Next seasons roster - Part 2

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Who should the Canucks resign or bring back for next season?

Sutter
4%
Vesey
No votes
Virtanen
1%
Bowey
4%
Chatfield
5%
Edler
15%
Hamonic
21%
Juolevi
20%
Holtby
9%
Dipietro
22%

Total votes: 81

Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Next seasons roster - Part 2

Post by Cherry Picker »

Part two needed.
You can choose up to 10.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Re: Next seasons roster - Part 2

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Edler (at 2m plus incentives)
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Why is Holtby on this list? He's signed for next year already.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Mëds wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 9:20 pm Why is Holtby on this list? He's signed for next year already.
He could be traded or bought out...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Strangelove wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 9:30 pm
Mëds wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 9:20 pm Why is Holtby on this list? He's signed for next year already.
Or picked in the expansion draft.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Strangelove wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 9:30 pm
I would do that if it were me. I’d trade holtby for that last year on his contract.

That Cup is going to have have Demko/Dipietro carved in it if it’s going to be won in the next 5 year window
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

If Benning gets his three scoring lines, and signs two players that can score effectively in the top nine (Thing 1 and Thing 2), and Jake and Loui are bought out, the lines should end up something like this.

Line 1 (But maybe not the best line on the team)

(Thing 1 or Podkolzin) Pettersson Boeser

Line 2 (Depends on the position played by the player that Jim brings in)

Hoglander Miller (Thing 1 or Podkolzin)
or
Miller (Thing 1) Hoglander
or
(Thing 1 or Podkolzin) Miller Hoglander

Line 3 (Third line in name only as they would get more time going head-to-head with other team’s top line.)

Pearson Horvat (Thing 2 or Podkolzin)

Line 4 (These players should not start the season in the top nine)

(Motte/Highmore) (Graovac/Beagle) (MacEwen/Bailey/Roussel)

Abbotsford (Depth that needs seasoning who could be better choices for the top nine when injuries occur)

Gadjovich Lind Lockwood

(Hamonic or an upgrade) Hughes
Schmidt (Edler or an upgrade)
Myers Rathbone
(Maybe add a Schenn or Stecher depth type as the seventh defencemen)

Abbotsford injury call-ups:
Woo Juolevi

Demko
Dipietro / Holtby
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

In an ideal world:

Ferland: LTIR

Beagle: LTIR

Roussel: LTIR

Virtanen: terminated

Eriksson: Abbotsford

Of course it's doubtful the league would let us get away with all of this but we can dream :D
el rey del mambo
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Cherry Picker wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 1:19 pm

(Hamonic or an upgrade) Hughes
Schmidt (Edler or an upgrade)
Myers Rathbone
(Maybe add a Schenn or Stecher depth type as the seventh defencemen)

Abbotsford injury call-ups:
Woo Juolevi
]
Looking over that D projection after watching the 1st round and what strikes me is how done like dinner Alex Edler is. The successful teams all have a mobile enough defense to get to the pucks on the ring arounds and Eddy is no longer able to catch up to those at all. (Myers isnt either but thats another discussion)

Teams that are winning own the walls in their own end. Theyre sending the wingers to block 100% of the passes from down low to the points. Theyre cutting off 100% of pucks going along the walls behind their net. They're leaving the lower % passes to the middle open but absolutely stopping all passes along the walls.

Vancouver conversely employs an "abandon the walls" strategy that allows them to be hemmed in their own end for large portions of games and by extention....picking in the top 10
If you need air...call it in
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

It would be so easy for the Canucks to simply offer up Edler a two year deal in or around the 2 to 2.5 range but I hope they decide to move on. Was a crazy year for the team. Hard on everyone but it seems pretty clear Edler shouldn't be playing the big minutes at this stage.
Hamonic played well at times and Rathbone is a keeper but the board battles Edler has been so proficient at will need to be replaced.
Cannot see that being Juolevi any time soon. Myers does it but takes penalties.
Eddy's outlet pass, which he has been competent at throughout the years, dried up this year. Was still fine last year.
"evolution"
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

There is no way Edler drops off that much and as quickly as it appeared.

Some of that could be attributed to nagging injuries for all we know.

And we know it was a tough season.

I say he bounces back a wee bit.

I've been saying it all along:

Sign him to that 2-yr deal, making him UFA at X-draft time (check)

... and then sign him to a series of 1-yr performance-based 35+ 1-yr deals (we'll see).

More icetime for Ratbones and more games for OJ next season please.

We need to know what we have in these two as we transition out of the rebuild.

Re-sign Hambone to a 1 or 2 year bargain deal, keep Schmidt, upgrade on Myers if possible (doubtful).

