Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Mickey107 »

Hockey_God wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:
Hockey_God wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:
vic wrote:PA Parenteau on waivers...1.25m for one season, UFA next.

A RHS who can slot onto the top 6, help on the PP and can be trade bait at the deadline.

I say put in a claim.

Edit: Teemu Pulkkinen also on waivers, 23 year old RW skill brought up in the Red Wings organization. Another good option.

The fact we have not released either Ruutu or Skille tells me we have put in a claim for someone and are waiting to see if we get them before we decide on the PTOs, both of whom practiced with the team today. Of course we could sign either one after the season starts as they are effectively not on our roster until signed.

You don't need any inside connections to figure out GMJB has put in a claim for mini mite Seth Griffith. Jimbo drafted him in 2012 and he played a couple years in London with Bo. He looks like he is on the cusp of becoming the next Patrick Kane...or Ryan Shannon. :mrgreen:
Good insight. You could be right although he is a smurf and a RW.
leaves' snatch Griffith from Jimbo.
Well, that's a slap in the face, Damn :evil:
"evolution"
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Well I'm disappointed we didn't claim either of Pulks or Parento, HOPEFULLY JB is keeping his options open for a bigger fella for a top 6 spot.

A player like Jenner, R. Strome, Mantha, AA....(but I'm not getting my hopes up).
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Do the Canucks need more reclamation projects or do they need to develop the kids they have?
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Topper wrote:Do the Canucks need more reclamation projects or do they need to develop the kids they have?
Know what your saying.
Are we now feeling the full effect of GMMG's apathy the last 2 years of his tenure.
"evolution"
vic
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by vic »

micky107 wrote:
Topper wrote:Do the Canucks need more reclamation projects or do they need to develop the kids they have?
Know what your saying.
Are we now feeling the full effect of GMMG's apathy the last 2 years of his tenure.
the two P's (as Cherry Picker dubbed them) aren't necessarily reclamation projects - Parenteau is only signed for 1 year, Virtanen can develop for a full year in the Minors, no need to have him up here.

Rodin is starting the year on IR - Parenteau would have been a great stop gap.

Put him on a line with Sutter and Hansen and now you have a second line that can score a few goals. Even put Hansen back with the twins because we all know that works and then you have

Sedin - Sedin - Hansen
Parenteau - Sutter - Eriksson
Baertschi - Horvat - Granlund

That's a good top 9 with three youngsters on the 3rd line (or 2b) developing and playing together for the full year.
Cherry Picker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Cherry Picker »

The absence of Ps doesn't make team team worse. It makes the depth worse. If they sign Skille instead, they obviously like him more. I can live with that. He looked okay in the preseason, and neither of the Ps are likely to turn into stars, but they likely score more than Skille. We'll see.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Remember Detroit's pick for getting rid of Datsyuk? turned into Chychrun who just made the Coyotes team, granted their defense wasn't that deep to begin with..
First, the newbies: 18-year-old Jakob Chychrun (16th overall, ’16), 19-year-old Dylan Strome (third overall, ’15), 19-year-old Lawson Crouse (11th overall, ’15) and 20-year-old Christian Dvorak (58th overall, ’14) are all set to make their big league debuts when the Coyotes open against Philly on Saturday.

They’ll be joined by the “old guard” — Max Domi (21 years old), Anthony Duclair (21) and Laurent Dauphin (21), all of whom have varied experience at the NHL level.

It’s an attention-grabbing bit of news from the desert, to say the least.

Head coach Dave Tippett will have his work cut out for him this season. Chychrun, Strome, Crouse and Dvorak are all making the leap directly from junior hockey, and there’s bound to be a significant learning curve ahead.

That said, Tippett seems ready for the challenge.

Aside from being regarded as one of the NHL’s best coaches, Tippett gained some valuable experience coaching younger players at the World Cup, where he was on Todd McLellan’s Team North America staff.

“Young or old, you just want good players,” Tippett said following the tourney, per TSN. “And so many of the young players today are very good players.”
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

SKYO wrote:Remember Detroit's pick for getting rid of Datsyuk? turned into Chychrun who just made the Coyotes team, granted their defense wasn't that deep to begin with..
First, the newbies: 18-year-old Jakob Chychrun (16th overall, ’16), 19-year-old Dylan Strome (third overall, ’15), 19-year-old Lawson Crouse (11th overall, ’15) and 20-year-old Christian Dvorak (58th overall, ’14) are all set to make their big league debuts when the Coyotes open against Philly on Saturday.

They’ll be joined by the “old guard” — Max Domi (21 years old), Anthony Duclair (21) and Laurent Dauphin (21), all of whom have varied experience at the NHL level.

It’s an attention-grabbing bit of news from the desert, to say the least.

Head coach Dave Tippett will have his work cut out for him this season. Chychrun, Strome, Crouse and Dvorak are all making the leap directly from junior hockey, and there’s bound to be a significant learning curve ahead.

That said, Tippett seems ready for the challenge.

Aside from being regarded as one of the NHL’s best coaches, Tippett gained some valuable experience coaching younger players at the World Cup, where he was on Todd McLellan’s Team North America staff.

“Young or old, you just want good players,” Tippett said following the tourney, per TSN. “And so many of the young players today are very good players.”
Doan's pills like sand in the petroleum jelly.

Hockey Widow
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Hockey Widow »

Eichel suffers a high ankle sprain in practice and will start the season on IR. Tough blow for the kid. Those high ankle sprains are a bitch.
The only HW the Canucks need
Hockey Widow
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Hockey Widow »

Quick out with lower body injury. On IR, listed as week to week.

E. Kane to miss "weeks" after breaking three ribs. My experience, 8-12 week recovery but then I wasn't an athlete.

Linholm skating in Sweden as Ducks sign Rakel leaving no cap left, barely any at any rate.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

So Buffalo is already well on its way to drafting Nolan Patrick.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 19 People!
Hockey Widow
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Hockey Widow »

Quick to miss 3-4 MONTHS with a groin injury. LA on the hunt for a number one. A girl can dream.

I like Miller and I applauded Benning's move to sign him. I think he bought us time for Markstrom to find his game. But heck, if we can turn him into a pick and some assets I'd be all for that. Bachman getting lit up today in Utica but I'd still bring him up as Markstrom's backup. Too bad Benning wouldn't.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Hockey Widow wrote:Quick to miss 3-4 MONTHS with a groin injury. LA on the hunt for a number one. A girl can dream.

I like Miller and I applauded Benning's move to sign him. I think he bought us time for Markstrom to find his game. But heck, if we can turn him into a pick and some assets I'd be all for that. Bachman getting lit up today in Utica but I'd still bring him up as Markstrom's backup. Too bad Benning wouldn't.
http://www.canuckscorner.com/forums/vie ... 64#p267164
____
Try to focus on someday.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Hockey Widow wrote:Quick to miss 3-4 MONTHS with a groin injury. LA on the hunt for a number one. A girl can dream.

Won't work. Kings would likely need to shed quite a bit of cap (Miller $6mil, Quick $5.8), fine while LITR holds through and they have ~$1.5 million of space to take up the shortfall.

What happens when Quick returns?

Isn't Bachman Vegas bait?
Last edited by Topper on Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

I very much like your plan, but agree that Benning wouldn't.