
I think I'd stick with Silovs, but it's a tough call.
theman
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by theman »

Was hoping for a win last night, but not the way it went down.

Good resilience shown by the Canucks last night.
Raile
MVP
MVP

Post by Raile »

BoS wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 8:02 am
BCExpat wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 12:01 am Great game! It was nice to see the former Flames making a big contribution. Zad's hit on the Kraut was great.
Zed has been the 2nd best d-man for Van all playoffs.

This was easily Lindholms best game as a Canuck. His two way ability is so important, but he was physical all night and dominant on the draw.
like most I saw Zed as someone that would be good to keep but not a requirement.. but he's really playing himself in to an absolute priority to get him signed.

Tocchet was saying post game how funny he is and how loose he keeps everyone in the room. Big, physical, intimidating, scores big goals.. is a bit of an asshole to the other team but a great guy in the room.. and we have seen very little of his own chaos giraffe that he came advertised with when we aquired him. how can you not keep him
Last edited by Raile on Thu May 09, 2024 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hockey Widow
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Hockey Widow »

As always it will come down to money and term. He and Hronek are the two big names we have to try to keep. Myers, yes if reasonable money and term. Cole I would be ok if he came on another one year at less cap otherwise I'd let him walk. If Allvin could stagger all those contracts so they dont all expire at the same time that would be nice. Allows us to integrate newer players every year and not all at once.
The only HW the Canucks need
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

You should hear the coiler radio back pedalling going on out here. Yesterday it was all "I don't think this is going to be a long series" and "the Canucks and their AHL goalie don't stand a chance"

Today...it all about nurse and Ceci, Skinner giving the Canucks the win rather than getting caved in by a more talented group

I've beat off like 5 times in my service van already today haha
If you need air...call it in
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 11:22 am You should hear the coiler radio back pedalling going on out here. Yesterday it was all "I don't think this is going to be a long series" and "the Canucks and their AHL goalie don't stand a chance"

Today...it all about nurse and Ceci, Skinner giving the Canucks the win rather than getting caved in by a more talented group

I've beat off like 5 times in my service van already today haha
Reading this on my phone at work…..partner looking at me bewilderedly when I just start lol’ing.

Cuz, posts like this make this place what it is.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

If the Canucks can win game 2 I really think we will feel the hockey world tilt on its axis a few degrees…
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 11:05 pm I swore Doc once pulled rabbi out of a hat.
Yeah but then that schlep botched the Chef Boi RD circumcision!
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 5:13 pm 7-2 Oilers.
Chef Boi RD wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 7:51 pm This series has all the earmarkings of a 4 game sweep by the Oilers
Hmmm, does this Oil-loving you-know-wot now understand that he had everything assbackwards?

Not bloody likely!

Listen closely: We're in their heads now, it's over Johnny!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGC6C4vuOao

____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

____
Try to focus on someday.
CrzyCanuck
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by CrzyCanuck »

Raile wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 8:05 am
Petey's line wasn't good, but I thought they looked better than all of round 1 as well.. I would argue that Mikheyev was the best of the 3! He had a few down low plays that were dangerous. This line is still our biggest issue.

Petey's play really isn't even close to good enough, but he does look like he's getting better every game. I wonder if he actually were to pot a goal at some point here if he'd wake the fuck up properly.

Thought 11.6 had a much better game than the Nashville series. A lot more decisive and good on both ends.

Note that he actually found space on numerious occasions but low IQ and no vision Hoglander and stone hand Mik couldn't see him or couldn't send the puck to him
Hockey is Life, Nothing Else Matters
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

CrzyCanuck wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 2:47 pm Note that he actually found space on numerious occasions but low IQ and no vision Hoglander and stone hand Mik couldn't see him or couldn't send the puck to him
So here's what we have to work with.

Suter-Miller-Boeser
Hoglander-Pettersson-Mikheyev
Joshua- Lindholm-Garland
Di Giuseppe-Blueger-Lafferty

If Pettersson moved up to put the lotto line back together and we moved Suter to the "2nd line" - would it change anything on the 2nd line?

The Lindholm line seems to be clicking now, and getting some chemistry. I'd keep them together.

Adding any of the 4th line to Petey's line would not help at all. The 4th line is what it is.

So do we keep "our best player" on the 2nd line with 2 guys who aren't getting it done, or do we change things up? The only 2 interchangeable pieces I see are Suter and EP40. Moving EP40 up to the top line gives us a very dangerous line - while moving Suter down shouldn't change the effectiveness of the '2nd' line.

Or.... do we just stick with what's got us 5 wins so far?
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Cornuck wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 3:00 pm
CrzyCanuck wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 2:47 pm Note that he actually found space on numerious occasions but low IQ and no vision Hoglander and stone hand Mik couldn't see him or couldn't send the puck to him
So here's what we have to work with.

Suter-Miller-Boeser
Hoglander-Pettersson-Mikheyev
Joshua- Lindholm-Garland
Di Giuseppe-Blueger-Lafferty

If Pettersson moved up to put the lotto line back together and we moved Suter to the "2nd line" - would it change anything on the 2nd line?

The Lindholm line seems to be clicking now, and getting some chemistry. I'd keep them together.

Adding any of the 4th line to Petey's line would not help at all. The 4th line is what it is.

So do we keep "our best player" on the 2nd line with 2 guys who aren't getting it done, or do we change things up? The only 2 interchangeable pieces I see are Suter and EP40. Moving EP40 up to the top line gives us a very dangerous line - while moving Suter down shouldn't change the effectiveness of the '2nd' line.

I think that based on how they are playing, the Lindholm line has become our de-facto 2nd line.

I'd bump 11.6 up to the first line and then make the 3rd line Hog - Suter - Mik.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Cornuck wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 3:00 pm ...

I'd just stick with it for now. As you said, swapping out EP with Suter likely means zero difference re: wingers Mikh & Hogs. However, forcing 6/49 back together more permanently (when nothing is broken for now) could harm the current momentum.

Remember, the job for the top line isn't just to drive offence, it is to neutralize their top players 5v5 (like they have all regular season), grind them down, give them little in ways of scoring chances while potting one here and there. Winning this matchup consistently gives the Lindy line many more easier opportunities... and if 11.6 can't manage with his wingers to dominate the Oilers bottom 6... well, hey, the very justified criticism will continue.

Also, a few people have said all season that the Hoggy is a bit of a mirage and his stats do not reflect a true top 6 type player. Mikheyev as well, even with decent stats in the past. Sure, EP needs more offensive wingers, but he hasn't made any wingers better since ASG. That's the absolute truth. Not only do management have to try to keep the big dood dmen together, but the current Sea of Granlund wingers really need to be sorted out.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 19 People!
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Carl Yagro wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 3:36 pm big dood
*kicks Todd in the nads*
____
Try to focus on someday.