Rebooted Around the League - 23/24

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: Rebooted Around the League - 23/24

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Commodore says that about everyone, the dude is bi-polar.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Hockey Widow
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Hockey Widow »

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/ncaa-settleme ... -1.7213431

With NCAA agreeing to settle the antitrust law suit and agreeing to pay athletes moving forward, I wonder if this changes the landscape for hockey players attending pro camps? It has the potential to also draw more players towards the NCAA route, if they know they can earn a pay check for their 4 years as opposed to playing in other leagues where they get nada, or close to it. But of course there are only so many spots available.
The only HW the Canucks need
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

It will be interesting to see where that goes with the NCAA. The big money will go to football and basketball - and I'll guess that what the hockey players might end up with won't be a lot. It could be enough for someone struggling with money, but may not influence a player with an NHL future who will still want the best fit. Interesting times ahead!
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Cornuck wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 1:11 pm It will be interesting to see where that goes with the NCAA. The big money will go to football and basketball - and I'll guess that what the hockey players might end up with won't be a lot. It could be enough for someone struggling with money, but may not influence a player with an NHL future who will still want the best fit. Interesting times ahead!
If I was an 18 year old hockey player that projected to be a top line/pairing or starting goaltender, I would happily go the college route. Sure it delays the big league debut by a couple years, but you come out of that with your education and the option to sign with ANY team. Throw in the ability to actually make money as a player via endorsement deals etc.....yeah it's a no-brainer.

This actually has the potential to change the landscape in the NHL in a huge way.

Think of it from the perspective of teams like Columbus, Winnipeg, Edmonton, Calgary, Ottawa, Utah, Buffalo, and even possibly Minnesota. Not the most attractive destinations by any stretch of the imagination, and a couple of them highly undesirable. When those teams are struggling or rebuilding, and they need that high draft pick to restock the cupboards or even get the game breaking star, well now they could having to pass up on a player because that player says, "No thank you, I'm going back to college, going to snag some endorsement money and then sign anywhere but with you."

Yes, players risk career path altering injuries when they do that, but it's not an impossible scenario.

The NHL might have to look at renegotiating that part of the CBA next go around so that returning to college doesn't potentially strip a team of their rights to a player.
Hockey Widow
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Hockey Widow »

I have heard that there is a strong appetite to close the college loophole. But there are anti trust concerns about that in the USA. Some agents would like to do away with the draft altogether so it will be interesting to see if that takes on a life of its own.

From a hockey perspective though I wonder if college players will now be eligible to attend prospect and rookie camps. It would make sense since the money argument is now gone.
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

Joe Pavelski said he's played his last game.

UW was a big Pavelski fan when Pavelski was UWPavelski. Led the last UW NCAA national championship team.

A member of the famed 2003 draft class -- a 7th rounder -- Pavelski overcame a smaller statute and a choppy stride with brains and guts and hands. 476 career regular season goals; 73 more in the post season. 6th all time for American skaters (though he'll soon be passed by Patrick Kane). More goals than anyone else from that draft class. He didn't look dangerous for Dallas this playoff go around, but he was a good playoff performer over the course of his career. Honestly was pulling for Dallas once the Canucks were eliminated, in part because I wanted to see Pavelski lift the Cup.

The last few years, Pavelski really defied the odds, playing every game in his age 36 to age 39 season, getting 25 goals or more each year (including in the 56 game 2020-21 season) and tallying a shade over .9 points a game. That's ironman stuff. An afterthought in his draft class, then a great college career, and then a long and outstanding--arguably Hall of Fame--NHL career. Love stories like Joe's.

On Wisconsin.
Hono_rary Canadian
donlever
MVP
MVP

Post by donlever »

Great with his stick in and around the net...as good a deflector of the puck as there was.
DeLevering since 1999.
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

donlever wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 1:08 pm Great with his stick in and around the net...as good a deflector of the puck as there was.
Totally. So many tips for goals, so many rebounds.

I think of Pavelski as sort of a "clean" Dino Cicarelli (no crazy stares, trash talk, slashing, spearing, nudity or (alleged) substance use), or the player Canadiens-thought-they-had-in-Brendan-Gallagher-but-didn't.
Hono_rary Canadian
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Hockey Widow wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 2:27 pm I have heard that there is a strong appetite to close the college loophole. But there are anti trust concerns about that in the USA. Some agents would like to do away with the draft altogether so it will be interesting to see if that takes on a life of its own.

From a hockey perspective though I wonder if college players will now be eligible to attend prospect and rookie camps. It would make sense since the money argument is now gone.
I'd like to see the kids sign before college, and the team pays the scholarship/signing bonus. Treat College just like any other league. They are all just businesses anyways.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
theman
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by theman »

Utah narrowed down the list to 6 names: https://twitter.com/reporterchris/statu ... ypyDSQEYrQ

Mountaineers didn't make it. :(
Raile
MVP
MVP

Post by Raile »

theman wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 9:07 am Utah narrowed down the list to 6 names: https://twitter.com/reporterchris/statu ... ypyDSQEYrQ

Mountaineers didn't make it. :(
None of those names sound very good IMO. not great for marketing either.

and jfc don't call it HC, this isn't the league for that.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

The all sound like ECHL names....
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

I think they should combine some of them.

Outlaw Yetis HC
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

I hate them already, and their stinking fans...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Hockey Widow
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Hockey Widow »

Horrible names. I actually prefer HC to all of the other choices. They can then sign all the whiners and divers.