OTL-GDT May 10 Game 2 Vancouver vs Coilers 7PM PST SN CBC

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

griz
CC Veteran

Re: OTL-GDT May 10 Game 2 Vancouver vs Coilers 7PM PST SN CBC

Post by griz »

Megaterio Llamas wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 11:01 pm
griz wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 10:52 pm The bias from Simpson and Cuthbert was overt and disgusting.

The nut whack on Hoglander is worthy of a suspension IMO.

The hit on Petterson as well. And the previous game where Hughes was sent head first into the boards was very similar.

Cole has cost too much in the past two games. Love the warrior in him but shit.

The high stick from McJesus on Hughes could have set up a double minor. Could have changed the game.

McDavid taking a hit and getting a power play from it contrasts with Hughes taking a similar hit and not getting a power play. No consistency. Pathetic officiating. Embarrassing for the league.

The Canucks have already done amazing this year. I think we'll see some tweaking in the off-season that will lead to an even better run next year.

Road Canucks will be better.
Throw in Kane's slew foot on Hughes where Hughes hit his head on the ice and cracked his helmet and you have a Kelly Sutherland masterpiece.
Yeah, how could I forget? So many examples.
Picker of Cherries
CC Veteran

Post by Picker of Cherries »

Every other ref in the league calls boarding on Nurse’s hit on Pettersson, Kane’s slew foot on Hughes, and McDavid’s double minor on Hughes for the high stick. I also don’t think any other ref would call Suter’s interference on McDavid. Just pathetic.
“Gentlemen, you can't fight in here. This is the war room.”
- President Merkin Muffley
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

Picker of Cherries wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 11:13 pm Every other ref in the league calls boarding on Nurse’s hit on Pettersson, Kane’s slew foot on Hughes, and McDavid’s double minor on Hughes for the high stick. I also don’t think any other ref would call Suter’s interference on McDavid. Just pathetic.
Even throwing out the missed calls and the soft call, one referee strenuously arguing with the players and coaches on one team all night isn't a good look for the supervisors in the playoffs.
el rey del mambo
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

Nine straight losses under Sutherland btw.
el rey del mambo
Per
MVP
MVP

Re: GDT May 10 Game 2 Vancouver vs Coilers 7PM PST SN CBC

Post by Per »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 9:59 pm We basically have no answer for when McDavid and Draisaitl are on the ice
Then we need to find ways to keep them off the ice. :mex:
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Hockey Widow
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Hockey Widow »

I have finally reached a point where I can honestly say, " I no longer enjoy watching hockey". The officiating throughout the playoffs, year after year, has been a disgrace. This series has been disgraceful. All the non calls that people have talked about, including the pick by McDavid on Zadorov. The soft call on Suter as McDavid dove, looking at the refs the whole time. I'm sorry, but when a team has a PP as capable as the Oilers you dont give them those soft calls, especially if you are letting the egregious stuff go. It makes the outcome predictable.

On the McDavid high stick I was more incensed that the officials did not huddle to get the call right. You see them doing it all the time but not tonight. No excuse.

I have done my share of complaining over the years, as have all fans, but I just felt a sense of futility in watching. I have spent over 65 years watching hockey, yes I remember 1967 well. But I finally feel done. I just dont care.

Now I say all of this while not suggesting that had tonight's game been called fairly and without bias, we would have won. I dont know that that is true. Without Demko goaltending is pretty even. We have a better defence. They have a better offence, potent really. So even if we get all those calls we may not pull it off. I dont know. I'm just saying that when the game feels rigged there is no joy in playing. Sort of like slot machines.

We all knew our weaknesses going into the playoffs and our dreams were dashed even more when Demko got hurt. So we all knew it would be an uphill battle. And it isn't over yet, so we may still pull this off. That would be great, I guess. I just find I dont really care.

My hope for this team is that Allvin can find a way to bring back an even stronger team next year. We are gaining valuable playoff experience no matter what happens. And no, I dont think we are a true Cup contender, yet. Ya ya ya anything is possible, I get it. But I just dont care. I will jump for joy for each victory, and would be ecstatic if we won the Cup. But really, the officiating has finally done me in. I just dont care.

