2024 Offseason - moving forward

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Re: 2024 Offseason - moving forward

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

2Fingers wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 4:13 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 4:11 pm OEL was acquired in a shitty trade. He wasn’t offered a contact.
semantics, the point is not to offer or take on bad contracts anymore.

In this new NHL there is no door mat willing to take a bad contract with a real heavy price tag attached.
Agreed. Mikheyev looks like a blunder at this point. He used to be so fast. But they would be wise to move on if they can. He may get that gear back somewhere and the people wanting him to be run out of town right now, will be the same folks that bitch if he puts up 55 points. It didn’t work out. Like the Dickinson trade. But they seem to making more good moves than poor ones.

Does 5.4 x 6 years get it done for Big Z? I like this player. Having toughness that can play a regular shift and is very popular with his teammates and coaches love the kid, cannot be underestimated.

Lindholm signing here makes Pettersson a winger. They have to figure where Peter is best utilized. If it’s on the wall, then sign him. If not, cut him loose. it’s a bit of a crack in the teeth asset wise, but 29th in a mediocre draft, a smallish D man with no future here, a skilled but horrific small winger and a beer leaguer. Hunter may pop, never know. You gotta pay to play. They were a bounce or two from playing Big D. Demko maybe suits up. Silovs had .898 save pctg in the playoffs. He played his ass off and gave them a chance but That her is a far better goalie. They win with Demko. Maybe should have gone to DeSmith at some point. Purely hindsight of course.

Dakota is an interesting one. He’s going to get a huge raise. Maybe you can add a couple years term to get the AAV down. But make no mistake he will get paid. He has low miles despite being 28. College player with not a ton of games under his belt.

Blueger needs to take a similar cap hit and give him two years. Otherwise he’s replaceable.

Lafferty- thanks for a year of solid 4th line play.

Myers, I’d like to see back. The guy got way too much heat. He’s a good hockey player. Of course he was overpaid. He’s apparently a good teammate. I think he’ll take a healthy discount to stay. His crib is in K-Town and he married a Kelowna gal. He wants to be here. Adam Foote/Sergei Gonchar seems to have calmed him down a lot.

Cole was a good soldier but he’s pretty lumbering these days.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

The first question in addressing this issue is: what phase of the competitive cycle do you believe the Canucks to be in?

Are they still building, or is the core Ready to Compete for the Cup and it's just a matter of finding the right support pieces and fitting them under the cap?

It seems that management thinks (or were told to act like they think) the Canucks are in the competitive phase. I want to watch a few more games that matter and hear the injury reports on the under-performing stars before I decide whether I agree with that assessment.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Ronning's Ghost wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 7:01 pm The first question in addressing this issue is: what phase of the competitive cycle do you believe the Canucks to be in?

Are they still building, or is the core Ready to Compete for the Cup and it's just a matter of finding the right support pieces and fitting them under the cap?

It seems that management thinks (or were told to act like they think) the Canucks are in the competitive phase. I want to watch a few more games that matter and hear the injury reports on the under-performing stars before I decide whether I agree with that assessment.
These are the most immediate questions.

When is locker clean out, exit interviews and media day?
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
dbr
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by dbr »

Mëds wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 2:55 pm To thoughts from different sides of the Mikheyev conversation…..

If the Canucks dump Mikheyev then that salary goes elsewhere. Likely a free agent because we don’t have enough depth in the cupboard pushing for that spot. So, why would any team want this player when they could simply sign the free agent that is an apparent upgrade?
Teams that can't land UFAs, and teams that need to reach the lower salary limit (so value is not a priority). If not them, then yes an asset needs to be given up.
I think Mikheyev could have been a complimentary piece to the right centerman…..one that can create space with the puck and then make the hard play that gives Mikheyev the easy one. I think most of us thought Pettersson was that guy, but he’s clearly not.
How many times did we watch Mikheyev shovel the puck into the goalies lap from the slot this year, or get a breakaway or odd man rush that amounted to nothing? How much better do the chances need to get? I'm all for the Canucks producing back door tap-ins, but if Ilya fucking Mikheyev is on the other end of them it seems like wasted effort IMO.

edit: If this team has a plan for Mikheyev then fine, whatever, they've certainly earned this fan's patience. But from my couch it seems an awful lot like that $4.75m would be better spent on Blueger and a raise for Dakota Joshua than it is on him.
JelloPuddingPop
MVP
MVP

Post by JelloPuddingPop »

The Russian hurt his knee a year ago - and was an ACL injury that required surgery.

Sometimes it takes a year or so for a player to get back up to speed - if he doesn't get hurt again - and that is a big IF, maybe we see some of his speed back this year after a healthy summer of training?

It will never fix his stone hands, but the speed certainly backs defenders off, creates space and makes goalies move. Might add up to 15 goals, and some speed on the forecheck, which they were certainly lacking against EDM in the playoffs.

