Ray Emery - My New Personal Jesus

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Meerschaum
MVP
MVP

Ray Emery - My New Personal Jesus

Post by Meerschaum »

Sure, Luongo is still God.

But after last nights Sabres-Sens scrap, I'd have to say that Rayzor comes a close second. Let's just call him my new personal Jesus.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulyEnFh9Wvo

Holy crap, just check out the guy's smile and attitude as Biron comes after him - he looks like a kid in a candy store. Then, check his footwork - in pads no less - as he starts throwing them. Emery's a golden gloves boxer and it sure showed there.

But when, Peters - A fricken goon, for God's sake! A professional jawbreaker! - comes after him, that's where my respect for Emery increases about a thousand-fold. Does the guy turtle? No! Despite the pads, he keeps smiling and laughing and starts the dance with Peters. His takes more than a few punches, but still manages to land a couple.

Wow! What a performance by a goaltender!

Kudos to Ray Emery.

Peters should hang his head in shame for having the temerity and gutlessness to chase after Spezza and then after a goalie - who's already fricken fought.

And Ruff proved what I think everybody always suspected - that he's a totally classless rube and hick. Blatantly sending out his goons to run well know tough guys like Heatley and Spezza (let alone a goaltender), simply because Drury was taken out with a clean check after admiring a pass for too damed long has got to be one of the most bush-league stunts I've ever seen from a coach. Go back to the trailer park, Ruff, you inbred Hillbilly puke!

Look for McGratton and Neil to pull a Bertuzzi on Briere and end his career in the rematch. Ruff will have noone to blame but himself.
Last edited by Meerschaum on Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Modo vincis, modo vinceris.
West Coast Jets Fan
CC Veteran

Post by West Coast Jets Fan »

" a good clean check"......maybe from the Steve Moore highlight reel....Drury may have been admiring his float pass, but that was hardly clean......its almost a full 2 seconds after he dumps it, and Neil comes from the other side of the ice.
He may not have used the elbow, but the intent was certainly there.

Naslund gets hit similarly and this city screams bloody murder....Drury gets tagged by a bigger dirtier player than Moore ever could be, and it's a "good clean check". Give your head a shake.....and please use that overused phrase that hockey is a contact sport when you rebut.

On a different note.....gotta love Emery and his smile. He held his own against Peters and laid a beatdown on Biron.
1972-1996

3 Avco Cups
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

Gotta agree with the Emery shpiel, but Neil's hit on Drury clean? No ways man.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
trevor corey
MVP
MVP

Post by trevor corey »

Does this move A.V. up in the race for coach of the year?
"put some Preperation H on the guy and he'd disappear"
Brian Burke
Bartman
MVP
MVP

Post by Bartman »

Full marks for Emery. Looked like he really enjoyed those scraps. I would love to see what the guy can do without his pads and oversized Jersey!

As for the hit. Was it dirty? I wouldn't call it that. It wasn't an elbow or a head shot. But it was late and Drury was is a vulnerable position. Neil should have held up and Buffalo was right to reply like they did.
R.I.P. Luc.
levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded »

What a great fight, that is EXACTLY what the NHL needs. More brawls like that. That is what the casual fan is attracted to. I can't wait to watch the rematch on Saturday. Sometimes the New Schedule can be a good thing.
cerios
CC Veteran

Post by cerios »

Naslund gets hit similarly and this city screams bloody murder....Drury gets tagged by a bigger dirtier player than Moore ever could be, and it's a "good clean check". Give your head a shake.....and please use that overused phrase that hockey is a contact sport when you rebut.
While I agree the hit was late and a charge and thus dirty, comparing it to the Moore hit on naslund is moronic. Naslund hadn't touched the puck, was elbowed and charged by a player who had placed a hit every bit as dirty the very game before on St louis. Why do people insist on forgetting that Moore DID have a history of dirty hits, in fact a very impressive list when you consider his short career.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

It's comparable to the Nazzy only in that the players were both very vulnerable. Moore's was dirtier because Naslund was more vulnerable than Drury. I don't buy the "he didn't have the puck" argument, it was right there in front of him, and he's putting himself in a bad way by leaning into it and not skating onto it.

