The Official Dave Ayres CC "All Thing Leaves" thread

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: The Official CC "All Thing Leaves" thread

Post by BigTuna »

Strangelove wrote:
BigTuna wrote:They have a ton of cap $ coming off the books this summer.
Some of those UFAs need to be replaced.. also raises to Hyman/Brown/Zaitsev will eat most of that up.

Don't forget Cowan is a $650K credit this year, will be a $750K cap-hit next ($1.4M spread).

And Leaves will want to have room for ELC bonuses.

That plus "the sophomore jinx" all add up to a step backwards next year for your Leaves.

Not to mention the law of averages catching up to them in regards to injuries...
That does nor explain how they cannot afford to keep JVR. They have the $. Thank you Ottawa and Columbus. With Clarkson and Phaneuf there would be no room for a JVR contract.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

BigTuna wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:Kapanen the Saviour. Have there EVER been any player who has put up some decent numbers in the AHL and never matched those feats in the NHL? Hmmmmmm
"The Saviour"? He can't crack the lineup.
Because the 5'-11" wafer thin RW - Shosnikov and his amazing 4 goals and 3 assists in 47 games is too much for RW Kapanen to displace. :lol:
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna »

RoyalDude wrote:
BigTuna wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:Kapanen the Saviour. Have there EVER been any player who has put up some decent numbers in the AHL and never matched those feats in the NHL? Hmmmmmm
"The Saviour"? He can't crack the lineup.
Because the 5'-11" wafer thin RW - Shosnikov and his amazing 4 goals and 3 assists in 47 games is too much for RW Kapanen to displace. :lol:
Shosnikov plays on the 4th line. Why do the leaves want Kapanen rotting on the 4th line? That makes no sense for developing a young player.

Who cares about his size? We've seen the predictions on this board about how bad little Marner would be.
sk8er
CC Rookie

Post by sk8er »

I never thought tuna could get boring. You can mix it with mayo, or pickles, all kinds of things, but this tuna here on this god dam hockey site is god damn stinkin boring...........
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

BigTuna wrote:
Strangelove wrote:
Some of those UFAs need to be replaced.. also raises to Hyman/Brown/Zaitsev will eat most of that up.

Don't forget Cowan is a $650K credit this year, will be a $750K cap-hit next ($1.4M spread).

That plus "the sophomore jinx" all add up to a step backwards next year for your Leaves.

Not to mention the law of averages catching up to them in regards to injuries...
That does nor explain how they cannot afford to keep JVR.
YOU said Leaves have "a ton of cap $ coming off the books this summer"

Thus my response.

JVR becomes a UFA in 1.3 years...
BigTuna wrote: They have the $. Thank you Ottawa and Columbus. With Clarkson and Phaneuf there would be no room for a JVR contract.
Well JVR will want a huge raise as a UFA, hard to predict what their cap-space will be like in 1.3 yrs.

Phaneuf was overpaid, but JVR (like all UFAs) will also be "overpaid".

Leaves traded Clarkson for Horton.

Horton's contract is even worse than Clarkson's contract at this point.

(neither will play again, but at least Clarkson's contract is covered by insurance)

(you could move Clarkson's contract to a poor team looking to reach the cap-floor, but not Horton's)

Next 2 years, Leaves have about as much cap-eating rookie bonus money as Horton's contract.

This means that putting him on LTIR is fruitless - over this season + the next 2.

(putting Horton on LTIR would make those bonuses count on the following season's cap)

But hey, you're used to Leaves failing amirite?

As a matter of fact you may even be a glutton for punishment. :mex:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

BigTuna wrote: Who cares about his size? We've seen the predictions on this board about how bad little Marner would be.
Annnnnd... right on cue Marner goes off with an injury. :drink:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Like I've said a thousand times before, Marner and his 160 lbs is one hit away from annihilation. Anyone notice how quiet Gaudreau has been since he was crunched a while back? But no worries they can replace the mouse with the 5'-11" - 175 lb Kapanen or the 5'-11" 175 lb Shoshnikov or the 5'-9" 170 lb Jeremy Bracco. So many smurf options. The Toronto Maple Smurfs. So Blue like the true smurfs they are.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

sk8er wrote:I never thought tuna could get boring. You can mix it with mayo, or pickles, all kinds of things, but this tuna here on this god dam hockey site is god damn stinkin boring...........
Damn straight. But I just come here to be entertained by the Doc & RD tuna-trolling rebuttals.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 19 People!
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

RoyalDude wrote:So many smurf options. The Toronto Maple Smurfs. So Blue like the true smurfs they are.
Lol
Dont forget they have turtle Kadri and one punch KO Martin to save the day :lol:
Come to think of it Kadri is sort of like gargamel and Martin that cat thing
If you need air...call it in
BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna »

Strangelove wrote:
BigTuna wrote:
Strangelove wrote:

That does nor explain how they cannot afford to keep JVR.
YOU said Leaves have "a ton of cap $ coming off the books this summer"

Thus my response.

JVR becomes a UFA in 1.3 years...
BigTuna wrote: They have the $. Thank you Ottawa and Columbus. With Clarkson and Phaneuf there would be no room for a JVR contract.
Well JVR will want a huge raise as a UFA, hard to predict what their cap-space will be like in 1.3 yrs.

Phaneuf was overpaid, but JVR (like all UFAs) will also be "overpaid".

Leaves traded Clarkson for Horton.

Horton's contract is even worse than Clarkson's contract at this point.

(neither will play again, but at least Clarkson's contract is covered by insurance)

(you could move Clarkson's contract to a poor team looking to reach the cap-floor, but not Horton's)

Next 2 years, Leaves have about as much cap-eating rookie bonus money as Horton's contract.

This means that putting him on LTIR is fruitless - over this season + the next 2.

(putting Horton on LTIR would make those bonuses count on the following season's cap)

But hey, you're used to Leaves failing amirite?

As a matter of fact you may even be a glutton for punishment. :mex:

http://www.thescore.com/news/1204559
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

The reason all these rookie bonuses are an issue is that they can’t roll into LTIR space. And any bonuses that exceed the cap (up to a maximum of $5.475 million) get rolled over into next season.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Biggest non-story ever.

It doesn't matter when they go on LTIR, first day of the season or tomorrow

... what matters is if+when they actually use it.

That space was always available (I put up some lengthy threads about it in September).

But as I said at the time... and as IN just pointed out... there are dire consequences for using it.

Use the LTIR room or don't

... either way the Leaves are screwed by bonuses + Horton/Lupul/etc long-term injuries.
____
Try to focus on someday.
BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna »

Strangelove wrote:
Biggest non-story ever.

It doesn't matter when they go on LTIR, first day of the season or tomorrow

... what matters is if+when they actually use it.

That space was always available (I put up some lengthy threads about it in September).

But as I said at the time... and as IN just pointed out... there are dire consequences for using it.

Use the LTIR room or don't

... either way the Leaves are screwed by bonuses + Horton/Lupul/etc long-term injuries.
So other young teams are not?
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

BigTuna wrote: So other young teams are not?
That is correct.

Other young teams do not have $10.5M tied up in LTIR in 2 players (Horton + Lupul).

(at least Robidas comes off the books this summer)

Look Tuna, I'm not trying to be some kind of asshole here, I'm just reporting the facts.

You've been through enough, Leaves are a cursed team, they will bring you nothing but sorrow.

There is no shame in dumping them at this point and moving on...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Strangelove wrote:Other young teams do not have $10.5M tied up in LTIR in 2 players (Horton + Lupul).
Those need to be on the opening day roster don't they?

Do they still cause havoc with off season overages?
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.