Trevor Linden is stepping down in VAN

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Re: Trevor Linden is stepping down in VAN

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Richardstroker69 wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:47 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:42 pm
BladesofSteel wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:28 pm
Hockey Widow wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:12 pm
Benning is/was on board.

It will be interesting to see how Benning handles things.
Jim could win over the fans, ownership and the players by swinging for the fences and improving the team for both the short and long term.

In four plus years on the job, Jim has yet to make a major trade. Every GM makes at least one huge move.

You’re up Jim!
So what’s the major trade here BOS? He has no assets to move other than Horvat, Petterson, Hughes Boeser or Demko or next years 1st. That’s it. You want a major deal you aren’t getting much for Lind, Granlund, Gudbranson etc. Stay the course and rebuild.
Something involving subban
For Subban are you prepared to offer up Hughes, 2019 1st and another piece like Virtanen or Dahlen?
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:50 pm For Subban are you prepared to offer up Hughes, 2019 1st and another piece like Virtanen or Dahlen?
Nope, Tanev and change.....
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Richardstroker69 wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:54 pm Nope, Tanev and change.....
Unless the change is Demko and a 2019 1st Poile will laugh his ass off and hang up the phone
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:03 pm Unless the change is Demko and a 2019 1st Poile will laugh his ass off and hang up the phone
Big personality that rubs teammates the wrong way, Tanev and the first is enough.
BladesofSteel
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by BladesofSteel »

So what’s the major trade here BOS? He has no assets to move other than Horvat, Petterson, Hughes Boeser or Demko or next years 1st. That’s it.

Stay the course and rebuild.
Tanev, Edler, Juolevi, and Gaudette are most certainly desirable assets that could be included in a package.

Having a gaping whole of cap space burning a hole in your bosses nice Armani suit is also an asset.

Part of rebuilding a team is knowing when to strike when the iron is hot.

All I’m saying is, Jim has yet to strike, and Trevor is now out of the picture
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Dick Stroker even if the 1st and Tanev was enough (I think they’d want more), would you be comfortable giving up a top 5 pick along with Tanev for a soon to be 30 year old Pernell Karl??

But it’s me that can’t handle the rebuild

Stay the course but include more picks in the course!!!
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Strangelove wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:56 pm
ukcanuck wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:45 pm There’s a question, would they sell more tickets playing their vets and a hope of winning on any given night and still missing the playoffs and getting hammered by rivals
Or
Playing the kids and losing every night but selling hope?

I know I’d rather see the kids
The kids will play when they're damn well ready.

And lucky for you, that time is now. :mex:
Lucky for us all ;)
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Hockey Widow wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:45 pm Benning and Linden were the ones with the occasional head butting. Perhaps Benning and Aquilini are more inlined in their thinking?

Benning is chomping at the bit to get the kids into the lineup. He’s also shown the propensity to move players out.

We will see.
Cherry Picker wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:27 pm I like the idea of bringing in a marketing nerd as president and leaving Benning to manage the hockey side of things.
Yeah be good imo to leave the Prez job to a person whose focus is just that duty to improve the fan side of things, get ticket sales going, community activities etc.

Perhaps there was just too many cooks in the kitchen, now the management side is more streamlined and some hard decisions can be made with more execution and less hassle.

as hw said, now we can see what JB can do on his own so to speak.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

BladesofSteel wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:10 pm
So what’s the major trade here BOS? He has no assets to move other than Horvat, Petterson, Hughes Boeser or Demko or next years 1st. That’s it.

Stay the course and rebuild.
Tanev, Edler, Juolevi, and Gaudette are most certainly desirable assets that could be included in a package.

Having a gaping whole of cap space burning a hole in your bosses nice Armani suit is also an asset.

Part of rebuilding a team is knowing when to strike when the iron is hot.

All I’m saying is, Jim has yet to strike, and Trevor is now out of the picture
This sort of talk scares the shit out of me, Trade all the older guys you want but don’t touch any kid drafted in the past 5 years.
Puck
MVP
MVP

Post by Puck »

I recall Linden was brought in because it was felt Benning on his own was a little dangerous. Has Elmer gained enough experience to be given the helm unassisted?
Rocky Dennis
CC Veteran

Post by Rocky Dennis »

Whatever your critique/opinion/feelings about Linden are, I see this as nothing but bad news that further confirms this ownership group as a meddling one...an extremely meddling one. One that seems to feel the need to drop bombs on their management structure, what, every 4 years or so? I've said it before here, it's totally reminiscent of nfl washington where fan boy dan snyder has run that once mighty team into the dirt. I fear we become Edmonton West as they force kids into spots they're not yet ready for and try to "balance" that with splashy, overpriced, aging veteran FA's signed to terrible term (see Eriksson, Louie).
There's also the circus side show reputation this must be solidifying within the hockey world. If/when Benning gets the boot, is there any chance of securing a proven, top tier hockey mind to take over in this sort of clownshow? Not likely. Only ones who will last any amount of time will be yes-men. I really hope the kids live up to or surpass the lofty expectations and tske the ball and run with it. If not, we might be in store for another 40+ years like the last 40+, or until the team belongs to someone who isnt interested in playing real life EA NHL. Hope I'm wrong.

Ps. The comments section of Franks twitter is mildly entertaining. Best one i saw was someone questioning why Franscesco doesn't step down to spend more time with his family.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Benning has been working, always busy, (real busy), doing his job to the best of his ability.
Rate that and take that as you see fit.
The point is, he's doing the job he's getting paid to do.

What's Linden doing?
Why did the family hire him?
I seriously believe they thought Trevor would create more excitement and a trust, if you will, from the paying fans.
As time has gone by, Linden has just become more and more distant, (less public eye).
But hey! That's the way he is. Most people know that.
He shouldn't have taken the job.
It shouldn't have been offered to him. Not "The President".

On top of that, I too have heard rumors of Benning wanting to play a harder style of ball with players and contracts.
but being over ruled to some degree.
"evolution"
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

There might be something linking Aquilini to Lombardi but that's not new news.
"evolution"
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:16 pm Dick Stroker even if the 1st and Tanev was enough (I think they’d want more), would you be comfortable giving up a top 5 pick along with Tanev for a soon to be 30 year old Pernell Karl??

But it’s me that can’t handle the rebuild

Stay the course but include more picks in the course!!!
I was just talking shit, if the right deal was there for subban for sure, but no I wouldn’t want to give up futures
Cherry Picker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Cherry Picker »

Just spitballing here, but I wonder if there is another shoe to drop? Obviously there was a significant philosophical difference. Here are a four options I can think of:

1. Maybe there were trades for older stars, Karlsson, Subban types, that would have sent away some of the top prospects. One of Linden or ownership/Benning where for the move and the other was against.

2. Maybe there were differences of opinion about honouring NTC and NMC. One party wants to trade/waive Eriksson or pressure Edler to move, while the other party doesn’t.

3. Maybe there was a difference of opinion about how fast to bring along the kids. One party wants Hughes signed and in the top six, or Pettersson at center, or Gaudette, Juolevi and/or Dahlen on the roster right away, and the other party wants this done more slowly.

4. Maybe the rumour that Linden would hand in his resignation if Benning wasn’t given an extension is true and recently ownership was pressuring Linden to find a replacement for Benning.

I don’t know which side of the argument Linden/Benning/ownership was on, but if any of these are true, there could be significant moves before the regular season starts: 1. A big trade may happen (or maybe avoided ) for a current star. 2. More (or less) of the vets will be traded or waived than expected. 3. More (or fewer) kids will make the starting line-up. 4. Benning will (or will not) be replaced. It won't be surprising if another shoe drops soon.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.