As far as the Buffalo/Ottawa game...

I think this is yet another reason the instigator penalty should be removed. It's not protecting or penalizing anyone. Instead of jumping Neal and taking the instigator, the retaliation comes at the expense of other star players. I think that's completely unacceptable.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

well, I just hope that Drury's career doesn't suffer as much as Naslunds did from the Moore hit. Seriously, since the hit and resulting Elbow/wrist injury and concussion Naslund has never been the same. The more I think about the effect to Naslund's career from the Moore hit, the more I agree with removing the instigator rule (well, I guess I have never agreed with the instigator rule), and the better I think of Bertuzzi for sacrificing himself and his career for his friend - even if it was unintentional.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
supercanuck
CC Veteran

Post by supercanuck »

Yeah kudos to Emery AND Biron both.

As for the hit, it may be (borderline) legal under the nhl rules but the NHL has got to do something about these headshots, and maybe the PA should maybe "work" on the players' respect for each other. They lost one superstar in Lindros? Who may the next one be?
Meerschaum
MVP
MVP

Post by Meerschaum »

supercanuck wrote:As for the hit, it may be (borderline) legal under the nhl rules but the NHL has got to do something about these headshots, and maybe the PA should maybe "work" on the players' respect for each other. They lost one superstar in Lindros? Who may the next one be?
Headshot???

Despite Ruff's protestations, there was no elbow and no contact to Drury's noggin on that play.

It was a shoulder to shoulder check. The head injury happened because Drury hadn't properly strapped his helmet on and his head hit the ice.
Modo vincis, modo vinceris.
mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by mattola »

twas a clean hit. its 2 seconds in replay I suppose. but in real time that is a checked player. your looking for something that isnt there if you think it was dirty and dont compare this to moore/naslund. big difference. Neil didnt lower or raise any major part of his body. he came in with shoulder ready. Its mind boggling that someone can compare this to moore hitting naslund. really.
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

LOL @ Emery's smiling. :lol: :

What impressed me more however, was how Buffalo/Lindy Ruff IMMEDIATELY went after the Sens after the hit (on the next shift). That Ottawa/Buffalo brawl reminded me of the Canucks/leaves series from 1994.

One thing I was disappointed with regarding the Canucks last game, was how NO ONE came to the aid of Kevin Bieksa when he got hit (and temporarily left the game).

Although the hit was clean, I would have liked to have seen someone go after that guy just out of principle.
supercanuck
CC Veteran

Post by supercanuck »

Meerschaum wrote:
supercanuck wrote:As for the hit, it may be (borderline) legal under the nhl rules but the NHL has got to do something about these headshots, and maybe the PA should maybe "work" on the players' respect for each other. They lost one superstar in Lindros? Who may the next one be?
Headshot???

Despite Ruff's protestations, there was no elbow and no contact to Drury's noggin on that play.

It was a shoulder to shoulder check. The head injury happened because Drury hadn't properly strapped his helmet on and his head hit the ice.
From what I saw in the replays his shoulder hit him on the head. Just the way I saw it...
SRsez
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by SRsez »

It was a legal, if dirty hit. The dirty part comes because the guy is vulnerable. Not anything like Moore on Naslund, so give your head a shake.

But guess what? This isn't the first time Drury got smoked for being an idiot. So in reality, if he didn't learn the first, second or third time, whose really at fault here, kiddies?

And it's not the first time Jackass Ruff responded in the same moronic way. But will the NHL suspend Ruff? Not freaking likely, even though he does every thing the NHL wants to get out of the game.

But on a side note of gross stupidity:Wil the CBC still force us to watch Laffs/Flyers, or will they re-sched the rematch?

And Emery took a huge step in every hockey fans hearts & minds.
Real hockey fans refuse to listen to the Idiot(tm)