2021 TDD

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

BingoTough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: 2021 TDD

Post by BingoTough »

Hockey Widow wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:23 am when Benning decides a younger player no longer fits he will move them out for next to nothing just to clear the roster.
This is my frustration, it seems as though he looks at how he values the asset and looks for an asset of comparable value rather than going off how the open market might view the asset. Now, the assumption that other hockey people should value Gaudette the same as canucks fans is probably not correct, but it sure seems like Benning lacks the savvy negotiating skills to convince other teams that the assets he's looking to move are of greater value than what he gets.

Hard to know but at this point given his track record, he doesn't seem like a great negotiator (trades/signings) and probably other GM take advantage of that.
theman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by theman »

BingoTough wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:56 pm
Hockey Widow wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:23 am when Benning decides a younger player no longer fits he will move them out for next to nothing just to clear the roster.
This is my frustration, it seems as though he looks at how he values the asset and looks for an asset of comparable value rather than going off how the open market might view the asset. Now, the assumption that other hockey people should value Gaudette the same as canucks fans is probably not correct, but it sure seems like Benning lacks the savvy negotiating skills to convince other teams that the assets he's looking to move are of greater value than what he gets.

Hard to know but at this point given his track record, he doesn't seem like a great negotiator (trades/signings) and probably other GM take advantage of that.
Kind of like how I feel about it, has he ever 'sold high' on a player? Perhaps Gudbranson but can't think of anyone else off hand.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Vanek for Motte worked out
If you need air...call it in
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:25 pm Vanek for Motte worked out
Miller for a 1st, Schmidt for a 3rd, etc, he's made some great moves along with the not-so-great...

EDIT: Oops I guess we were talking about selling high on a player, sorry too much speed reading...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Strangelove wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:32 pm
Miller for a 1st, Schmidt for a 3rd, etc, he's made some great moves along with the not-so-great...

EDIT: Oops I guess we were talking about selling high on a player, sorry too much speed reading...
I'm sure there are some who believe he was high when selling
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:25 pm
theman wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:58 pm Kind of like how I feel about it, has he ever 'sold high' on a player? Perhaps Gudbranson but can't think of anyone else off hand.
Vanek for Motte worked out
Kesler, Burrows, Hansen, Bieksa, Lack, Garrison...
____
Try to focus on someday.
BingoTough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by BingoTough »

Strangelove wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:32 pm

This is what keeps me from being too outraged. I actively won't spend the time to enumerate and evaluate all of his deals, especially vs other GMs, so I don't get too invested in being unhappy Benning. I have a sense that he's net negative, but bleh.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Hes a drafting genius not a scheister
If you need air...call it in
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

His ability let go of players and move on is one of his decisive characteristics I like about him. And it's hard to sandbag another GM. I mean he has had some good trades and some bad but can you honestly list trades that he ended up gifting a player to another team?
The only HW the Canucks need
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Me too, HW. I do like his decisiveness... but sometimes I don't immediately agree because it seems overly impulsive.

I honestly can't think of anyone who was gifted to another team from his trades or "giveaways".

At first glance, it might look like that for a few games or a few months. My examples would be a Forsling or McCann, who obviously is going to look good right away with a deep Pens team, playing with the likes of Malkin.

But all eventually show their true colors and then you realize JB could just see there was no future and acted quickly to move on.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Hockey Widow wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:41 pm His ability let go of players and move on is one of his decisive characteristics I like about him. And it's hard to sandbag another GM. I mean he has had some good trades and some bad but can you honestly list trades that he ended up gifting a player to another team?
I’m Gaudettes case, he had decided he wasn’t going to resign him, so he got what he could.

Asset management.

Yet the STB still says he is wrong no matter what he does.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Looks like he sold high on Dahlen and got a very nice prospect in Karlsson.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Hockey Widow wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:23 am Ya the Gaudette move is a little of a mystery. I would have preferred a 5th or 6th round pick.
I am a Hockey Gaud fan and I really liked what we had @ centre ice with Petey, BoHo, Sutts, Beags, JT Miller sometimes and Gauds. We're prob going to lose Sutts, so having Gauds around would have been ideal. Not sure we have much in the pipeline @ centre, can only think of C.Focht and L.Karlsson, but they're not exactly blue chip prospects.

Not really sure what JB is thinking. Maybe he figured Gauds lvl is pretty much the same as Vesey and T.Boyd and he picked those guys up for nothing. Maybe he was pissed @ Gauds for bringing Covid to the team, so he had to get rid of him. Maybe he thought Gauds was spending too much time playing video games on Twitch and wasn't fully invested in being a pro hockey player. *LOL* Who knows. I'm not really sure why we would get rid of him now though. Sure, he had a terrible start like most of our young supporting cast, but he was starting to come around with some points and scoring some big goals. He's also cheap, still fairly young and plays an important position, still lots of time to improve.

I personally would have given Gauds at least another year, see if getting a healthy diet and getting over that eating disorder would help bring his game to another lvl. Let him have an offseason where he can build strength, maybe pack some weight and see how he does then. If he has another year like this, then yeah, sell low or just cut let him walk a la Hutty/Stech. Highmore doesn't exactly get my mojo going, feels like another Baercheese type, but we'll see how he does. Maybe he really is a speed and 2-way demon, but I think Gauds has all the tools to become a poor man's Jeremy Roenick and this move can come back to bite JB in the arse. :P
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Of course it can come back to bite him. Every move he makes has that potential, and for every GM. But really, name one trade where it has come back to bite him because a player turned into the type of player we had hoped he would? Could this be that trade. Yep. But then again......
The only HW the Canucks need
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:01 pm
Hockey Widow wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:23 am Ya the Gaudette move is a little of a mystery. I would have preferred a 5th or 6th round pick.
I am a Hockey Gaud fan and I really liked what we had @ centre ice with Petey, BoHo, Sutts, Beags, JT Miller sometimes and Gauds. We're prob going to lose Sutts, so having Gauds around would have been ideal. Not sure we have much in the pipeline @ centre, can only think of C.Focht and L.Karlsson, but they're not exactly blue chip prospects.

Not really sure what JB is thinking. Maybe he figured Gauds lvl is pretty much the same as Vesey and T.Boyd and he picked those guys up for nothing. Maybe he was pissed @ Gauds for bringing Covid to the team, so he had to get rid of him. Maybe he thought Gauds was spending too much time playing video games on Twitch and wasn't fully invested in being a pro hockey player. *LOL* Who knows. I'm not really sure why we would get rid of him now though. Sure, he had a terrible start like most of our young supporting cast, but he was starting to come around with some points and scoring some big goals. He's also cheap, still fairly young and plays an important position, still lots of time to improve.

I personally would have given Gauds at least another year, see if getting a healthy diet and getting over that eating disorder would help bring his game to another lvl. Let him have an offseason where he can build strength, maybe pack some weight and see how he does then. If he has another year like this, then yeah, sell low or just cut let him walk a la Hutty/Stech. Highmore doesn't exactly get my mojo going, feels like another Baercheese type, but we'll see how he does. Maybe he really is a speed and 2-way demon, but I think Gauds has all the tools to become a poor man's Jeremy Roenick and this move can come back to bite JB in the arse. :P

I just read on Twitter (so take it for what it’s worth), but 8 Canuck players have unfollowed Ole Adam. Horvat, Petey,Boesser among them.
Perhaps he really was a virus in the room?
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.