2024 Offseason - moving forward

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

2024 Offseason - moving forward

Post by Cornuck »

The "Post Season Wrap Up" seems to have run its course, so let's get focussed on "moving forward".

Save the other thread for looking back and remembering a great season.

Who stays, who goes? Who do you bring in?
theman
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: 2024 Offseason - moving forward

Post by theman »

Canucks have 15 players signed and ready to go for the big club out of 23 roster spots. Also have just under 24 mil in cap space.

Would love to bring back:

Zadorov
Hronek
Lindholm
Blueger
Myers

Obviously for the right price.

Would bring back Cole for league minimum as a mentor role but that would also depend on who else the bring back.

If the Canucks can get Hronek, Zadorov and Myers signed for around $15 mil, then they did very well with solidifying the defence for next season.

That leaves roughly 9 mil to sort out the forwards.

Dumping Mikheyev might be the key to the entire off season.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

^^ Pretty much what I would like to see, but it will be tough.

Do we worry about the draft this year and try to pick up a 1st or 2nd round pick, or just cruise through it? I don't think we have the disposable assets to move for a decent pick.

At least management can concentrate on getting signings done, and be ready for July 1st.
dbr
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by dbr »

I'd be looking to move Mikheyev for a similar white elephant player on the blueline, I don't really know who that is though. There are a few guys out there with similar money and identical term on teams that are probably looking to make changes.. Leddy in St Louis, Jensen and Trevor van Riemsdyk in Washington, Erik Gudbranson in Columbus. If not that I'd be trying to sell him as a serviceable vet who won't burn you playing significant minutes, for teams like Chicago or San Jose that are trying to turn a corner.

Ultimately I don't want to lose more draft picks or commit to another buyout, but he's gotta go if all he can give us is mobility and an active stick.
theman
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by theman »

dbr wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 10:15 am I'd be looking to move Mikheyev for a similar white elephant player on the blueline, I don't really know who that is though. There are a few guys out there with similar money and identical term on teams that are probably looking to make changes.. Leddy in St Louis, Jensen and Trevor van Riemsdyk in Washington, Erik Gudbranson in Columbus. If not that I'd be trying to sell him as a serviceable vet who won't burn you playing significant minutes, for teams like Chicago or San Jose that are trying to turn a corner.

Ultimately I don't want to lose more draft picks or commit to another buyout, but he's gotta go if all he can give us is mobility and an active stick.
Or I, If I were the Canucks, would be looking at teams like Utah or Anaheim as well. They have not used any salary retention spots and could help facilitate a trade where Van doesn't have to give up anything else other than a low pick and get rid of most of his contract.

Example:

Canucks
retain 25%
get 7th round pick

Anaheim:
5th round pick
50% retain

3rd team - team that wants forward depth but has minimal cap space:
Mikheyev at 25% salary.
dbr
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by dbr »

Good call, even that ~$1.2m is more than I'd like to have on the books but unloading three quarters of his salary would be helpful for sure. We'd probably get nothing back (entire return goes to the team giving up a retention slot and $2.4m of cap space for 2 years) though.
Raile
MVP
MVP

Post by Raile »

theman wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 10:19 am
dbr wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 10:15 am I'd be looking to move Mikheyev for a similar white elephant player on the blueline, I don't really know who that is though. There are a few guys out there with similar money and identical term on teams that are probably looking to make changes.. Leddy in St Louis, Jensen and Trevor van Riemsdyk in Washington, Erik Gudbranson in Columbus. If not that I'd be trying to sell him as a serviceable vet who won't burn you playing significant minutes, for teams like Chicago or San Jose that are trying to turn a corner.

Or I, If I were the Canucks, would be looking at teams like Utah or Anaheim as well. They have not used any salary retention spots and could help facilitate a trade where Van doesn't have to give up anything else other than a low pick and get rid of most of his contract.

Example:

Canucks
retain 25%
get 7th round pick

Anaheim:
5th round pick
50% retain

Mikheyev at 25% salary.
do you have any recent examples of cap space costing so little to offload? I can't see it.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Keep in mind, the White Mammoth’s buyout takes a jump next season.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
theman
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by theman »

Raile wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 10:35 am
theman wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 10:19 am

Example:

Canucks
retain 25%
get 7th round pick

Anaheim:
5th round pick
50% retain

Mikheyev at 25% salary.
do you have any recent examples of cap space costing so little to offload? I can't see it.
No.

As per someone else said, Canucks could just get 'future considerations' back. Give Anaheim another pick to be the middle team in that scenario.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

To thoughts from different sides of the Mikheyev conversation…..

If the Canucks dump Mikheyev then that salary goes elsewhere. Likely a free agent because we don’t have enough depth in the cupboard pushing for that spot. So, why would any team want this player when they could simply sign the free agent that is an apparent upgrade?

I think Mikheyev could have been a complimentary piece to the right centerman…..one that can create space with the puck and then make the hard play that gives Mikheyev the easy one. I think most of us thought Pettersson was that guy, but he’s clearly not.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Mikheyev buyout cap hit:

2024-25... $1,150,000
2025-26... $2,150,000
2026-27... $1,550,000
2027-28... $1,550,000
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Strangelove wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 2:57 pm Mikheyev buyout cap hit:

2024-25... $1,150,000
2025-26... $2,150,000
2026-27... $1,550,000
2027-28... $1,550,000
Yeah that's too deep of a shafting. I'd say he gets another year in van just in case his recovery was to blame for him missing that separation gear that we thought we were getting.
If you need air...call it in
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Buyout for OEL, buyout for the Russian and then there is talk about 6x6 for another Russian.

Can this team just stop with offering contracts and then get stuck with something that cannot be moved in a few years.

No to big Z at 6x6, no to Hronek for $8M and no to Lindholm for anything, just because he played well in a few playoff games I hope they do not give him any term.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

OEL was acquired in a shitty trade. He wasn’t offered a contact.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 4:11 pm OEL was acquired in a shitty trade. He wasn’t offered a contact.
semantics, the point is not to offer or take on bad contracts anymore.

In this new NHL there is no door mat willing to take a bad contract with a real heavy price tag attached.