Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Tciso
MVP
MVP

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Tciso »

Johnny Gaudreau signed for 6 years, $6.75/year, according to Bob Mckenzie. A full million less than I expected.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Tciso wrote:Johnny Gaudreau signed for 6 years, $6.75/year, according to Bob Mckenzie. A full million less than I expected.
New precedent for 'all-star' nhl players after their ELC? used to be 6x6 set by alllllll the Oilers 1st overalls and forsberg.

Be interesting if Kucherov is next for that.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Mëds wrote:
Strangelove wrote:
First off, aren't you one of the whiners who complain about a bleak future?

... and that Benning sucks in every way humanly possible?
No. I'm not.
Oh, good to know, my apologies good sir!
Mëds wrote: I don't like the contract he gave Sbisa AFTER we saw what we had there.
Unfortunately it was either overpay Sbisa or let him walk (thanks to the his previous contract).

I guess Benning figured we didn't have the depth to let just him walk.

Also Benning must've figured Sbisa is a good placeholder/mentor for the transition.

Do we need to spend to the cap with every contract being great bang-for-the-buck during a transition?

It's only a 3-year deal and management has made it clear they're focused on the future.

(yes, while hopefully "competing" in the interim)
Mëds wrote: I didn't like the contract he gave Dorsett, thought it was a 25% over-payment.
Well even if you're right, that's only $600K, look at the other great contracts I've pointed too...
Mëds wrote: I think Sutter's contract and NTC is going to hurt us down the line, hope I'm wrong, I wasn't against the trade for him, just didn't like the extension.
"down the line"??

You keep saying this and I keep telling you it's not full NTC "down the line".
Mëds wrote: I also didn't like the trade for Prust, but that's because I liked Kassian, and I still think that's a trade that the Canucks are the losers of.
Kassian subsequently went unclaimed on waivers.

Prust looked like he had one more good year in him (until that brutal ankle injury).

One year later, Kassian is lucky to have a contract (took a pay-cut) and Prust looks done.

Seems ludicrous to whine about this trade, Benning had to get Kassian away from the kids...
Mëds wrote:
Strangelove wrote: Thirdly, the correct math would be $5M + $5M - $4.394166M = $5.605834M

(Guds cap-hit right now $3.5M + Bo's cap-hit $894,166 = $4.394166M)

Meaning, even if you're right about $5M each, the extra cap-hit would only be $5.605834M (not $10M).
Quite right. I didn't consider that.
Good form ole boy, takes a 6'7" man to admit he's wrong! :D

That's an extra $4.4M in cap-space you hadn't considered.

And cap-space is what this present discussion is all about...
Mëds wrote: And if Demko isn't ready, and Markstrom can't handle 50+ games, then I will bet that Miller is extended for 2 years.....and he won't come cheaper than $4M.

I just don't think we are going to have LOTS of cap room.
If Markstrom turns out to be merely a 1A goalie, we're not going to spend $4M on a 1B.

We have some good goalies in the system on cheap contracts...
Mëds wrote: Sutter may or may not be overpaid. I do think he's been given too much term though. The fact that he was given a full NTC makes me think he should have seen $500K less.
Again, it's not a full NTC "down the line".
Mëds wrote: Who's bitter? Calling a spade a spade isn't necessarily bitterness.
Well I've already apologized for lumping you in with Lumpy (aka Blob).

Although you do seem just a tad bitter. :wink:

Perhaps "jaded" would be a better word...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Strangelove wrote: Kassian subsequently went unclaimed on waivers.

Prust looked like he had one more good year in him (until that brutal ankle injury).

One year later, Kassian is lucky to have a contract (took a pay-cut) and Prust looks done.

Seems ludicrous to whine about this trade, Benning had to get Kassian away from the kids...
Yeah, like I said, I liked Kassian, I understood the trade, just didn't like it.

And if we hadn't given up the 5th we still would have been looking at a trade that saw us get a player who played 35 games for us and registered 7 points. The guy we gave up didn't even get a sniff of NHL ice until he had been waived and then traded to Edmonton.....he still put up 8 points in 36 games.

This was just a case of Benning seeing this as addition by subtraction.....I'm not buying that here. Prust's situation here and subsequent dismissal to Utica didn't do much for the organization.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Mëds wrote: This was just a case of Benning seeing this as addition by subtraction.....I'm not buying that here.
Well you should buy it.