Implement a new system that supports the dee better, yada, yada, yada...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Strangelove wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 12:03 pm There is no way Edler drops off that much and as quickly as it appeared.

... and then sign him to a series of 1-yr performance-based 35+ 1-yr deals (we'll see).

More icetime for Ratbones and more games for OJ next season please.

Re-sign Hambone to a 1 or 2 year bargain deal, keep Schmidt, upgrade on Myers if possible (doubtful).

Yeah he could have been banged up. But we all saw his play nosedive through the year. Could have been the condensed schedule, or nagging injuries like you say. But he looked very old and worn down towards the end. Like Gomer after a bender.

I’d like to see him finish his career here. Get his 100 goal plus, get his 1000 games in.. etc. I’d sign him to a one year deal for 2 million. Trade Olli for a centre prospect or demote him and play him 25 min a night to see if he can skate at this level. Break Ratbones in with T Bone.

Agreed with all that say the defensive system as well as coverage has to improve greatly. Some of this is on the coaches and some on the personnel but the fact remains they give up way too many scoring chances against.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Strangelove wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 12:03 pm There is no way Edler drops off that much and as quickly as it appeared.

More icetime for Ratbones and more games for OJ moving next season please.

Edler has always been a bit hot and cold. He's 35 and unable to play the big minutes. It is entirely possible that he drops off to what we saw this year, particularly towards the end.

Sure, he's worth a $2.5M deal that see's him in the 4-6 spot, preferably the bottom pairing. But I don't know that I'd be giving him a whole bunch of performance bonuses unless he's willing to agree to some pretty unrealistic targets.....last thing we need is to keep deferring salary cap into subsequent years at this point. That's the sort of thing contenders do.

There are UFA defensemen out there that would be worth targeting if Benning indeed can miraculously clear a bunch of cap space. The cap isn't budging, and there will certainly be a few out there willing to either roll the dice on a one-year contract for a bigger payday next season, or sign for less and get a guaranteed thing in a global economy that is far from certain.

Player/Shoots/Team/Age @ Start of Next Season/2020-21 Cap

Ryan Murray LT - CBJ (28) $4.6M
David Savard RT - CBJ+TB (31) $4.25M
Adam Larsson RT - EDM (29) $4.16M
Brandon Montour RT - FLA (27) $3.85M
Patrick Nemeth - DET+COL (29) $2.8M
Jamie Oleksiak LT - DAL (28) $2.14M
Travis Hamonic RT - VAN (31) $1.25M
Erik Gustafsson LT - PHI+MTL (29) $3M
Dougie Hamilton RT - CAR (28) $5.75M
Tyson Barrie EDM RT - (30) $3.75M
Derek Fobort LT - WPG (29) $1M

A few of these guys would be looked at only as depth signings, at best the 6th spot.....however even those players would give you close to what we got from Edler this year.

Hamilton and Barrie would only be worth looking at if there was a left-sided acquisition that could balance them out and form a solid stay-home/puck-mover pairing, particularly in the latter's case.....and the price would have to be right obviously.

Guys like Larsson and Savard would be solid additions to this team if they came with the appropriate drop in pay. Either of them could pair with Huggie Bear as the stay-home guy on the RT side, Hamonic also fits into this category as well, and may be an even cheaper option.

Montour and Murray are solid second pairing guys, neither of which will blow anyone's socks off, but both compete hard and are steady players.

On our current blueline the only guy that really stands above most of this list is Hughes, and he was a defensive nightmare this season.

Myers can stay or go, I'm pretty indifferent on him. In fact I'd say that a couple of the names on this list could replace what we got out of him for at least $1M less.....in which case let's hope Ron Francis prefers him over some of our younger, cheaper, guys who are nothing more than potential at this point.
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

If they had replaced Green, I would have been okay with bringing Edler back. Green has no concept of load management. He’ll play Edler every game and give him big minutes. Edler’s lack of scoring is showing that his game has deteriorated significantly. He is likely no better than a two million average replacement level player. His lack of foot speed means he gets consistently beat to the outside at which point he hooks or hauls down the player beating him and takes a penalty. Considering there is no offence coming from Edler, I’d be fine paying someone like Jordie Benn or Slater Koekkoek 1.5 million to replace him on the third pairing. They don’t need any more offensive types on the back end, as long as Edler’s replacement can defend and kill penalties, I think it’s time to move on.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Like the previous management, this GM needs to upgrade the tools and the coaches need to wield the tools with a new plan and a better system.

Bringing back the same old, another year slower and more decrepit is not the answer.

If Edler wants to come back as the backup goalie, then I'd consider it. The guy can't score his 100th goal but has caused 3 times the amount of goals to be scored against because he won't let his goalies do their job.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!