The Rebuild...

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Re: The Rebuild...

Post by Hockey Widow »

None of those aging vets should see the ice for the last five games. No Sutter, No Beagle, no Eriksson, no Edler, no Rousell. Pair Rathbone and Hughes for shits and giggles. Let Juolevi pair with Myers. Smitty with whoever.
The only HW the Canucks need
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Hockey Widow wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 4:41 am None of those aging vets should see the ice for the last five games. No Sutter, No Beagle, no Eriksson, no Edler, no Rousell. Pair Rathbone and Hughes for shits and giggles. Let Juolevi pair with Myers. Smitty with whoever.
I agree with that. Edler looks tired, and should sit, but he won’t. If he scores a goal, he might sit but without that milestone, he will be in the lineup out of respect for the player.

The rest you mentioned can all sit.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

https://canucksarmy.com/2021/05/14/how- ... ekbjzqeaBY

Are Chef and Vincenzo moonlighting at canucks army?

Kind of a hopeful take on juolevi though...says here juolevi keeps getting turn-styled as a result of successive lower body injuries at the AHL level and hopefully only needs mucho Arnie worthy leg days and Horvat’s skating coach
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

ukcanuck wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 11:38 am https://canucksarmy.com/2021/05/14/how- ... ekbjzqeaBY

Are Chef and Vincenzo moonlighting at canucks army?

Kind of a hopeful take on juolevi though...says here juolevi keeps getting turn-styled as a result of successive lower body injuries at the AHL level and hopefully only needs mucho Arnie worthy leg days and Horvat’s skating coach
Juolevi had one pretty good game where he looked ready. Made his mind up quickly and for the most part, made the right decisions. Got a couple nice blasts from the point too. Next game; different player. Unsure of himself. This has been the problem. At what point do you say "That's all we can do".
"evolution"
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Ive never seen an NHL defenseman struggle with a basic skating mechanical movement that holds him back from becoming a full timer. Its bizarre. Cant they fix that shit
If you need air...call it in
JelloPuddingPop
MVP
MVP

Post by JelloPuddingPop »

Cousin Strawberry wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 1:17 pm Ive never seen an NHL defenseman struggle with a basic skating mechanical movement that holds him back from becoming a full timer. Its bizarre. Cant they fix that shit
Exactly, Bo wasn't exactly a world-class speed skater in his first year - but the difference in his skating the next few years were amazing. OJ should have been able to get at least a half step better now that he has been healthy for a while.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

JelloPuddingPop wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 1:53 pm
Cousin Strawberry wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 1:17 pm Ive never seen an NHL defenseman struggle with a basic skating mechanical movement that holds him back from becoming a full timer. Its bizarre. Cant they fix that shit
Exactly, Bo wasn't exactly a world-class speed skater in his first year - but the difference in his skating the next few years were amazing. OJ should have been able to get at least a half step better now that he has been healthy for a while.
If it wasnt for that one deficiency he would be a great young player.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

I've taken enough power skating and edgework lessons in my life to know that you can always improve your hockey skating, but Bo's improvement may be exception rather than the rule.

It was literally night and day when he returned the next season that I've rarely seen in such a short amount of time. The acceleration but more the top speed improvement was just insane. To me, Olaf's needs are quite different due to position. His edges, agility and transitions need huge work. Also, skating doesn't fix his brain to feet reaction. Some people just don't have that.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Carl Yagro wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 2:27 pm I've taken enough power skating and edgework lessons in my life to know that you can always improve your hockey skating, but Bo's improvement may be exception rather than the rule.

It was literally night and day when he returned the next season that I've rarely seen in such a short amount of time. The acceleration but more the top speed improvement was just insane. To me, Olaf's needs are quite different due to position. His edges, agility and transitions need huge work. Also, skating doesn't fix his brain to feet reaction. Some people just don't have that.
It actually happened mid season in his rookie year. He started slow and lumbering. By playoff time he was a speedster. I agree, not many guys could pull that off. He’s also built like a tank and he isn’t afraid of work.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
JelloPuddingPop
MVP
MVP

Post by JelloPuddingPop »

Vin Tanner wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 2:39 pm
Carl Yagro wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 2:27 pm I've taken enough power skating and edgework lessons in my life to know that you can always improve your hockey skating, but Bo's improvement may be exception rather than the rule.

It actually happened mid season in his rookie year. He started slow and lumbering. By playoff time he was a speedster. I agree, not many guys could pull that off. He’s also built like a tank and he isn’t afraid of work.
I guess one wonders if OJ hasn't developed his "pro-body" enough to support this level of improvement. Too much time injured, or playing fortnite instead of being in the gym, and training with some skills/skating coaches.

At this point, I really don't see a daily NHL player in him. Which is surprising, because from his draft year - wasn't he lauded for his great first pass and hockey mind? All I see is a guy who moves the puck too slow, or slams it off the glass to get it out. He is certainly too slow getting back to the puck, so forecheckers are on him too quickly... which exacerbates all the other issues.

We are going to need some FA help on the back end if we are going to be a better hockey team next year.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Yeah, didn't remember exactly when, but I just remember being shocked at the improvement in literally only months. Never seen that before.

Work ethic alone could not make that happen. A big part of it had to be the skating coach breaking it down and drilling Bo, but that only triggered something naturally innate in Bo.

You probably couldn't apply that to the Sedins. Because if that happened, they would have been monsters.

I see Olaf as very similar to Evan Bouchard. Their IQ and hands are good, but the skating and maybe their defensive attitudes fail them.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Good call .. https://lfpress.com/sports/hockey/local ... hl-stardom
"evolution"
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:08 pm
Island Nucklehead wrote:
Mondi wrote: How good would the team look...with Boesser, Demko, and PATRICK in the lineup next season? Haha!
Honestly? Probably not much better.
But ya gotta admit, win or lose, this city would be pretty fucking jacked about the future of this team? If we could draft Patrick? I could care less if we lost all 80 games next season. That means Jack Wise, Joseph Veleno or that Russian kid in 2018! Some folks are saying Wise is better than Eichel, and Veleno may be the best Canadian forward since McDavid
:lol:
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Vin Tanner wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:55 am
Chef Boi RD wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:08 pm
Island Nucklehead wrote:
Mondi wrote: How good would the team look...with Boesser, Demko, and PATRICK in the lineup next season? Haha!
Honestly? Probably not much better.
But ya gotta admit, win or lose, this city would be pretty fucking jacked about the future of this team? If we could draft Patrick? I could care less if we lost all 80 games next season. That means Jack Wise, Joseph Veleno or that Russian kid in 2018! Some folks are saying Wise is better than Eichel, and Veleno may be the best Canadian forward since McDavid

Savage burn on the chef! Hahaha
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

Seems like Jake Wise has transferred to Ohio State for his senior year after struggling to crack the BU lineup the past three seasons.

Hopefully he gets more ice time in Ohio:

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/268432/jake-wise
el rey del mambo