Or trade him to Chi-town, for futures and use the cap space better. If thats a possibility.
Picker of Cherries
CC Veteran

Post by Picker of Cherries »

One good thing is that it shouldn’t be too difficult to attract FAs with the improved team results, active and respected team management, and a very good coaching staff. Many players will prefer playing for this team over many others. I think the management will make a few reasonable offers and stick to them and then fill some of the missing pieces with shrewd pick-ups late after the expensive FAs are off the table. Players like Suter and Cole were good pick-ups at cheap cap hits. I expect more of these kinds of signings. Won’t be at all surprised if there are very few of the Canucks current FAs signed, which might be a good thing since they all look to be asking for overpayment. I won’t worry much about this roster until they drop the puck in October. It will be a different team next year, but the core is set.
“Gentlemen, you can't fight in here. This is the war room.”
- President Merkin Muffley
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

JelloPuddingPop wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 8:20 am The Russian hurt his knee a year ago - and was an ACL injury that required surgery.

Sometimes it takes a year or so for a player to get back up to speed - if he doesn't get hurt again - and that is a big IF, maybe we see some of his speed back this year after a healthy summer of training?

It will never fix his stone hands, but the speed certainly backs defenders off, creates space and makes goalies move. Might add up to 15 goals, and some speed on the forecheck, which they were certainly lacking against EDM in the playoffs.

Or trade him to Chi-town, for futures and use the cap space better. If thats a possibility.
The Mikheyev contract is a black eye on the new regimes work to date. They need to sweep this under the carpet quickly. We got bigger fish to fry.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
JelloPuddingPop
MVP
MVP

Post by JelloPuddingPop »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 11:04 am
JelloPuddingPop wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 8:20 am The Russian hurt his knee a year ago - and was an ACL injury that required surgery.

The Mikheyev contract is a black eye on the new regimes work to date. They need to sweep this under the carpet quickly. We got bigger fish to fry.
I would just hate to see them double down on a mistake - and have to attach any kind of "sweetener" to a deal to get rid of him, or worse, a buyout that costs $ without a roster player. He is certainly overpaid, but those two alternatives are worse in my view.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 7:27 am
Ronning's Ghost wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 7:01 pm The first question in addressing this issue is: what phase of the competitive cycle do you believe the Canucks to be in?

Today.

Petey saying he has been dealing with a knee injury since the ASG. Non-surgical, just rest and time.

I call bullshit. You don’t let your “big gun” play through that when you’re pretty much already locked into a playoff spot and you know you’ll need him for the post-season.

Petey playing his best hockey probably means 4 or 5 more goals from him, and a couple more from others and that puts Vancouver in the conference finals.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Knee tendinitis makes complete sense. His skating lacked pop and so did his shot. I expect to see a better player in October.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Raile
MVP
MVP

Post by Raile »

JelloPuddingPop wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 3:20 pm
Chef Boi RD wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 11:04 am

I would just hate to see them double down on a mistake - and have to attach any kind of "sweetener" to a deal to get rid of him, or worse, a buyout that costs $ without a roster player. He is certainly overpaid, but those two alternatives are worse in my view.
He was playing reasonably well at the start of the season iirc. The team should look at what they expect a summer of rehab/rest will do for him. I can't imagine for a second that he is now a 1 goal in 60+ games player going forward.
Not saying he'll be worth his cap hit but you've got to look at what it'll cost to lose him.. I expect it will cost a first round pick so he damn well better be a player that can no longer play for that cost.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Mëds wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 3:29 pm
Madcombinepilot wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 7:27 am

Today.

Petey saying he has been dealing with a knee injury since the ASG. Non-surgical, just rest and time.

I call bullshit. You don’t let your “big gun” play through that when you’re pretty much already locked into a playoff spot and you know you’ll need him for the post-season.

Petey playing his best hockey probably means 4 or 5 more goals from him, and a couple more from others and that puts Vancouver in the conference finals.
Chef has moved on from his Gillis slams but boi ole boi Mëds your hate for Pettersson is massive!!! I would say it’s bigger than Blobs hate for Elms at the moment
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 3:40 pm Knee tendinitis makes complete sense. His skating lacked pop and so did his shot. I expect to see a better player in October.
His skating didn’t look right so it makes sense.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Pay the necessary price to dump Mikheyev.

Re-sign Zadorov and Joshua, give them extra term to keep the cap-hit lower.

Re-sign Hronek at $7M-ish x 8 (if he insists on more, trade him for Petey's new winger).

Re-sign Myers at $3M x 2.

Sign Arty Sheila to his first one-way contract.

Get another top-6 scoring winger with grit by trade or UFA-signing.

Upgrade the bottom 6 with grit.

Sign Tanev.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Strangelove wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 4:12 pm Pay the necessary price to dump Mikheyev.

Re-sign Zadorov and Joshua, give them extra term to keep the cap-hit lower.

Re-sign Hronek at $7M-ish x 8 (if he insists on more, trade him for Petey's new winger).

Re-sign Myers at $3M x 2.

Sign Arty Sheila to his first one-way contract.

Get another top-6 scoring winger with grit by trade or UFA-signing.

Upgrade the bottom 6 with grit.

Sign Tanev.
Doc is there enough money for all that? What about Boesers extension?