The Official Dave Ayres CC "All Thing Leaves" thread

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Re: The Official CC "All Thing Leaves" thread

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

ESQ wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:03 am
Chef Boi RD wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:56 am [

Sure did. When prohibition ended in the states a lot of Vancouver cross border rum runner/bootleggers were left with large amounts of unsellable stock due to loss of their biggest market - America, so one individual bought up most of this insellable stock at a rate and sold it under the table while working as a waiter at the Columbia Hotel DTES around 1940 and used those earnings to buy a well known establishment a couple blocks away.
Who's that, John Jacob Astor?
Nonno bikerdude
If you need air...call it in
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:13 am

Sure did. When prohibition ended in the states a lot of Vancouver cross border rum runner/bootleggers were left with large amounts of unsellable stock due to loss of their biggest market - America, so one individual bought up most of this insellable stock at a rate and sold it under the table while working as a waiter at the Columbia Hotel DTES around 1940 and used those earnings to buy a well known establishment a couple blocks away.
Nonno bikerdude
Yes, ole Nono.

A street savy individual apparently, died when I was 3’ high. When he was at the school of hard knocks (Okalla Prison), taking the fall for his old, old man when the coppers raided his illegal booze operation on Prior St., when he was in prison ole Nono ended up being the personal driver for the Warden. Anyhow he capitalized on the ending of prohibition in the states, buying up a whole lot of unwanted booze stock that made the Melbourne Hotel (now the 5) purchase possible, the city was filled with rum runners down on their luck at the time.

Doc talks about the coppers not liking his peeps in Clark park, they most certainly didn’t like ole Nono and ole grand Nono
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

[/quote]

Image 8-)
[/quote]

[/quote]

Image 8-)
[/quote]

Didnt the dude at the end get shot and killed in the movie?
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Chef Boi RD wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:38 am
The Brown Wizard wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:13 am

Nonno bikerdude
Yes, ole Nono.

A street savy individual apparently, died when I was 3’ high. When he was at the school of hard knocks (Okalla Prison), taking the fall for his old, old man when the coppers raided his illegal booze operation on Prior St., when he was in prison ole Nono ended up being the personal driver for the Warden. Anyhow he capitalized on the ending of prohibition in the states, buying up a whole lot of unwanted booze stock that made the Melbourne Hotel (now the 5) purchase possible, the city was filled with rum runners down on their luck at the time.

Doc talks about the coppers not liking his peeps in Clark park, they most certainly didn’t like ole Nono and ole grand Nono
My mom was a nurse in the 70s and 80s at Central City Mission down on Abbott by Woodies. I used to bus down there sometimes after school and met some of the old timer pisstanks that called the DTES home. It wasnt the meth zone then that it became more recently. There were some real characters back then...Do you remember Vic who ran a cafe by army and navy? I think it was called Vics. I went there all the time and it just as safe as north burnaby was back then
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Dude hung out at Funky Winker Beans
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:13 pm

My mom was a nurse in the 70s and 80s at Central City Mission down on Abbott by Woodies. I used to bus down there sometimes after school and met some of the old timer pisstanks that called the DTES home. It wasnt the meth zone then that it became more recently. There were some real characters back then...Do you remember Vic who ran a cafe by army and navy? I think it was called Vics. I went there all the time and it just as safe as north burnaby was back then
Funnily enough, Vic's became a Waves coffee chain about 7 years ago, there have already been 2 murders there - plus untold numbers of ODs in the bathrooms.

Something tells me ol' Vic didn't have such a high bodycount in his 40-50 years there.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Don’t remember Vic’s, so long ago, but wandered around everywhere down there. My dad paid one of the old drunk bums who lived upstairs, old Ray was his name with a case of beer to watch over me and my brother when Dad had to chip in on parenting. Ray walked us everywhere, Oppenheimer park, main and Hastings, great experiences for a child let alone naked women and scraps in the parking lot out back. Old Ray was drunk passed out by noon, wasn’t much of a babysitter. This was my childhood, while my buddies in north van went fishing and camping with their dads
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

ESQ wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:30 pm

Funnily enough, Vic's became a Waves coffee chain about 7 years ago, there have already been 2 murders there - plus untold numbers of ODs in the bathrooms.

Something tells me ol' Vic didn't have such a high bodycount in his 40-50 years there.
Its hard to believe what its all become. I took my daughter to chinatung to newtown bakery last summer cuz i used to love the bbq buns in that place. All of chinatown has become the skids now. The chinese businesses used to chase the booties out of there once upon a time. I guess theyve given up now
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:42 pm
ESQ wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:30 pm

Its hard to believe what its all become. I took my daughter to chinatung to newtown bakery last summer cuz i used to love the bbq buns in that place. All of chinatown has become the skids now. The chinese businesses used to chase the booties out of there once upon a time. I guess theyve given up now
It’s disgusting down there now, I joke about my experiences down there as a kid. I was down there every weekend in the 70’s, running around unattended at Oppenheimer park while watching the old man play baseball there, it was nothing like it is today. It’s quite sad to me.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

olpaddy wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:26 pm Image
Image 8-)
Image 8-)

(1:13 mark)
____
Try to focus on someday.
olpaddy
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by olpaddy »

Strangelove wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:47 pm
olpaddy wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:26 pm Image
Image 8-)
Image 8-)

(1:13 mark)
8-)
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:52 pm I was down there every weekend running around unattended at Oppenheimer park
So nothings changed
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:20 pm Dude hung out at Funky Winker Beans
Blobbee turned tricks for a room and a flap DTES in his hay day down at ole Funky Winker Beans
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »