Canucks Young Guns

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Canucks Young Guns

Post by Strangelove »

Strangelove wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:14 pm
Hockey Widow wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:31 am So someone more knowledgable than me pkaesa confirm.

If Gaudette's plays one game in the NHL he burns one year on his ELC. Correct?

But he needs to play ten games for the season to count as one pro season. Correct?

If this is true, he will be exempt from the expansion draft as he will either be a first year or second year pro, depending upon when the expansion draft year happens. Correct?
Pretty sure this is correct but I don't have time to check right now.

And yes AHL seasons count.

It seems pretty much for sure the expansion draft will be in 2020.
Actually I was wrong about that... due to his age.

Both Gaudette and Dahlen would have to be protected in a 2020 expansion draft.

But still, we should have no problem protecting all our best young players...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Strangelove wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 10:14 pm
Strangelove wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:14 pm
Hockey Widow wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:31 am So someone more knowledgable than me pkaesa confirm.

If Gaudette's plays one game in the NHL he burns one year on his ELC. Correct?

But he needs to play ten games for the season to count as one pro season. Correct?

If this is true, he will be exempt from the expansion draft as he will either be a first year or second year pro, depending upon when the expansion draft year happens. Correct?
Pretty sure this is correct but I don't have time to check right now.

And yes AHL seasons count.

It seems pretty much for sure the expansion draft will be in 2020.
Actually I was wrong about that... due to his age.

Both Gaudette and Dahlen would have to be protected in a 2020 expansion draft.

But still we should have no problem protecting all out best young players...

It makes it easy when you can expose whomever is still here between Erickson,Gagner and Sutter :)
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
vic
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by vic »

DiPietro wins OHL goalie of the year.

Gaudette
Petersson
Dahlen
Palmu
Dipietro

^ All win a major award in their respective leagues and Boeser a finalist for the Calder after missing 20 games (possibly a strong candidate to win had he played out the year)

:thumbs:
Lancer
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Lancer »

vic wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 10:10 pm DiPietro wins OHL goalie of the year.
If DiPietro lights it up next year or the year after - assuming Demko's development trajectory remains intact - it looks like Benning may have an envious dilemma. You can't keep both. They will both need to take the net on the same team at some point and there's not enough net to spread between them both.

Goaltender prospects don't tend to garner much trade value, but it's another chip where Benning had none before.

A little early for the question, I know, but who do you think becomes the trade bait, knowing that the other becomes the anointed franchise goalie moving forward - Demko or Dipietro?
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

It’s a lot early for the question. They may both become the next Troy Gamble
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Benning has done something Gillis could never do, draft quality netminders. These kind of things are massive for an organization and should be given the respect it deserves.

Joe Cannata
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

RoyalDude wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 6:22 am Benning has done something Gillis could never do, draft quality
As much shit as I give Benning for his trades and initial assessment of the franchise, the above is all that needs to be said.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 6:22 am Benning has done something Gillis could never do, draft quality netminders. These kind of things are massive for an organization and should be given the respect it deserves.

Joe Cannata
It’s good to know the team is set in goal for the next 15 years.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Hank wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:39 pm Way to go, Fred.

A good poster comes respectfully with facts and you go off on your "Respect your Edlers, don't judge me (but I'll judge you) schtick".

Even Reefer thinks you're wrong. Let that sink in.

There's a reason Corn created the Angry Old Senile Man Yelling at Clouds thread. Go take a nap.
So called facts from a money driven system that doesn't work as much as it destroys.

No: The dog pile was not fun but it dawns on me that most need to hear something from a "supposed" source, for it to be valid.
The whole thing was a set-up which I will be proving in the near future.
Carlee will be up for another septoplasty., his or her spelling, very soon. In the literary sense of course. :mrgreen:
I performed at a very high level and I know what works.
One of the reasons I voluntarily held on-ice summer programs for players of all ages and levels at the Richmond Ice Center
for a few years.

Did you know that I can even explain something else.
Say a person has a favorite on-line poker game. Play money, of course. But they want to play more cause they keep running out of money.
But it has to be this game, cause they like the graphics.
Well; All they need is an IP address with, say, two browsers. (URLs). You can even have little mini browsers within your main ones.
In other words, you can play 2 or 5 or 10 or more of the same site and never run out of money. Cool, huh.

I heard Pettersson isn't going to play much.
"evolution"
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Were you huffing scotchguard when you fell off your roof?
Todd Bersnoozi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Strangelove wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 10:14 pm Both Gaudette and Dahlen would have to be protected in a 2020 expansion draft.

But still [W]e should still have no problem protecting all out our best young players...
Todd Bersnoozi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

vic wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 10:10 pm DiPietro wins OHL goalie of the year.
DiPietro assigned to join Team Canada as well. Hope it'll be a great experience for him and he gets to hang with BoHo. :D

http://www.vancourier.com/pass-it-to-bu ... 1.23280427
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

____
Try to focus on someday.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Strangelove wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 11:44 pm A fake teacher, a revenge seeker, and a wee todd walks into a bar...
He walks into a bar and takes a big golden show** on..... :lol:

https://www.dailywritingtips.com/can-yo ... %E2%80%9D/

Huh... revenge? Just helping u out mate. :D
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

But seriously...

This is all a matter of style choices. If I were to write a formal paper, I would certainly refrain from starting sentences with coordinating conjunctions. But why? Because it is not really considered proper grammar. Nor would it be to start a sentence with "because", unless you start with a subordinated clause followed by a "normal" clause within the same sentence.

But there are other venues, other style choices, other sets of rules. And sometimes you even omit an "and" that would be expected. For effect.

In informal language, eg such as used at a god-damned hockey message board, in poetry, in easy-to-read tabloids and in quick paced fiction, it would be quite normal to start sentences with "and", "but" and "because". And why? Because I say so. :look:

No, actually because it allows for shorter sentences and emphasis. These things are of no importance in a formal paper, but can easily be more important than stodgy 19th century grammar preferences in these other arenas I mentioned.

In conclusion, there's really no universal right or wrong here; it all depends on the venue and the style choices of the writer.

In a similar spirit, when Gwen Stephanie (at least I I think it was her), made an updated version of "If I Were A Rich Man", she called it "If I Was A Rich Girl". Not because she did not know how to use a subjunctive, but because it would make the song sound more dated. Thus she went with the grammatically incorrect phrase that sounds more like how young people (and especially Americans) would express themselves. Just like the Beatles littered their songs with Americanisms that were probably not how these Scousers normally expressed themselves, neither in writing or speech. It just sounded cooler, more rock'n'roll. Or whatever.

It is all about style choices and venues.

But what do I know? It's not even my language. :|
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.