Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Hockey Widow
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Hockey Widow »

Great day for Benning. Bergevin and more so Chiarelli now being labeled the worst GMs in the NHL. :mrgreen: we'll see how long that lasts.

People have to realize a couple of things. You don't have locker room or off ice issues like the Oilers have without 29 other GMs knowing about it. Also, Larsson is not as bad as the Internet spin wheel is making him out to be. Talent for talent, on paper, Edmonton lost big time but the game is played on the ice.

Remember with Kassian none of us knew he had already been through stage one of the substance abuse policy until he entered stage two. Now before I am misunderstood, I am not saying any player on Edmonton has been through stage one. Just pointing out that this stuff does not get mentioned publicaly until it reaches a certain level.

Chiarelli had to pull the trigger and he wasn't getting the offers he thought he could. He would have had he tried to trade Hall as soon as he took over.

The Oilers have the luxury of McJesus and the the German and the other Finn to build around. This move signifies a huge huge cultural shift for the team. The team can not afford to keep such distractions for the betterment of all the new young kids. Add in a Lucic type and Demers and whatever else they get in trading a couple of more pieces and this will be Connor McDavid's team straight up. He gets it. He plays the right way and brings no off ice baggage.

On a side note, the Gudbranson trade is getting more positive feedback now :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
The only HW the Canucks need
Hockey Widow
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Hockey Widow »

SKYO wrote:Time to trade with Tampa, they gonna be in cap hell asap with Stamkos signed.

These guys are gonna paid no matter what, probables:

Kucherov $6M-$7M

Hedman $9M, Johnson $6M-$7M per

Killorn.

Next season Palat and Drouin will need new contracts.
You think Hedman gets more than Stamkos?

NHLPA not happy with Stamkos right now but I applaud him. He did the tax math and showed some loyalty.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Hockey Widow wrote:Montreal just inherited a huge cap recapture penalty, potentially.
Assuming Montreal keeps Weber for 2+ years, Once weber retires their recapture penalty would be $8.3M

(spread over the remain number of years in the contract).

At that same point in time, Nashville will receive a recapture penalty of $24.6M

(spread over the remain number of years in the contract).

Yeah, I figured Hall would get traded straight-up for a top-pairing dee (Hamonic > Larsson?). :mex:

And yeah, figured Stammer would re-sign in Tampa. :mex:

Not to brag...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Must've been a serious need for snow removal in Edmonton. That's a terrible trade for Edmonton.

They just traded a top-5 winger for Chris Tanev.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Hockey Widow wrote:
SKYO wrote:Time to trade with Tampa, they gonna be in cap hell asap with Stamkos signed.

These guys are gonna paid no matter what, probables:
Kucherov $6M-$7M
Hedman $9M, Johnson $6M-$7M per
Killorn.
Next season Palat and Drouin will need new contracts.
You think Hedman gets more than Stamkos?

NHLPA not happy with Stamkos right now but I applaud him. He did the tax math and showed some loyalty.
Most people think Hedman gets a PK contract, he's probably more valuable than stammer, lets hope hedman gets to UFA next season. :D when burrows/miller contracts expire.
Yes unlikely, but ya never know.

Anyways gotta start negotiating trades with TB like right now.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Hockey Widow wrote:Great day for Benning. Bergevin and more so Chiarelli now being labeled the worst GMs in the NHL. :mrgreen:
They were the two GMs who seemed the most miffed at Benning's "tampering" amirite?

I'm telling you, the guy is an asshole!!

Chia has now traded the #1 AND #2 overall picks from 2010...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Island Nucklehead wrote:Must've been a serious need for snow removal in Edmonton. That's a terrible trade for Edmonton.

Agreed, but if they add Lucic and another top-4 dee they'd pretty much be a lock for the playoffs no?
____
Try to focus on someday.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Strangelove wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:Must've been a serious need for snow removal in Edmonton. That's a terrible trade for Edmonton.

Agreed, but if they add Lucic and another top-4 dee they'd pretty much be a lock for the playoffs no?
Well McDavid could be the best player (top-3 for sure) in the conference already... so yeah it they can sort out their team defense (not just the defensemen) they could be playoff bound sooner than later.
Hockey Widow
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Hockey Widow »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SR5iuKKsZ_k

If you want to spend 19 minutes listening to Chiarelli on the Hall deal go ahead. Not much new in it.

* the price you have to pay to get a top 4 RHS Dman

*hard trade to make. Hall emotional about deal.

* on paper it looks like Hall is the better player but Larsson is just coming into is ow.

*denys any locker room or off ice issues

*team not done yet

* acknowledges that offence is not what Larsson does best. Still looking for upgrade to add a D man that can contribute to the O

*Larsson a good puck moving D. Good in the D zone. Eats minutes. Plays against other teams top unit. Still developing and coming into is own

* was in on other trades for a D man, particularly a top 4 RHS but couldn't get a trade done for a variety of reasons.

* deal made easier by have the other Finn drop to them. Felt extremely fortunate by that turn of events so made it easier to part with Hall for what some see as a lesser return

* thinks they got value given the market to try and land a top 4 RHS D man ( he stressed that a ton )

*Still active in FA but won't know until July 1 if they are able to get the guys they want but if not he sees a secondary trade market opening up later this summer.

* a knowledgd that cap and expansion protection up front played a role, but a minor one.
Diehard1
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Diehard1 »

Strangelove wrote:

Yep. Not great for the Canucks from a competition standpoint, adding Lucic and Larsson and removing Hall makes them a better team. They've still got some money to spend even after the Lucic signing, so if they grab another D they'll be solid and should be a playoff team. That said, we've been saying that for a few years and they've been a tire fire so who knows.

The division likely just got tougher, depending on what Calgary does as well.
olpaddy
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by olpaddy »

Hockey Widow wrote:Great day for Benning. Bergevin and more so Chiarelli now being labeled the worst GMs in the NHL. :mrgreen: we'll see how long that lasts.

People have to realize a couple of things. You don't have locker room or off ice issues like the Oilers have without 29 other GMs knowing about it. Also, Larsson is not as bad as the Internet spin wheel is making him out to be. Talent for talent, on paper, Edmonton lost big time but the game is played on the ice.

Remember with Kassian none of us knew he had already been through stage one of the substance abuse policy until he entered stage two. Now before I am misunderstood, I am not saying any player on Edmonton has been through stage one. Just pointing out that this stuff does not get mentioned publicaly until it reaches a certain level.

Chiarelli had to pull the trigger and he wasn't getting the offers he thought he could. He would have had he tried to trade Hall as soon as he took over.

The Oilers have the luxury of McJesus and the the German and the other Finn to build around. This move signifies a huge huge cultural shift for the team. The team can not afford to keep such distractions for the betterment of all the new young kids. Add in a Lucic type and Demers and whatever else they get in trading a couple of more pieces and this will be Connor McDavid's team straight up. He gets it. He plays the right way and brings no off ice baggage.

On a side note, the Gudbranson trade is getting more positive feedback now :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
McJesus didn't grow up in Edmonton I still see the look on his face at the lottery he might play the right way but they cannot afford to not be great before he becomes a UFA at 25
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

LOL at you.

Hamonic is a waaaay better D-man than Larssson but didn't you just say that a Hall for Hamonic deal would be a steal for the Isles. Remember this Hall player you love once told the media he won't go in the corners of the ice. Hall - Perimeter Player Extraordinaire

The market place don't think too much of Hall, IN
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

olpaddy wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:Great day for Benning. Bergevin and more so Chiarelli now being labeled the worst GMs in the NHL. :mrgreen: we'll see how long that lasts.

McJesus didn't grow up in Edmonton I still see the look on his face at the lottery he might play the right way but they cannot afford to not be great before he becomes a UFA at 25
Didn't Matthews just sign a massive marketing deal? Oh the benefits of playing in Toronto - McDavids hometown. Yup, McDavid aint signing no bridge deal. Needs to make up for what he could reap in a bigger market like where Matthews is playing. Hey Katz be ready to open up your wallet big time.
Last edited by Chef Boi RD on Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Hockey Widow
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Hockey Widow »

Bergevin saying that given the structure of Weber's contract, should he retire early, they will not be on for any cap recapture, nor would another team if Montreal susequently trades him. All the recapture penalty will fall on Nashville.
Hockey Widow
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Hockey Widow »

I doubt McDavid is asked to sign much of a bridge deal. He'll get a good pay day when his time comes.