He went unclaimed on waivers, end of story.

After a year of trying to trade him, Yakupov got a 3rd, welcome to the real world.

Prust would have likely given us a great year if not for that injury, just the way she goes...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Strangelove wrote:
Mëds wrote: This was just a case of Benning seeing this as addition by subtraction.....I'm not buying that here.
Well you should buy it.

He went unclaimed on waivers, end of story.

After a year of trying to trade him, Yakupov got a 3rd, welcome to the real world.

Prust would have likely given us a great year if not for that injury, just the way she goes...
I'm just not buying the addition by subtraction.

I do buy that based on his problems, he needed to be away from youngsters. I think we would have been better served by sending him to rehab and keeping him.

True he went unclaimed, but then Edmonton traded for him. Albeit for Scrivens, and curiously Chiarelli didn't claim him on waivers for free, but whatever.

Prust is now out of the league, regardless of an injury he can't even make the leaves this season. Kassian would make the leaves. We gave up a 5th an a young asshole with hands for a 4th line grinder on his way out.
vic
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by vic »

PA Parenteau on waivers...1.25m for one season, UFA next.

A RHS who can slot onto the top 6, help on the PP and can be trade bait at the deadline.

I say put in a claim.

Edit: Teemu Pulkkinen also on waivers, 23 year old RW skill brought up in the Red Wings organization. Another good option.
Cherry Picker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Cherry Picker »

Claim both Ps. I think both are better than Etem. Send down Virtanen, waive Etem. Makes a competition between the two Ps. One slots in Rodin's place on Horvat's line. The other is 13th forward. Recall Virtanen and Stecher when injuries occur.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Hockey Widow
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Hockey Widow »

vic wrote:PA Parenteau on waivers...1.25m for one season, UFA next.

A RHS who can slot onto the top 6, help on the PP and can be trade bait at the deadline.

I say put in a claim.

Edit: Teemu Pulkkinen also on waivers, 23 year old RW skill brought up in the Red Wings organization. Another good option.

The fact we have not released either Ruutu or Skille tells me we have put in a claim for someone and are waiting to see if we get them before we decide on the PTOs, both of whom practiced with the team today. Of course we could sign either one after the season starts as they are effectively not on our roster until signed.
The only HW the Canucks need
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Hockey Widow wrote:

The fact we have not released either Ruutu or Skille tells me we have put in a claim for someone
Willy wants his mini me Linden Vey back asap. No body rides the stache like Lindy
If you need air...call it in
Hockey_God
AHL Prospect

Post by Hockey_God »

Hockey Widow wrote:

I say put in a claim.

The fact we have not released either Ruutu or Skille tells me we have put in a claim for someone and are waiting to see if we get them before we decide on the PTOs, both of whom practiced with the team today. Of course we could sign either one after the season starts as they are effectively not on our roster until signed.

You don't need any inside connections to figure out GMJB has put in a claim for mini mite Seth Griffith. Jimbo drafted him in 2012 and he played a couple years in London with Bo. He looks like he is on the cusp of becoming the next Patrick Kane...or Ryan Shannon. :mrgreen:
Hockey Widow
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Hockey Widow »

Hockey_God wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:

I say put in a claim.

You don't need any inside connections to figure out GMJB has put in a claim for mini mite Seth Griffith. Jimbo drafted him in 2012 and he played a couple years in London with Bo. He looks like he is on the cusp of becoming the next Patrick Kane...or Ryan Shannon. :mrgreen:
Good insight. You could be right although he is a smurf and a RW.
The only HW the Canucks need
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Wonderful AHL numbers for sure.
Can't discount the possibility but wonder if the Canucks can support a small forward, although his height to weight ratio is solid.
Be somewhat of a move-around up front, but hey, you never know.
Comparison to PK is a bit of a stretch but that kind of thinking is very cool..
"evolution"
Hockey_God
AHL Prospect

Post by Hockey_God »

Hockey Widow wrote:
Hockey_God wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:

I say put in a claim.

Good insight. You could be right although he is a smurf and a RW.
leaves' snatch Griffith from Jimbo.
vic
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by vic »

Waivers

Wild get Pulkkinen - 13 other teams passed
Devils get Parenteau - 10 other teams passed