Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

5thhorseman wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:59 am
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:47 am
SKYO wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:38 am
Uncle dans leg wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:25 am Skyo that sounds like confidence building horseshit fed to the press. The reality is he isnt that good.
I'll take the managers opinion who actually is invested in the team and it's players, as the development/GM guy wouldn't just say bullshit for nothing, it's his job to be unbiased and professional/realistic in his assessment of a player, he also said Juolevi's defense needs to improve, but he's improving & getting better the longer he's there, and is their top dman, plus he leads all rookie dmen in the AHL in points and is ranked 9th in dman points in the entire league, that's not a player who "isn't that good".
He was picked 5th overall and most of his draftmates are in the league for 2-3 years already. Some of them are among the leagues best young players
Why don't you try comparing only with other D drafted in the same year for a more accurate assessment.
MaceVoy, Chychrun, Sergachev, Girard, Mete, Lajoie
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

micky107 wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:25 pm Memory lane; D prospects to be drafted 2016.
https://www.nhl.com/news/top-10-defense ... -280964406
Fuuuuuuck.

Mccavoy? I didnt know he was in there. Or Sergachev. Or Chychrun. Fuck Fuck Fuck.

FUUUUUUUUCK!
If you need air...call it in
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

SKYO wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:03 pm lol udl.

And blob, as proven time and time again, not EVERY player develops at the same rate, especially dmen and goalies, with notable mention to power forwards, plus add in the Euro factor that adds a bit of time as well.
That’s great. Tkachuk should have a head start of a couple hundred points on him by the time he pays an NHL game.

You’re right not every prospect develops at the same speed. This nonsense that power forwards and d men take longer to develop is a load of shit just like the fact that he’s European is garbage. Paine and Petterson say hello
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Ya'll were hating on Virtanen all these years now he's developed basically, now it's whose the next guy to lay your hate on I see. :hmmm:

Juolevi hasn't even played one NHL game yet - as the team is not rushing him (they learned), so let the kid develop, OJ will be a great addition to the team that is severely lacking quality talent on defense, he'll be better than all the fringe dmen on the team that's for sure and will get more points then every current dman on the team when it's all said and done, up there with Edler in any case.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:33 pm
Uncle dans leg wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:25 am Skyo that sounds like confidence building horseshit fed to the press. The reality is he isnt that good.
I'll take the managers opinion who actually is invested in the team and it's players, as the development/GM guy wouldn't just say bullshit for nothing, it's his job to be unbiased and professional/realistic in his assessment of a player, he also said Juolevi's defense needs to improve, but he's improving & getting better the longer he's there, and is their top dman, plus he leads all rookie dmen in the AHL in points and is ranked 9th in dman points in the entire league, that's not a player who "isn't that good".
He was picked 5th overall and most of his draftmates are in the league for 2-3 years already. Some of them are among the leagues best young players
Why don't you try comparing only with other D drafted in the same year for a more accurate assessment.
Nice cherry picking there Blob. Of course, if you're going to compare with only the most successful D then OJ looks like a loser.

We should compare with his entire draft class. Most of OJ's draftmates who are defensemen haven't played an NHL game yet. I see you mentioned Lajoie, who was picked in the 5th round. From the first 5 rounds, only 9 of 50 D have played a game. If you want to look at only the first 2 rounds, 5 of 16. For the first round only, 4 of 9 have played an NHL game. Plenty of D picked in that draft have not yet made the jump.

So yeah, sure looks like it's premature to make an assessment. Let's wait a year or two shall we?
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Reefer2 wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:08 am
Hockey Widow wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:39 am hopefully Juolevi will get a chance this season to play some games. He's already been passed by Hughes and neither has played a NHL game.
Its OK Strang said our D prospects are in great shape, no need to worry be happy.
Stop misquoting me and I might have a little mercy on you for a change Reeterd2.

I mean you never know right? :D

A tad ironic that you are responding to a post about Juolevi and Hughes considering the convo to which you refer.

For the record... YOU SAID... the dee needs to be addressed at some point in the future.

I RESPONDED that the dee has already been addressed

... top 2 picks last draft were dmen (Hughes, Woo)... Rathbone the year before... OJ the year before that... young Tree likely to return.

FYI: Addressed Solved.

No doubt The Genius will continue to address the dee moving forward.

But yeah, the defense has certainly not been completely neglected as you implied…
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

5thhorseman wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:10 pm
Nice cherry picking there Blob. Of course, if you're going to compare with only the most successful D then OJ looks like a loser.

We should compare with his entire draft class. Most of OJ's draftmates who are defensemen haven't played an NHL game yet. I see you mentioned Lajoie, who was picked in the 5th round. From the first 5 rounds, only 9 of 50 D have played a game. If you want to look at only the first 2 rounds, 5 of 16. For the first round only, 4 of 9 have played an NHL game. Plenty of D picked in that draft have not yet made the jump.

So yeah, sure looks like it's premature to make an assessment. Let's wait a year or two shall we?
Name me another d man picked that high or thereabouts that has turned into a top 4 guy who failed to make the NHL after three consecutive training camps. Don’t say Pietrangelo because he had half a year wiped out by concussion. Furthermore he MADE the Blues when he was 20
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:26 pm
5thhorseman wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:10 pm

Name me another d man picked that high or thereabouts that has turned into a top 4 guy who failed to make the NHL after three consecutive training camps. Don’t say Pietrangelo because he had half a year wiped out by concussion. Furthermore he MADE the Blues when he was 20
See, now you're changing the topic.

You said that "most of his draftmates are in the league for 2-3 years already."

I said that a more accurate assessment would be a comparison against only defensemen from his draft class, which you did not disagree with.

So obviously (as per stats in my last post) it's not true that most of his draftmates (that are defensemen) have been in the league for 2-3 years. In fact, most of those that have played in the NHL have less than a year's worth of games under their belt.

As for the training camps, is it really fair to say the first two were failures? He was only a kid, and a slight one at that. For comparison, PK Subban didn't play his first NHL game until he was nearly 21.

Anyways, got to take my kid to hockey practice now. I'll be back for the game :)
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob needs a Robin Williams led intervention in his life like what Matt Damon had in Good Will Hunting - “it’s not your fault, Will, it’s not your fault, it’s not your fault, Will” regarding the abuse he’s gone through at the hands of Jim Benning for drafting Olaf insteaf of drafting the prototypical Blobbee style player in Matthew Tkachuk

“It’s not your fault, Blob”, “it’s not your fault”
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blubber moving goalposts again?

Yeah, he should meet Robin Williams! :D
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

RoyalDude wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:16 pm Blob needs a Robin Williams led intervention in his life like what Matt Damon had in Good Will Hunting - “it’s not your fault, Will, it’s not your fault, it’s not your fault, Will” regarding the abuse he’s gone through at the hands of Jim Benning for drafting Olaf insteaf of drafting the prototypical Blobbee style player in Matthew Tkachuk

In the corner version Doc can play the psychiatrist from east van who moved to abbotsford and got a filipina nanny before wearing spideys skin like a shield and growing crystals in his ovaries
If you need air...call it in
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:49 pm In the corner version Doc can play the psychiatrist from east van who moved to abbotsford and got a filipina nanny before wearing spideys skin like a shield and growing crystals in his ovaries
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Not bad my friend, not bad...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:49 pm
RoyalDude wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:16 pm Blob needs a Robin Williams led intervention in his life like what Matt Damon had in Good Will Hunting - “it’s not your fault, Will, it’s not your fault, it’s not your fault, Will” regarding the abuse he’s gone through at the hands of Jim Benning for drafting Olaf insteaf of drafting the prototypical Blobbee style player in Matthew Tkachuk

In the corner version Doc can play the psychiatrist from east van who moved to abbotsford and got a filipina nanny before wearing spideys skin like a shield and growing crystals in his ovaries
Well an East Vander would obviously know the Dude and Rosie Rottecrotch. VERY well

That whole Spidey clown show is still unsolved. Poster who battles Doc for years all of a sudden agrees with everything he says and then all of a sudden is given the boot. Sorry it doesn’t add up
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Well we all know Spidey has the most twisted sense of humour in the history of mankind.

He wasn't punted by the way...
____
Try to focus on someday.
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

Strangelove wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:10 pm FYI: Addressed Solved.

No doubt The Genius will continue to address the dee moving forward.

But yeah, the defense has certainly not been completely neglected as you implied…
Interesting how a phrase utilizing past tense can morph into present and future like that. :lol:
5thhorseman wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:59 pm I said that a more accurate assessment would be a comparison against only defensemen from his draft class, which you did not disagree with.

I think this statement would be accurate if the comparables were only defensemen, but when JB made the pick he indicated he felt Juolevi was BPA. That would seem to widen the comparables to all players picked (F, D, or G) for the assessment.
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu