Brandon Sutter extension

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Brandon Sutter extension

Post by Cherry Picker »

If they go with Miller at centre, I think Jake will be with Horvat and Pearson on a shut down third line. They played well in that role this season against top lines in Edmonton and Toronto. Horvat will have to give up some scoring. He won’t have a choice with Pearson and Virtanen on his wings, but he probably plays more minutes than the other centres in that role.

I’d want to try Podkolzin with Petey and Brock even if he won’t score as much as Hoglander. You wouldn’t want Hoglander and Boeser on the same line because neither has the high end speed to forecheck effectively. Even if he isn’t a sniper, Podkolzin can pass and has forechecking ability, so just retrieving the puck to scorers like Petey and Brock may lead to a successful line.

That leaves Miller with Hoglander and a question mark on the second line. Miller has the speed that Hoglander lacks, so he can forecheck. Gaudette looked good with Miller in their limited few games together. He might be okay if he can carry more weight. Other possibilities for a second line winger could be Lind, MacEwen, or someone acquired or signed from outside the organization. But Thing 1 is up in the air. Pearson took the role of Thing 2.

Podkolzin Pettersson Boeser
Hoglander Miller Thing1
Pearson Horvat Virtanen
Motte Beagle MacEwen

Thing 1 could be Gaudette, Lind, MacEwen an unsigned UFA, or longshots like Jasek, Gadjovich, Lockwood.
Maybe they can draft Berniers, Lysell or Eklund when they win the lottery. :D I’m so damn funny sometimes.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

Thing 1 could also be motte, he was part of an extremely high scoring first line in college, so he has the ability.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Cherry Picker wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:33 am If they go with Miller at centre, I think Jake will be with Horvat and Pearson on a shut down third line. They played well in that role this season against top lines in Edmonton and Toronto. Horvat will have to give up some scoring. He won’t have a choice with Pearson and Virtanen on his wings, but he probably plays more minutes than the other centres in that role.

I’d want to try Podkolzin with Petey and Brock even if he won’t score as much as Hoglander. You wouldn’t want Hoglander and Boeser on the same line because neither has the high end speed to forecheck effectively. Even if he isn’t a sniper, Podkolzin can pass and has forechecking ability, so just retrieving the puck to scorers like Petey and Brock may lead to a successful line.

That leaves Miller with Hoglander and a question mark on the second line. Miller has the speed that Hoglander lacks, so he can forecheck. Gaudette looked good with Miller in their limited few games together. He might be okay if he can carry more weight. Other possibilities for a second line winger could be Lind, MacEwen, or someone acquired or signed from outside the organization. But Thing 1 is up in the air. Pearson took the role of Thing 2.

Podkolzin Pettersson Boeser
Hoglander Miller Thing1
Pearson Horvat Virtanen
Motte Beagle MacEwen

Thing 1 could be Gaudette, Lind, MacEwen an unsigned UFA, or longshots like Jasek, Gadjovich, Lockwood.
Maybe they can draft Berniers, Lysell or Eklund when they win the lottery. :D I’m so damn funny sometimes.
I'm coming around to this idea - I don't know about Horvat's offence dropping off that much, considering how he produced with Pearson-Eriksson last year, and you're replacing Hoglander with Virtanen.

I think maybe Motte, Virtanen, Gaudette cycle through that #3RW in that scenario, though of course we all hope Virtanen finally grabs it.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Richardstroker69 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:26 am
Vin Tanner wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:03 am
ESQ wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:54 am
Vin Tanner wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:40 pm Lol let’s put the top left winger at centre and leave the team with two quality wingers.

But day gott thwee qwauwity centos now.. :look: :roll: maybe the two decent wingers can triple shift.
I think Podkolzin will be a quality winger. That makes 3 for 4 spots.

If you won't even admit that Pearson is a quality 3rd line winger, you're far more triggered than I realized.
Nobody is triggered Skippy except perhaps yourself. Pearson is a decent 3rd line guy. I think it’s asinine to put three of my best 4 forwards at centre. It’s an opinion, suck it up. Without JT Miller who plays with Petey and Brock? Who plays with Miller? Horvat gets Piglander and Pearson... that’s ok. The Russian is an unknown and even if he does come in and replicate Piglander’s year, they are still two quality scoring wingers away from a legit top 9.
Pearson has produced like a low end first liner though. Where do you get this 3rd line stuff from?
I subscribe to a top 9. Pearson was on a 27 point pace this year and tailed off last year. He will 29 when the season starts and is not getting better or quicker. He had six empty net goals last year. He isn’t a first liner on any team. Over their last 100 games, Pearson has 18 fewer points than Tyler Toffoli.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Motte, Virtanen and Gaudette in the top 9. Sounds like a fucking juggernaut!!!!
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

Vin Tanner wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:58 am
Vin Tanner wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:40 pm Lol let’s put the top left winger at centre and leave the team with two quality wingers.

But day gott thwee qwauwity centos now.. :look: :roll: maybe the two decent wingers can triple shift.

If you won't even admit that Pearson is a quality 3rd line winger, you're far more triggered than I realized.
Nobody is triggered Skippy except perhaps yourself. Pearson is a decent 3rd line guy. I think it’s asinine to put three of my best 4 forwards at centre. It’s an opinion, suck it up. Without JT Miller who plays with Petey and Brock? Who plays with Miller? Horvat gets Piglander and Pearson... that’s ok. The Russian is an unknown and even if he does come in and replicate Piglander’s year, they are still two quality scoring wingers away from a legit top 9.
Pearson has produced like a low end first liner though. Where do you get this 3rd line stuff from?
I subscribe to a top 9. Pearson was on a 27 point pace this year and tailed off last year. He will 29 when the season starts and is not getting better or quicker. He had six empty net goals last year. He isn’t a first liner on any team. Over their last 100 games, Pearson has 18 fewer points than Tyler Toffoli.
Do you think this year is the start of a downward trend? He had a downswing in Pittsburg then rebounded back to a 40 point guy. 29 isn’t that old.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

If JB signs Sutter for any deal, then I will use my last real quarter and call him a taxi.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Ummm. With the exception of last season his career best was 44 points. Last year he was on pace for 53 for the first time in a 10 year career. His career totals make him a 37 point per 82 game season winger.

That’s first line material to you?

Ok Dick.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Richardstroker69 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:47 am Thing 1 could also be motte, he was part of an extremely high scoring first line in college, so he has the ability.
Comparing college to the NHL is laughable.

Especially when the NHL numbers for the player in question don’t warrant the comparison at all.

Oh wait. You’re trolling.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Mëds.... these folks don’t like facts. They’ll string your 6 ft 11 carcass from a tree for questioning Elmo. I got attacked all day just for saying I didn’t hate the Pearson signing compared to some of the other abortions that Elmo has crafted.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

^ He's all yours now Mëds, he's cut the rest of us off, pull him in from the ledge and get his ass in the psych ward pronto!
____
Try to focus on someday.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Vin Tanner wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:16 pm Mëds.... these folks don’t like facts. They’ll string your 6 ft 11 carcass from a tree for questioning Elmo. I got attacked all day just for saying I didn’t hate the Pearson signing compared to some of the other abortions that Elmo has crafted.
Oh I know. There’s some serious hopeful optimism going on here.

CherryPicker has 4 legit, proven, top-6 forwards spread through our top-9 (5 if you count Pearson as a legit top-6)..... and that’s an acceptable lineup for some people it seems.

Hog is having a good rookie season and we’re all optimistic that Pod will spot in, but only true homerism pencils him into a top line role like it’s a foregone conclusion that he’s gonna be a 60+ point winger. Then we have Thing-1 (another completely unknown asset that will magically bring us 50 points) and Tuna rounding things out. Did I mention our second highest scoring center is on the 3rd line?

Bottom line, Pearson in a 3rd line role isn’t a terrible contract. Especially so if Beagle is done and Sutter is gonzo. But team needs in the bottom-6 are speed and sandpaper, he brings neither.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Vin has become the corner version of Statler and Waldorf.

Its perfectly ok to see the bright side of the half full glass btw.
If you need air...call it in
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:17 am Vin has become the corner version of Statler and Waldorf.

Its perfectly ok to see the bright side of the half full glass btw.
Facts are tough to comprehend for some folks. If these folks don’t like the facts they are presented with they get upset and call people negative etc instead of actually looking at the facts. That takes too much work. Not sure why you’re all bent out of shape my guy. Most of this nonsense was Doc and I going back and forth, then ESQ trying to get get his jabs in there. I’d be happy to converse with you about the facts I was attempting to present before all the nonsense started.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Assuming the canucks prospects are all doomed to failure is hardly facts man. Who knows, maybe gadjovic blossoms, or Lind or Mcdonut.

I worry you might be taking this shit too seriously sometimes i guess lol. I should know better haha
If you need air...call it in