Canucks News N Notes 2020-2021

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Canucks News N Notes 2020-2021

Post by Madcombinepilot »

I think we can say that the 2019-2020 season was a success for the Canucks. Most media picked us as a lottery team (usually bottom 5), but most of us here said we could compete for a playoff spot if we were healthy. A second round appearance made the season successful.

This year is an entire different kettle of fish.

We have not a lot of cap space, and a lot of players will be on the move.

This years goal is to make the second round (or better - all the way!) but not take on bad contracts while clearing space for the Hughes and Pettersson contracts. It would be ideal to get those lads signed now, so we know EXACTLY what we are working with, but we can guess they will sign from 8-10 million each, and on long term deals. I don’t think it’s in the teams best interest to do bridge deals with these guys and possibly be on the hook 3 years from now with one of them wanting 12 million a year. Lock them up and get some team certainty. It would be awesome to get them both 8x8, but anything less than 9 each is a win for JB.

Miller - Petey - Boeser
Pearson - Horvat - Toffoli (UFA)
Roussel - Gaudette - Virtanen (RFA)
Motte (UFA) - Beagle - Erickson
Baertschi - Sutter - MacEwen
Leivio (UFA)

Hughes - Tanev (UFA)
Edler - Myers
Benn - Stetcher (UFA)
Juolevi - Rathbone

Markstrom (UFA)
Demko

There is a whack of players in Utica needing contracts as well, and some that will push for spots on the club. Podkolzin, Hoglander, Rathbone and Rafferty (Plus others) will all be pushing for spots Over the next 2 years.

Low priority contracts to Move this year:
Sutter and Baertschi
These are the low priority because they all expire at the end of the season. Sutter can still play a bit, but if we are looking to improve the team this year, they both have to go for whatever low return we can get for them.

High priority:
Erickson and Beagle.
These are high priority because they are still here when the lads need to be signed.

There is also a bunch of moving parts that will go into this. Edler (6mil), Pearson (3mil - but buddies with Toffoli) will be UFA when the signing happens.

JB needs to be building the team for 2 years from now.

Edit* I wasn’t quite finished this, pushed submit instead of safe draft, but it’s complete enough to start the discussion!
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks News N Notes 2020-2021

Just read on Twitter that the Canucks qualified Chatfield and Bailey.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Raging Fury
MVP
MVP

Post by Raging Fury »

I'd tamper my expectations a bit and say that a top 3 Pacific Division finish would be a passing grade this season, for me anyways.

It's next season when all the bad contracts comes off the books that our window opens in my mind. It also coincides with our next wave of high end prospects coming in to make an impact. That's when I expect us to go beyond what we have accomplished this past season.
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 2:03 pm Just read on Twitter that the Canucks qualified Chatfield and Bailey.
Cool. Those guys are handy to have around as high quality Comets that can fill in with the Canucks as injuries hit. Both can skate like the wind and still possibly have a little bit of NHL upside.

For the coming season, I would be happy sneaking into the playoffs with the big step up coming the following season.

*Your opening post up is on the money, other than Motte being I believe an rfa, not a ufa.
el rey del mambo
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Dhaliwal reporting that Guillaume Brisebois will be qualified as well.
el rey del mambo
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 2:00 pm I think we can say that the 2019-2020 season was a success for the Canucks. Most media picked us as a lottery team (usually bottom 5), but most of us here said we could compete for a playoff spot if we were healthy. A second round appearance made the season successful.

This years goal is to make the second round (or better - all the way!) but not take on bad contracts while clearing space for the Hughes and Pettersson contracts. It would be ideal to get those lads signed now, so we know EXACTLY what we are working with, but we can guess they will sign from 8-10 million each, and on long term deals. I don’t think it’s in the teams best interest to do bridge deals with these guys and possibly be on the hook 3 years from now with one of them wanting 12 million a year. Lock them up and get some team certainty. It would be awesome to get them both 8x8, but anything less than 9 each is a win for JB.
Yup it's nice the analysts got the Canucks as playoff performers now, a rising young team brimming with talent & now players are wanting to join in on the action as UFA's or on NMC's and want to play with Petey, Hughes, Horvat etc.

Players like to join competing teams that have a chance to win, it's a tale as old as time. But with winning comes a cost as players salaries go up, so the cap moves wizardry comes into play. Fortunately a lot of contracts are set to expire in the next two years.

I know everyone wants em locked up to 8 year deals, but getting maxed contracts immediately rarely works because of the cap, the teams that win Cups and multiple championships, bridge 5 years at a lower cap, squeezing every dollar they can to keep precious depth.
Not only that but success keeps those franchise players here for good, so one not need to worry about what happens in 5-6 years as if the team keeps winning, Petey, Hughes, Horvat re-sign no problem at a salary increase, likely with a bit of a hometown discount to keep the success rolling on and them being happy here in this city and team management plus the quality relationships built as a member of the Vancouver Canucks franchise where you will be treated great even till retirement as the Sedins can attest to - where they were treated like HHOF's here.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Lol less peyote SKYO. Yikes :?
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:28 pm Lol less peyote SKYO. Yikes :?
Says the ring leader of the 8 year gang.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

SKYO wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:01 pm
Madcombinepilot wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 2:00 pm I think we can say that the 2019-2020 season was a success for the Canucks. Most media picked us as a lottery team (usually bottom 5), but most of us here said we could compete for a playoff spot if we were healthy. A second round appearance made the season successful.

