Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

BladesofSteel
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by BladesofSteel »

Vancouver
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Hockey Widow wrote: But others speculate that his wife gets a strong say in this next chapter and she prefers the warmer climates. Could San Jose be on the horizon, a return to California for this hockey wife?

My money, if he chooses to leave Detroit, is on SJS.
Well Babcock made it clear his wife has a HUGE say in where he... they... end up.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

BladesofSteel wrote:Vancouver
Now... that... would be real good.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Hockey Widow
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Hockey Widow »

Shero named new GM of the NJD. Lou hired him so I guess this means Lou will step down as GM and keep his executive role within the organization.
The only HW the Canucks need
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Hockey Widow wrote:Shero named new GM of the NJD. Lou hired him so I guess this means Lou will step down as GM and keep his executive role within the organization.
@Real_ESPNLeBrun

The Penguins have decided they're not going to ask the Devils for a draft pick in return for Ray Shero's hire
Guess they don't want to deal with the devil.
crappyzinger
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Hockey Widow wrote:Shero named new GM of the NJD. Lou hired him so I guess this means Lou will step down as GM and keep his executive role within the organization.
Yeah, Lou will remain president.
http://www.tsn.ca/shero-named-devils-gm ... t-1.274929

The New Jersey Devils named Ray Shero general manager Monday.

Shero takes over for Lou Lamoriello, who has served as president and general manager for the Devils since 1987. Lamoriello will stay on as team president.

Shero had been general manager of the Pittsburgh Penguins from 2006-14, making two Stanley Cup finals and winning in the 2008-09 season.

In Lamoriello’s 28 seasons as Devils GM, the now 72-year resided over three Stanley Cup-winning teams and made the Cup Final two other times.

Shero becomes just the fourth GM in Devils history.
Shero will be Lou's puppet...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

http://www.tsn.ca/he-called-me-every-na ... k-1.274336

Montreal Canadiens enforcer Brandon Prust had some strong words for referee Brad Watson following Sunday night's 6-2 loss to the Tampa Bay Lightning.

Prust claims that Watson, 43, verbally assailed him following a roughing penalty late in the first period.
"I thought the original call was kind of soft and I let him know on the way to the box," said Prust.

Watson assessed Prust a two-minute unsportsmanlike conduct penalty on top of the original minor when the pair appeared to exchange words, but Prust claims that their interaction was initiated by the referee.

"He kept provoking me," said Prust. "He came to the box and called me every name in the book. He called me a piece of you-know-what, a mother-effer, a coward and said he'd drive me right out of this building. I kept going, 'Yeah, okay. Yeah, okay. Yeah, okay.' He kept on me. He kept on me. I kept saying, 'Yeah, okay.' I wasn't looking at him. He teed me up. That's the ref he is. He tries to play God. He tries to control the game and he did that tonight."
"WAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!"

And now Brandon, everyone gets to rightfully call you a "dumb douche"!

Prust to the Leaves for a 1st round pick. :mex:
____
Try to focus on someday.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Strangelove wrote:
http://www.tsn.ca/he-called-me-every-na ... k-1.274336

Montreal Canadiens enforcer Brandon Prust had some strong words for referee Brad Watson following Sunday night's 6-2 loss to the Tampa Bay Lightning.

Prust claims that Watson, 43, verbally assailed him following a roughing penalty late in the first period.
"I thought the original call was kind of soft and I let him know on the way to the box," said Prust.

Watson assessed Prust a two-minute unsportsmanlike conduct penalty on top of the original minor when the pair appeared to exchange words, but Prust claims that their interaction was initiated by the referee.

"He kept provoking me," said Prust. "He came to the box and called me every name in the book. He called me a piece of you-know-what, a mother-effer, a coward and said he'd drive me right out of this building. I kept going, 'Yeah, okay. Yeah, okay. Yeah, okay.' He kept on me. He kept on me. I kept saying, 'Yeah, okay.' I wasn't looking at him. He teed me up. That's the ref he is. He tries to play God. He tries to control the game and he did that tonight."
"WAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!"

And now Brandon, everyone gets to rightfully call you a "dumb douche"!

Prust to the Leaves for a 1st round pick. :mex:

So now Burrows has some company on being on the NHL's dreaded 'refs list' to call numerous penalties on and to let every other player take liberties on em with no call on said player.
Hockey Widow
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Hockey Widow »

Chiarelli has had talks with McLellan, according to SN. He is the front runner according to sources but NJD and leaves also have interest. Decision expected soon after the Worlds.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

SKYO wrote: So now Burrows has some company on being on the NHL's dreaded 'refs list' to call numerous penalties on and to let every other player take liberties on em with no call on said player.
Yeahno, it's different when my buddy Burrows does it bro. :mex:
____
Try to focus on someday.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Strangelove wrote:
SKYO wrote:So now Burrows has some company on being on the NHL's dreaded 'refs list' to call numerous penalties on and to let every other player take liberties on em with no call on said player
Yeahno, it's different when my buddy Burrows does it bro. :mex:
haha aiight.
--

holy!
Jamie Benn had quite the year for the Dallas Stars, but it came at a price.

The forward, who led the league in regular-season scoring with 87 points, underwent arthroscopic surgery on his hip Monday to shave off a growth on the head of his femur and repair cartilage damage.

It was the second hip surgery in a week for the 25-year-old, who underwent surgery on his opposite hip the Monday before.

Benn is expected to miss four-to-five months, Stars head athletic trainer Dave Zeis told The Dallas Morning News.
http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/759955
cfp
AHL Prospect

Post by cfp »

SKYO wrote:
Benn is expected to miss four-to-five months, Stars head athletic trainer Dave Zeis told The Dallas Morning News.
http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/759955
Yup, double hip surgery.

If he can pot 60 points next year I'll be amazed.
Hockey Widow
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Hockey Widow »

Detroit grants permission for Babcock to talk to other teams. Any team wanting to talk to Babcock must first seek permission from Detroit and then sign a mandatory compensation agreement to protect Detroit getting a draft pick. In theory a team could talk to Babcock now but not hire him until after his contract expires thereby trying to get out of paying that third round pick. By signing the compensation agreement it binds that team no matter when they hire him.

But I think it is academic as a team would in all likelihood want him on board asap.

Edmonton, Toronto, Pittsburgh and SJS are said to be seeking permission at this point with several other teams anticipated to seek permission over the next couple of weeks.

Holland has said this does not preclude Babcock from returning to Detroit but rather it is allowing Babcock to explore the market place. Detroit has refused permission for others in their organization to speak to teams.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

trade WD for Babcock. 8-)
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Hockey Widow wrote: Edmonton, Toronto, Pittsburgh and SJS are said to be seeking permission at this point with several other teams anticipated to seek permission over the next couple of weeks.
A bit of a surprise there. You would think, with all the injuries on Pittsburgh's defence this year, that they'd give him at least another kick at it. But I guess when you have a chance to get Babcock you take it. He might like the opportunity to coach a guy like Crosby. The Penguins certainly aren't a team that is devoid of talent or assets. With a couple moves they're right back in the mix.

I wanted Johnston here in Vancouver, wonder if he'd come here as an associate coach under/beside Willie.

Still think McLellan goes to Edmonton (especially after working with Hall and Eberle at the World's). I don't think Babcock wants Toronto, given the ownership shitshow.