Coaching Change? Yay or Nay.

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Should Benning try righting the ship by making a change behind the bench? If so with who?

Total votes: 0

SKYO
MVP
MVP

Re: Coaching Change? Yay or Nay.

Post by SKYO »

ESQ wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:10 pm Rather than flip over half the roster, there is a system out there that can take the high-end players we have, and not force them to be square pegs in round holes. Boudreau seems to me to be the most likely candidate to accomplish that.

But new system, new coach, I'm not sure either will flip the switch for Petey. Something is off. I think the team is deep enough to put him in a different spot as he works back into NHL form. Maybe Hoglander-Miller-Boeser, Pearson-Horvat-Podkolzin, Dickinson-Pettersson-Garland?

But maybe I'm wrong, and Petey will be like Stamkos coming out from under Melrose. Maybe BB or another coach gets Petey to move around the ice looking for a shot, or to move the puck more quickly in the offensive, or to take the one-timer on occasion.

In most cases I think of the coaching change as "Change for Change's sake", and I somewhat feel that way now, however with how good the team is on paper I think Change for Change's Sake should be on the table.
Boudreau, Babcock or Julien.

3 quality head coaches avail..
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 4:58 pm There’s a clip of Boeser and Green arguing at the bench, anyone seen. I think Greener has the course, time for a change, the top dawgs are turning him out. I’m tired of Lunchbuckets inability to coach the big dawgs, he can only coach Lunchbucket - skates on pucks types
Brocks definitely not buying what Travis is selling. https://streamable.com/845l4u .. There's more then likely plenty more disagreements that no one sees but the results on the ice for games is telling. They've tuned his ideas out. The structure is deplorable. We may not be a cup contender but we're better then what has happened this year to date. I don't see how this can go on without a shake-up.
"evolution"
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Micky wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:42 pm
Chef Boi RD wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 4:58 pm There’s a clip of Boeser and Green arguing at the bench, anyone seen. I think Greener has the course, time for a change, the top dawgs are turning him out. I’m tired of Lunchbuckets inability to coach the big dawgs, he can only coach Lunchbucket - skates on pucks types
Brocks definitely not buying what Travis is selling. https://streamable.com/845l4u .. There's more then likely plenty more disagreements that no one sees but the results on the ice for games is telling. They've tuned his ideas out. The structure is deplorable. We may not be a cup contender but we're better then what has happened this year to date. I don't see how this can go on without a shake-up.
The big dawgs ain't diggin the young coach in Green no more, it's time for a VET coach in Pat Quinn/Vigneault type....I mean Bruce, Babcock, Julien.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Not the Cock SKYO ffs
He's a fucking nutjob
If you need air...call it in
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:56 pm Not the Cock SKYO ffs
He's a fucking nutjob
Exactly what these chilled out dudes need, as they collect their hundreds of thousands dollars checks every two weeks.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

SKYO wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:54 pm
Cousin Strawberry wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:56 pm Not the Cock SKYO ffs
He's a fucking nutjob
Exactly what these chilled out dudes need, as they collect their hundreds of thousands dollars checks every two weeks.
No. They need a demanding and hard coach, not a wing nut who plays mind games and makes roster decisions and awards ice time based on egomaniacal whims. You want them to be motivated to play here, not motivated to mutiny against the coach.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Practices, by this time, should be to iron out rough spots, work on plays specifically designed for the next opponent. It's November 1st and our team's practices mirror ones you'd see at training camp. Still experimenting, still attempting to come up with even one line that will stay together, barring injury.
It isn't hard to see the confusion on the ice whilst watching Canuck's games. Maybe a bit of an exaggeration but for the most part this year to date, our guys have looked frustrated, even angry at times. They want to do better. They know they can, so WTF is the problem? My bet would be confidence.
Fear of being demoted to a lesser minute line or sitting out the next game even. My belief is you have to let players play to their strengths as opposed to putting them in situations that they aren't particularly good at, (Boeser net front presense), (JT Miller in a defensive role), etc.
One could also question why so many players are "just plain frustrated". Green needs to re-evaluate his methodology, or simply put guys in a position to succeed. Ya, that's gonna happen.
"evolution"
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Is Benning allowed to hire another head coach?
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Topper wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:18 am Is Benning allowed to hire another head coach?
21 other NHL teams are onto their 3rd head coach+ since 2014, so yeah JB is "allowed" to get another coach.

Hell some are onto their 4th, 5th head coach since 2014, notably Calgary got Darryl Sutter as their 5th head coach since JB started in 2014, and they are off to a perfect start.
Curmudgeon
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Curmudgeon »

SKYO wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:53 pm Canucks gotta snatch up Julien before another team does.
Like Vin and Mëds said, they'd have to re-tool a decent portion of the lineup, and they're not exactly overflowing with those types of players in Abby.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Curmudgeon wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:48 am
SKYO wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:53 pm Canucks gotta snatch up Julien before another team does.
Like Vin and Mëds said, they'd have to re-tool a decent portion of the lineup, and they're not exactly overflowing with those types of players in Abby.
Fuck Vin and Mëds aha, lets get a new coach and let's go!
Curmudgeon
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Curmudgeon »

SKYO wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:56 am
Curmudgeon wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:48 am
Fuck Vin and Mëds aha, lets get a new coach and let's go!
Lol, they have to do something. Rangers game presents a very real possibility of making it an 0-4 start at home, and the season's going to slip away a lot quicker than most people think.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

SKYO wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:42 am
Topper wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:18 am Is Benning allowed to hire another head coach?
21 other NHL teams are onto their 3rd head coach+ since 2014, so yeah JB is "allowed" to get another coach.

Hell some are onto their 4th, 5th head coach since 2014, notably Calgary got Darryl Sutter as their 5th head coach since JB started in 2014, and they are off to a perfect start.
How many head coaches does a GM get?

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Hartley was in Calgary before the GM got there so he inherited him. And Bill Peters is a bit of a unique situation. So Treliving had Gulatzan, the interim fella and now Sutter. SKYO thinks these GM’s should get 4 or 5 chances to get the coach right. Doesn’t usually happen like that especially when your team is 2/7 in playoff appearances and stumbling out of the gate in year 8.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

I just ran through the list of GM's with similar or longer tenures to Genius Jim. Three coaches is about the norm.

More than three are the Stars - 4 (since 2013), Habs - 5 (since 2012, + Gainey's two interim stints) and Blues - 4 (since 2010).

Those with only two are Avs (since 2014), BJ's (since 2013), Canucks (since 2014), and Jets (since 2011).