Rant over. Goodnight!
The only HW the Canucks need
donlever
MVP
MVP

Post by donlever »

Hockey Widow wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 12:53 am I have finally reached a point where I can honestly say, " I no longer enjoy watching hockey"....

But I finally feel done. I just dont care.
Welcome to donlever circa 2011.
DeLevering since 1999.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Brilliant coaching by Knoblauch , he basically double shifted McDavid and Drausaitl as so not to be heading home down 2 games to nothing. Not sure how long he can do this but McDavid and Draisaitl seem to have endless energy to burn. The rest of the Oilers line up is beatable man to man but we need to figure out an answer for those two. Their PP is unstoppable. It was a tough night for our D, the puck was a hot potato all night, couldn’t seem to make a pass, receive a pass. Squeezing their sticks. The team looked gassed the last half of the game, it astounded me how energized the Oil looked and exhausted we looked. Petey’s core strength right now is at an all time low, he’s been better but he’s still looking like Bambi on ice out there. He came to camp strong as a Bull but as the season wore on after the all star game he wore down.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

If the Canucks keep up the punishing pressure they'll fatigue as this one goes long. It happened much the same the past 2 playoffs for them

I don't care what coach says, the pipe cleaner has been playing injured and is slowly coming round to form. As this series winds on I expect his game also returns to form
If you need air...call it in
donlever
MVP
MVP

Post by donlever »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 8:02 am I don't care what coach says, the pipe cleaner has been playing injured and is slowly coming round to form. As this series winds on I expect his game also returns to form
Cuz Straws Parable of Quantum Insanity.....
DeLevering since 1999.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 8:02 am If the Canucks keep up the punishing pressure they'll fatigue as this one goes long. It happened much the same the past 2 playoffs for them

I don't care what coach says, the pipe cleaner has been playing injured and is slowly coming round to form. As this series winds on I expect his game also returns to form
I don’t buy it, I think over the course of the season his body type wears down, he needs to figure out how to stay strong over the course of the season and post season. He’s thin, I remember Nedved had the same issue. Elias is considered “elite talented” in this league, the current state of conditioning of the Oilers “elite talent” look night and day when compared to Petey’s. He comes to camp strong as his off season work out is very disciplined but he wears down over the course of the season. He still looks weak on his skates.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

In the end, it was a horrible loss. The reffing sucked the life out of the game, we let the oil dictate the 3rd, then a fluke goal ends it in overtime. Just a mess. The oil seemed to treat G2 like an elimination game - and prove that they could actually beat us.

Looking to game 3, I think we can pull the positives out of this one. Silovs played a good game, and should stay in. The oil had to put their top line out for almost half the game, which I don't see them doing back home. We can play a solid road game and stick with these assholes. Down to a best of 5, and I still like our chances.
donlever
MVP
MVP

Post by donlever »

The Canucks "elite superstar" needs to step his game up (if he can) or I don't see it.

2 Grade A forwards playing at high level versus whatever Petey is doing does not equate to success.

Imho.

BTW...who calls the game on SN650...listened to a few minutes of the 3rd on the way home from the airport.

Better call than most of what I hear on tv these days.
DeLevering since 1999.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Goaltending is a wash with our backups vs there starter.

Blueline is tilted our way, we have a much stronger and more effective defensive corps.

200 foot game? That's ours.

Forward group? McDavid is good enough that he alone tilts the scales in Edmonton's favour.

Draisaitl is a helluva player, but without McDavid he and JT Miller are on par.

It is VERY VERY clear that Pettersson is NOT built for playoff hockey. He gets manhandled and simply cannot create his own space. If the Canucks can find a taker that gives an appropriate return this summer they should pull the trigger.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 8:02 am If the Canucks keep up the punishing pressure they'll fatigue as this one goes long. It happened much the same the past 2 playoffs for them

Why would you play him injured down the stretch when you know you will need him in the playoffs? That makes no sense.