2021 Off-Season Predictions

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

What do you think will happen this summer? (not what you want to happen)

Poll ended at Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:11 pm

The Aquilini Family will sell the team.
No votes
Jim Benning and Travis Green will be shown the door.
7%
Benning goes but Travis Green will be resigned.
4%
Benning stays but Green is not resigned.
52%
Aquilini, Benning and Green will all be back.
37%

Total votes: 27

Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

2021 Off-Season Predictions

Post by Cherry Picker »

What do you think will actually happen this summer? (Not what you want to happen)
Add any predictions about signings or letting people walk below.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: 2021 Off-Season Predictions

Post by rats19 »

Ahh shit I voted before I read your post....

Actually it’s what I want and also what I think will happen

Benning back green gone
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

I want Benning back but Green gone but i think both return
If you need air...call it in
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

As Green is not signed then it is clear in my mind that he is not coming back.

JB is on a very thin rope and if he screws up again I do not see him lasting past Christmas.

I picked JB back and Green gone if it was not clear enough.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Take a blowtorch to the whole thing except Ian Clarke.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Vin Tanner wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 12:45 pm Take a blowtorch to the whole thing except Ian Clarke.
Maybe it should be what we want to happen. There’s a small part of me that thinks Benning might finally be done, and god knows he’s earned it, but Fredo loves his puppet shows. That’s probably more what I want. He’s like the NDP decade in the 90’s. Everyone was asleep at the wheel while they did their thing.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Right now all the local talking heads are fanning the flames that Benning will be gone...

I dunno, I was joking around when I said I blame Aqualinguini but listening to some of the pints being made it sounds like there isn’t a huge line of quality candidates willing to replace Benning following orders

It’s concerning
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

ukcanuck wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 6:24 pm Right now all the local talking heads are fanning the flames that Benning will be gone...

I dunno, I was joking around when I said I blame Aqualinguini but listening to some of the pints being made it sounds like there isn’t a huge line of quality candidates willing to replace Benning following orders

It’s concerning
When the source of the rumours is Sekeres, there may not be much credibility. Friedman parrots everything he hears. He’s a rumour slut. Wasn’t Friedman all over the Quinn Hughes IV rumour that Hughes denied. I’ll take Sekeres and his Gillis agenda with a grain of salt.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Freidman is 100% a rumour slut. Good description. I used to refer to him as a Shit Talker
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

I think that Benning and Green have both become better at their jobs over the last couple years.

Travis is getting youngsters into the lineup, trying new things, and still respecting the vets (Edler with the PP time as an example) while having a team still be competing with slugs like Boyd, Vesey, and Michaelis in the lineup... that shit harkens back to the days of Gaunce, Chaput and Megna.. coincidentally we are in the same place in the standings with that talent level.

Benning, having signed some crap UFA contracts early, has (mostly) learned from that in the last couple years and is signing less crappy contracts recently. His RFA resignings have been spot on, and I liked how he walked away from long term contracts to Markey and Tanev. Took balls, but it was the right decision.. I mean, they didn’t save Calgary, so they would not have saved us. And Calgary’s goon eat that shit for years to come. His drafting is spot on, but that is offset by his inability (exposed by bad injury luck a few times) to recoup draft picks at TDD..

In the off season, I see Benning getting more time (a season, perhaps 2) to keep the team growing (argue what you will, but in the end he has put a young core in place, and is starting to get surrounding pieces) but I see Green parting ways at seasons end. Green won’t be fired, just walks as no new contract is offered for optics sakes. The fans and the media will demand some sort of optical improvement and Green is the scapegoat. Then, they resign Clarke after Green is gone. (They fucking well better!)
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Aquabros like the long-game, as said much, and when all these frickin' prospects start to reach their prime (26-27), that's the long-term contender era, and the pretty great drafting will keep prospects developing & continue the contender status for many years, not just a few years and done.

Why I think they'll give Benning at least another year, if the team reaches the playoffs once again, he'll be re-signed.

But if I was a ruthless vato, I'd let the entire coaching staff go, there's a lot of good coaches available.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

I haven't voted yet because I don't see a 'Benning and Green gone; Francesco Aquilini takes over a head coach/ general manager/president of hockey ops portfolio' option on the table. But that is exactly what I see happening. If you've been following closely you couldn't help but notice Mr Aquilini gradually usurping one hockey department position after another. Whether it be Laurence Gilman's contract negotiation duties, Trevor Linden's POHO responsibilities or Judd Brackett's key US amateur scouting chores it seems to me that Mr Aquilini has taken over steadily more and more of the hockey department with the ultimate goal, once he feels he has gained sufficient expertise in all areas, of consolidating everything under his own control.

This kind of direct ownership control of every minute detail of the franchise's operation will be unprecedented in the modern era and goes well beyond anything the like of Jerry Jones or Tom Dundon have accomplished. These last seven years of struggle have served to ready Mr Aquilini for his bid for sports immortality and the eerie silence out of Canucks headquarters these past few days foreshadows a bold new chapter in professional sports franchise history that will undoubtedly be hotly debated for years to come.
el rey del mambo
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

Megaterio Llamas wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 12:13 am I haven't voted yet because I don't see a 'Benning and Green gone; Francesco Aquilini takes over a head coach/ general manager/president of hockey ops portfolio' option on the table. But that is exactly what I see happening. If you've been following closely you couldn't help but notice Mr Aquilini gradually usurping one hockey department position after another. Whether it be Laurence Gilman's contract negotiation duties, Trevor Linden's POHO responsibilities or Judd Brackett's key US amateur scouting chores it seems to me that Mr Aquilini has taken over steadily more and more of the hockey department with the ultimate goal, once he feels he has gained sufficient expertise in all areas, of consolidating everything under his own control.

This kind of direct ownership control of every minute detail of the franchise's operation will be unprecedented in the modern era and goes well beyond anything the like of Jerry Jones or Tom Dundon have accomplished. These last seven years of struggle have served to ready Mr Aquilini for his bid for sports immortality and the eerie silence out of Canucks headquarters these past few days foreshadows a bold new chapter in professional sports franchise history that will undoubtedly be hotly debated for years to come.
This could be ushering in a whole new era in sport. You buy the team, you run the team - solo. Pretty sure this would spread like wildfire throughout the league. Talk about your cost-cutting. Now that you’ve uncovered this goal, I have to admit, if I were owner, I’d do the same thing. Get rid of all the staff. Replace food services with upscale Japanese style vending machines. Weaponize those Boston dynamic robots to attend to security. Do all the medical procedures yourself. Could you imagine the fun giving stitches while the teammates held down your victim. You could try fixing Eichel’s neck just by pulling and twisting until you snapped it back into place. Nothing like a hands on owner, amirite. Fire the scouting staff and pick players you like from their picture, how their name sounds, their size, their hometown, and of course the write-up in Bob Mackenzie’s draft preview book. It’s all we’ve ever needed on this forum to become the drafting gurus we all know we are. The only answer you need to give the media to any question is, “Shutup, it’s my team. You don’t like it, go earn some real money and buy it off me.”

Now, if this is the true plan, my respect for Francesco Aquilini has just gone through the roof. He’s figured out how to remove the worst part of sports ownership - other people. Sorry ML for not adding this option to the poll, but you and Francesco were two steps ahead of me with even imagining this awesome possibility.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

These last 2 posts by the picker and megs have greatly enhanced the buzz from my sunday morning sunrise wake 'n bake extravaganza
If you need air...call it in
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

:lol: :lol: :mex: :mex: :mex:
el rey del mambo