Yup it's nice the analysts got the Canucks as playoff performers now, a rising young team brimming with talent & now players are wanting to join in on the action as UFA's or on NMC's and want to play with Petey, Hughes, Horvat etc.

Players like to join competing teams that have a chance to win, it's a tale as old as time. But with winning comes a cost as players salaries go up, so the cap moves wizardry comes into play. Fortunately a lot of contracts are set to expire in the next two years.

I know everyone wants em locked up to 8 year deals, but getting maxed contracts immediately rarely works because of the cap, the teams that win Cups and multiple championships, bridge 5 years at a lower cap, squeezing every dollar they can to keep precious depth.
Not only that but success keeps those franchise players here for good, so one not need to worry about what happens in 5-6 years as if the team keeps winning, Petey, Hughes, Horvat re-sign no problem at a salary increase, likely with a bit of a hometown discount to keep the success rolling on and them being happy here in this city and team management plus the quality relationships built as a member of the Vancouver Canucks franchise where you will be treated great even till retirement as the Sedins can attest to - where they were treated like HHOF's here.
The trend of top young stars getting bridge deals seems to be in the past. Especially when said players are already the team's leaders and best players.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Jim Benning talking to the media:
http://player.sportsnet650.ca/

"What we're trying to do is if we can improve and make the team better for next year, those are our goals"

"We've spent a lot of time here the last 3 weeks contacting all the other teams and get a feel for where the market is at. We still have Marky who we're talking about and trying to figure out. If that's something we can't figure out we're going to look at the FA market or a trade"

"The QO's are due on the 7th, we're talking about that. We'll send them out in the next day or so. We've sent some out already, and we'll send more soon."

"Leivo's on the road to recovery. He's been working out and skating every day. I talked to our doctor's the other day, he's not far off. Depending on what happens here in free agency he's a guy we'd like to sign and bring back. Everything with his rehab is going good."

Jim Benning says he still wants to prioritize taking the best player available with the third round pick. Says he may address positional needs in the fifth round and beyond.

"We've done all that planning and we would never take on a contract that we can't figure out how it would play into our cap situation for next season... We've gone through a hundred different scenarios. We've looked at our cap for this year and the next two years."

Benning won't comment on conversations with Coyotes.
"I have discussions with lots of teams in the league ... I don't know where it's going to up going."
Says every call he makes is about doing due diligence.

Jim Benning on acquiring a pick earlier in the draft: “We’ve been working on that for the last couple of weeks... we would like to if possible, but I think it’ll be hard to trade into the 1st round.”
Says he’s hopeful he might trade into the 2nd round yet, but isn’t confident.

On managing cap: "Olli Juolevi looks like he's ready to play, Jalen Chatfield looks like he's ready to play. We have Jack Rathbone who looks ready to push for a spot. Pp front we have Nils Hoglander who is going to come to camp and he could make the team."'

“We’re going to keep working with his agent and see if we can find common ground,” says Jim Benning of negotiations with Jacob Markstrom.
Benning reiterated that Markstrom is the club’s first choice, but they’re prepared to turn to other options if there’s no deal to be made.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Here is the interview with Jim Benning that Skyo listened to live. Starts at about I-hour, -16 min. - 55 sec. TO - 1:47;55.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/650/scott-rint ... the-media/

He sounds cautious yet optimistic some of their own prospects will help out as early as this coming season.
"evolution"
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Micky wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:36 pm Here is the interview with Jim Benning that Skyo listened to live. Starts at about I-hour, -16 min. - 55 sec. TO - 1:47;55.

He sounds cautious yet optimistic some of their own prospects will help out as early as this coming season.
Jesus Gomer. There is already a link to it in Sky’s post.

Your dads run out of the ‘rainbow comprehension’ crayons to put in your lunchbox today, or did you eat them all right before Family nap time?
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:46 pm
Micky wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:36 pm Here is the interview with Jim Benning that Skyo listened to live. Starts at about I-hour, -16 min. - 55 sec. TO - 1:47;55.

Jesus Gomer. There is already a link to it in Sky’s post.

Your dads run out of the ‘rainbow comprehension’ crayons to put in your lunchbox today, or did you eat them all right before Family nap time?
As I said one thread might be the answer. Gomer’s own little play pen so he can cock block himself all he wants. A one stop shop for links, mangled paragraphs and Gomerese musings. :lol:
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

So Scott Rintoul's radio show now focuses on Calgary as well as Vancouver. Who's going to want to listen to that?

What a bizarre idea.
el rey del mambo
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Megaterio Llamas wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:16 pm So Scott Rintoul's radio show now focuses on Calgary as well as Vancouver. Who's going to want to listen to that?

What a bizarre idea.
RimTool is a tool
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau